• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling & shipping books

32 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I have been on these boards for several years and read them daily. I have also purchased several CGC books through board members on here with terrific results.

It has now become time for me to start selling my CGC books due to my kids going to college and other financial reasons.

I have read the rules for selling and was wondering is USPS Priority Mail insured in a priority box the easiest and best way to ship the CGC books?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

jeff

I would believe so but I know the flat rate box is a little too short to fit a slabbed book in safely.

you can order for free from usps.com all sorts of different size boxes and find the ones that would work the best based on the dimensions.

If you can still order the 1095 boxes from USPS they can fit 2 slabs fairly comfortably.

Any more than that get a big enough box to fit whatever you are mailing.

I individually wrap each slab in small bubblewrap with cardboard separating each individual slab, then wrap everything with large bubble wrap. The rest of the packing is the styrofoam peanuts, as they add almost nothing to the weight of the package.

Thanks...I will check and see if my local post office has the 1095 boxes.

They won't. You have to order them OL. They are free. I just ordered some last month.

Take the couple slabs, wrap in bubble wrap, place in a 1092 priority box. build up a 1095 box and place about 2 runs of wrap at the bottom of the box, drop in the 1092 and place 2 runs of wrap on the top. Seal up the 1095.

The PO won't have them. You have to order them at usps.com

It's easy to do, though. You get them in 5 or 6 days.

Just stick a stamp on the slab & let it ride. :headbang:

OMG that was HILARIOUS when they did that! :roflmao:

Someone did that?!?

What kind of *spoon* is that stupid?

They did for fun just to see what would happen. It wasn't a valuable book. I forgot how many different addresses it made it to before they had to stop.

If you can still order the 1095 boxes from USPS they can fit 2 slabs fairly comfortably.

Any more than that get a big enough box to fit whatever you are mailing.

I individually wrap each slab in small bubblewrap with cardboard separating each individual slab, then wrap everything with large bubble wrap. The rest of the packing is the styrofoam peanuts, as they add almost nothing to the weight of the package.

I think this is key. A lot of people skip this step, relying only on bubble wrap. Bubble wrap is great, but I think you need the cardboard to really protect against something hard being dropped on the box in transit. I've received a couple of cracked slabs in boxes with significant dents in them.

Here's my 2 cents.

In my experience, the USPS 1095 box, plus bubble wrap and packing peanuts (or similar) provides adequate safety and is the most cost-effective option. If you are only sending 1 or 2 slabs, it is generally less expensive than sending in a Flat Rate Box.

Double boxing a 1095 with a 1092 is probably the safest way to do it, but is overkill in my opinion. It also makes for a heavier box, which will cost more to ship.

The Medium Flat Rate box is OK too, but like others have said it is a little too short. However, I have sent and received many CGC books in a well-padded Medium Flat Rate Box with no problems.

A 1092 box by itself is too small to be safe! Don't use a 1092 by itself!

An old fashioned brown cardboard box is fine too, but they generally weigh more than the USPS boxes, are slightly bigger and will, therefore, cost more to ship. Also, unless you are recycling an old box, you will have to buy this type of box, which, obviously, will add to the shipping costs.

Finally, do NOT write "Fragile" on the box. This seems to be a trigger for some postal employees to mishandle the box.

Just stick a stamp on the slab & let it ride. :headbang:

OMG that was HILARIOUS when they did that! :roflmao:

Someone did that?!?

What kind of *spoon* is that stupid?

They did for fun just to see what would happen. It wasn't a valuable book. I forgot how many different addresses it made it to before they had to stop.

I think there were 4 or 5 slabs going around. Then they all disappeared.

:(

I did find out that a regular CGC slab will fit in a standard mailbox this way. I used to have pics to prove it.

:)

-slym

Take the couple slabs, wrap in bubble wrap, place in a 1092 priority box. build up a 1095 box and place about 2 runs of wrap at the bottom of the box, drop in the 1092 and place 2 runs of wrap on the top. Seal up the 1095.

^^

Finally, do NOT write "Fragile" on the box. This seems to be a trigger for some postal employees to mishandle the box.

The clerk at my local PO told me this exact thing. :eek: I asked her to stamp it Fragile and she said (tsk) When I asked her why, she said that if postmen are having a bad day, they might take "extra care" of that package. Sad, but probably the ugly truth. :(

Here's the online link where you can order them for free.

Note: Even though it is tempting to order much more than you need, you're better off only ordering one or two boxes worth (such as 2 orders of 10, or 1 order of 25). I made the mistake of over-estimating what I needed, and I've had these big boxes of shipping supplies taking up space for a long time.

146729.jpg.0be06de32fcaf3ef4bf18bdd3953dff8.jpg