• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Fantastic Four 5 GRADE IS IN

87 posts in this topic

Tim I respect your opinion but as someone who's sent many books to be graded, there are going to be winners and losers.

I've monitored Josh's submissions and I think he would agree that he's had a few more "wins" than losses.

Does that excuse CGC from assigning an incorrect grade? No, however is the grade this book received really unexplainable? Is CGC way off on the score? I think not.

I think I could find greater CGC grading inconsistencies in other PGM threads than this one.

Tim I respect your opinion but as someone who's sent many books to be graded, there are going to be winners and losers.

I've monitored Josh's submissions and I think he would agree that he's had a few more "wins" than losses.

Does that excuse CGC from assigning an incorrect grade? No, however is the grade this book received really unexplainable? Is CGC way off on the score? I think not.

I think I could find greater CGC grading inconsistencies in other PGM threads than this one.

lvSxouC.jpg

coffeescreen.gif

Since Joey received this book and had it in hand, I would love to hear his take on it.

+1 I too would appreciate Joey's unbiased input.

And I was only joking about casting the first stone! :baiting:

This. :grin:

It's a great book to have slabbed (thumbs u :applause:

:gossip: (Before it falls apart lol )

My 2c ... Unless the covers are hanging together by just a few threads, I do think 2.0 is harsh, even taking into account the staining, the top/bottom spine splits and some potential spine weakness in the middle. (shrug)

The eye appeal is strong for a lower-grade book... look how clean the image area is, and how crisp the edges are. And from the shot of the back, the staple areas look secure enough.

Even if the graders thought the spine was iffy, I'd think at the very least this would be a good candidate for a 2.5... "fits the criteria for Good but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount."

I would agree here that it looks more like a 2.5. but there could still be something in the interior that we can't see.

Joey's opinion, sad to say, is not CGC's. Two years ago at Chicago I had him go over an F.F. #13 for onsite. I also had board member ARK look at the book. Front, back and inside. We all agreed it was in the 7.0 range. Book came back 5.0. :o

Everyone keeps talking about the spine being fragile but it is not. The book is firmly attached at the staples. The splits are at the top and bottom.

I would agree that I have had some submission winners in the past 5 months but that doesn't excuse this book being a full 1.0 to 1.5 off. All of my key books are in the 1.0 to 3.5 range (as you can see in my signature) and there is no way this book is a 2.0 by comparison. My ASM 14 for example has big pieces missing along the spine. I've already discussed the ASM 1 which has water damage and staining along the entire spine. And my ASM5 cover was reinforced with tape along the length of the spine. A simple comparison shows this book is not a 2.0.

I would agree here that it looks more like a 2.5. but there could still be something in the interior that we can't see.

Joey's opinion, sad to say, is not CGC's. Two years ago at Chicago I had him go over an F.F. #13 for onsite. I also had board member ARK look at the book. Front, back and inside. We all agreed it was in the 7.0 range. Book came back 5.0. :o

Your comment "there could still be something in the interior that we can't see", should this information not be disclosed by the graders' notes?

Joey's opinion may not be CGC's but I value his input and experience as much as CGC.

Sorry to hear about your FF #13. Another case where there should maybe be a second chance to review especially if the graders notes were as uninformative as the ones Josh received. Did you by chance get the graders notes for your book Tim?

No, I never received the notes, and I was not implying that I don't value Joey's opinion. If that was the case I would have never had him look over the book in the first place, or try to break into his hotel room. lol

I wonder if CGC notes every interior defect anyway. A page tear, dog ears, staple tears, writing. There's lots of things that could be noted but I wonder if they bother with most of them. (shrug)

And just to add CGC is pretty tough on spine splits and other defects. I've seen lots of books that present very well from the front and back, but when turned to look down the spine have severe flaking of the color, paper loss, etc.

It also could be they just blew the grade on this one like the Avengers book. (shrug)

No, I never received the notes, and I was not implying that I don't value Joey's opinion. If that was the case I would have never had him look over the book in the first place, or try to break into his hotel room. lol

No I didn't think for a minute that you were implying anything such as that. I just meant that I agreed with your statement about Joey's opinion not being CGC's but that his opinions are extremely valued by all participants on these boards. And you really tried to break into his hotel room?? :o

I wonder if CGC notes every interior defect anyway. A page tear, dog ears, staple tears, writing. There's lots of things that could be noted but I wonder if they bother with most of them. (shrug)

I think for the money spent on getting a book graded the very least CGC graders could do is write out what it is they find or see that justifies the grade that they award to these books. My job requires me to make list of inclusions and exclusions for everything I do so that the end user knows what they are getting for their money. Should apply here too I would think? (shrug)

It's actually surprising to me that it got the number of characters it did . . . ;)

(Aside): :gossip: I really hate whining threads.

Looking at the larger scans would also seem to indicate the top spline split is more on the order of 1.5" rather than the stated 3/4" - it extends below the price.

(Aside): :gossip: I really hate whining threads.

Interesting way of showing it. You've posted 1/6 of the posts in this thread; almost none of which, by the way, have added anything of value. Feel free to go somewhere else.

As long as you paid 2.0 money (or less!) you should be happy. That is a great book to own (Darth Vader prototype according to Lucas), and probably the nicest FF5 2.0 out there.

Indeed. I would only be upset about the 2.0 when it comes time to sell it. If you have a long-term outlook, FF5 is a very strong "buy" and "hold", definitely not "sell".

As long as you paid 2.0 money (or less!) you should be happy. That is a great book to own (Darth Vader prototype according to Lucas), and probably the nicest FF5 2.0 out there.

Indeed. I would only be upset about the 2.0 when it comes time to sell it. If you have a long-term outlook, FF5 is a very strong "buy" and "hold", definitely not "sell".

As I said, I would not be upset to sell it: I would deslab it immediately as long as it stays in my collection, and then just tell it’s a deslabbed 2.0 with these grader notes… :)

It’s a great book, and Red should not be sad about the technical grade, I’d buy it in an heartbeat if it was a good price… and I hope it has been for him. (thumbs u

I think you've got a sweet FF 5.....it's a premium 2.0 as most people like the presentation.

I do wonder how many times a fat finger has raised or reduced a grade in the CGC slabbing process :sumo:

+1. If I were looking for this issue (which I am!), I would pay more for the great presentation, so I wouldn't look at it as a "2.0". Just my opinion.