• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man Keys

64 posts in this topic

Here is the definitive list of Spider-Man keys:

#1 - 1st appearance in his own title

#2 - 1st Vulture

#3 - 1st Doctor Octopus

#4 - 1st Sandman

#6 - 1st Lizard

#13 - 1st Mysterio

#14 - 1st Green Goblin

#15 - 1st Kraven

#41 - 1st Rhino

#50 - 1st Kingpin

#101 - 1st Morbius

#121 - Death of Gwen Stacy

#122 - Death of Green Goblin

#129 - 1st Punisher

#136 - 1st new Green Goblin

#194 - 1st Black Cat

#238 - 1st Hobgoblin

#298 - 1st Todd McFarlane art

#300 - 1st Venom

#344 - 1st Carnage

Annual #1 - 1st Sinister Six

Annual #21 - Spider-Man marries Mary Jane

and there you have it! acclaim.gif

Why wouldn't you call #20 (first Scorpion) a key? What about #39 and #40? Just because they aren't first appearances? Or #42 (first full revelation of MJ)? 96-98 have always been considered keys too in every discussion I've ever seen.

Here is the definitive list of Spider-Man keys:

#1 - 1st appearance in his own title

#2 - 1st Vulture

#3 - 1st Doctor Octopus

#4 - 1st Sandman

#6 - 1st Lizard

#13 - 1st Mysterio

#14 - 1st Green Goblin

#15 - 1st Kraven

#41 - 1st Rhino

#50 - 1st Kingpin

#101 - 1st Morbius

#121 - Death of Gwen Stacy

#122 - Death of Green Goblin

#129 - 1st Punisher

#136 - 1st new Green Goblin

#194 - 1st Black Cat

#238 - 1st Hobgoblin

#298 - 1st Todd McFarlane art

#300 - 1st Venom

#344 - 1st Carnage

Annual #1 - 1st Sinister Six

Annual #21 - Spider-Man marries Mary Jane

and there you have it! acclaim.gif

Why wouldn't you call #20 (first Scorpion) a key? What about #39 and #40? Just because they aren't first appearances? Or #42 (first full revelation of MJ)? 96-98 have always been considered keys too in every discussion I've ever seen.

Not to mention #9 First Electro, #25 First MJ, #31 First Gwen & Harry etc, etc...

It appears you're one of the ppl that doesn't consider 28 a key. Why is that?

Why is #28 a key? First Molten Man? You don't consider the first Carnage a key, but the first Molten Man is? If #28 is a key, then #18(Ned leeds), #22(Princess Python), #36(Looter), #46( Shocker), 52(Robbie Robertson), 56(Captain Stacy), 67(Randy Robertson), #73(first Man Mountain Marko and Silvermane), #78(prowler), 83(Vanessa Fisk), 93(Arthur Stacy), 110(Gibbon), 113(Hammerhead), 126(Man-Wolf), 134(Tarantula), are all Key. All these characters had just as much impact as Molten Man, and I could keep going all night with all the issues which featured first appearances of D-List characters.

Let's just say ASM 1-200 are all key, because they're sure as heck priced like keys. tongue.gif

What about 102, 119-120, 149, 194, 294, 344-345, 361, and Annual #'s 1, 21?

makepoint.gif

Face it...Darn near the whole title is a key. poke2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifcloud9.gif

Even the first appearances of The Ringer, Gibbon, Kangaroo and Big Wheel? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifblush.giftongue.gif

I put Big Wheel above Mysterio. thumbsup2.gif

I'd argue that it's a classic cover (which is part of the allure of 39/40), and features one of the original ASM villains. A case could be made for 18. However, lots of the other characters you mentioned aren't reoccuring characters (other than Shocker). And Molten Man has been in and out of the Spider-man titles since his original appearance. Carnage was influential in the 90's but until the USM title has been non-existant.

Brian

What about 102, 119-120, 149, 194, 294, 344-345, 361, and Annual #'s 1, 21?

makepoint.gif

Face it...Darn near the whole title is a key. poke2.gif

These days I would agree, isnt like rocket racers 1st app. a minor key now 27_laughing.gif

And Molten Man has been in and out of the Spider-man titles since his original appearance.

So has Tarantula, Hammerhead, Silvermane, Man-Wolf, and even Man-Mountain-Marko. I remember picking up a Web of Spidey off the stands in the 80's with him in it. And PPSM was chalk-filled with these guys also.

Plus, I would say that #52 is a fairly significant issue, seeing as how Robbie Robertson has consistently been a part of all the Spidey titles for the last 30+ years.

I'd argue that it's a classic cover

The whole "classic cover" thing is way too subjective. Otherwise, I would be promoting #59, #69, #75 and many others as keys.

For some reason I really like Shocker. He just seems cool.

I've always liked him too, for no particular reason.

So has Tarantula, Hammerhead, Silvermane, Man-Wolf, and even Man-Mountain-Marko. I remember picking up a Web of Spidey off the stands in the 80's with him in it.

As do I, but they're long gone now. Not to mention they showed up far later in Spider-man chronology and weren't very tied in to the history and development of the characters which I'd consider core to the book. Tarantula just seems to show up from time-to-time get into a fight with Spiderman for no particular reason and then be gone, same goes for Silvermane/Man-Mountain

The whole "classic cover" thing is way too subjective. Otherwise, I would be promoting #59, #69, #75 and many others as keys.

Shrug, classic cover is and always will be popular opinion. But I haven't heard many ppl stating that 69 or 75 are classics? Have you seen many other all-black covers?

But I haven't heard many ppl stating that 69 or 75 are classics?
\

Every major fan of Romita ASM I've spoken to has referred to these 2 covers at some point. They are very popular as far as I've seen.

Anyway, we could debate all night, but the bottom line for me is every issue from 1-150 is key, because the title rules all of comicdom.

But I haven't heard many ppl stating that 69 or 75 are classics?
\

Every major fan of Romita ASM I've spoken to has referred to these 2 covers at some point. They are very popular as far as I've seen.

Anyway, we could debate all night, but the bottom line for me is every issue from 1-150 is key, because the title rules all of comicdom.

hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gifyay.gif