• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Wolverine art @ $140K with 22 days to go!!

519 posts in this topic

Anyway, everybody can see this is just a smokescreen to save face. This piece was not the most important of the past 40 years. It was not the exception. It did not surpass the ASM #328 cover. It did not get bought by a celebrity. It did not fetch a million bucks. You can try to twist the facts any way you want, but the fact is, you were as wrong as wrong can be.

well who is to say that someone bidding on behalf of a celebrity looking for "something cool" to stick in his game room didn't help push it past $500K and that one of the usual suspects was the final bidder?

We'll find out who the underbidder was in time, but I have very little doubt that it was another usual suspect. Anyone want to take the other side of that bet? (shrug)

Anyway, everybody can see this is just a smokescreen to save face. This piece was not the most important of the past 40 years. It was not the exception. It did not surpass the ASM #328 cover. It did not get bought by a celebrity. It did not fetch a million bucks. You can try to twist the facts any way you want, but the fact is, you were as wrong as wrong can be.

So, the answer is, "no, you cannot admit that you were wrong", then?

You were both WRONG... now shut the hell up before I have to pull this car over.

:sumo:

It's true, I was wrong. It did not cross $1 million. Regardless of all my justifications and rationalizations for why not, the fact is, it didn't. The rationalizations and justifications may be totally valid, partly valid, or wholly invalid...the fact is, I was wrong about the number I predicted.

:whee:

I was wrong. I thought that the piece could hit $717K and it only hit $657K. :sorry:

The great beauty of this debate (disagreement, speculation, whatever...) is that if the price does not approach/breach the 400k that the peanut gallery projects, the legitimizers have been legitimized, while if it does, then the buyers are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons from the peanut gallery. Either way, the legitimizer is was and shall always be right! :eyeroll:

$657k

Peanut Gallery ^^ Legitimizers(s) 0

errr... but the legitimizer(s) are proper, learned, and correct, and the peanut gallery are just ignorant insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

I have no idea what you are trying to argue above, but I don't know who was saying that $400K was some kind of cap on this page (I know it wasn't me). In fact, I never even said that $1 million was a cap on this page - I just said it was a 50-1 shot to get there at best, and more likely 100-1, and that I like to play the odds. (shrug)

Wasn't directed to you at all. In fact, I found your arguments to be pretty rational (as you know speculation can be far from rational). I just took a swipe at some other post that mockingly called all other opinions counter to yours belonging to the peanut gallery. :whistle:

I did call it fairly close and early in the thread though, hence the self-deserved back pat (sometimes you just got to toot your own horn). :whee:

I was wrong. I thought that the piece could hit $717K and it only hit $657K. :sorry:

You were both wrong.

And come on, Gene.....you can't rush onto the forum less than 20 minutes before the auction ends, get in a quick prediction, and then brag how you were only one bid increment off. That's just insulting to EVERYONE'S intelligence in here.

Before that, you had stated....what?

That it would sell for more than $100k and likely wouldn't hit a million???

I think I could write several predictions on a plastic sheet and wait until my dog takes a mess on one and he could be more accurate than that. meh

Well...it's a start. At least you can post the words.

:applause:

That's movement in the right direction, even if you did predict $717k 20 minutes before the auction ended which, as tth pointed out, isn't quite a feat of prognostication.

It's pretty much the same as betting on the horse 10 feet from the finish line.

"He's gonna win! See? I told you!"

:ohnoez:

The great beauty of this debate (disagreement, speculation, whatever...) is that if the price does not approach/breach the 400k that the peanut gallery projects, the legitimizers have been legitimized, while if it does, then the buyers are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons from the peanut gallery. Either way, the legitimizer is was and shall always be right! :eyeroll:

$657k

errr... but the legitimizer(s) are proper, learned, and correct, and the peanut gallery are just ignorant insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

I have no idea what you are trying to argue above, but I don't know who was saying that $400K was some kind of cap on this page (I know it wasn't me). In fact, I never even said that $1 million was a cap on this page - I just said it was a 50-1 shot to get there at best, and more likely 100-1, and that I like to play the odds. (shrug)

Wasn't directed to you at all. In fact, I found your arguments to be pretty rational (as you know speculation can be far from rational). I just took a swipe at some other post that mockingly called all other opinions counter to yours belonging to the peanut gallery. :whistle:

I did call it fairly close and early in the thread though, hence the self-deserved back pat (sometimes you just got to toot your own horn). :whee:

It's not the arguments that are made...it's the dismissiveness of those who consider themselves "in the know" vs. the people they haughtily dismiss as "ignorant know-nothings" (aka "the peanut gallery.")

If it wasn't for that, this thread wouldn't be 1/4th the length it is, and there would be no residual animosity.

Listen, I know whereof I speak...I've been haughty and dismissive enough on these boards for 20 people...it's not a good thing.

Dial it back a bit...quite a bit...is all that I am saying (and, I believe, Bronze Rules is saying, too.)

$657k

It's not the arguments that are made...it's the dismissiveness of those who consider themselves "in the know" vs. the people they haughtily dismiss as "ignorant know-nothings" (aka "the peanut gallery.")

If it wasn't for that, this thread wouldn't be 1/4th the length it is, and there would be no residual animosity.

Listen, I know whereof I speak...I've been haughty and dismissive enough on these boards for 20 people...it's not a good thing.

Dial it back a bit...quite a bit...is all that I am saying (and, I believe, Bronze Rules is saying, too.)

I thought it would cross a million, too. (shrug)

That's movement in the right direction, even if you did predict $717k 20 minutes before the auction ended which, as tth pointed out, isn't quite a feat of prognostication.

You keep fixating on 20 minutes before the auction ended when you should be focused on the fact that it was 20 minutes before the live bidding on the lot started. (shrug)

And, in any case, there's much more to this story than meets the eye. ;)

You keep fixating on 20 minutes before the auction ended when you should be focused on the fact that it was 20 minutes before the live bidding on the lot started. (shrug)

And, in any case, there's much more to this story than meets the eye. ;)

You are a stubborn, stubborn man.

Somebody in this thread was wrong?

I'm shocked.

I predicted $657K. :acclaim:

You know your stuff.

Admittedly I made the prediction when the auctioneer asked if there were any further bids for the final time.

You were both wrong.

And come on, Gene.....you can't rush onto the forum less than 20 minutes before the auction ends, get in a quick prediction, and then brag how you were only one bid increment off. That's just insulting to EVERYONE'S intelligence in here.

Before that, you had stated....what?

That it would sell for more than $100k and likely wouldn't hit a million???

I miss the line about your dog pooping on a large sheet with your predictions written on them being just as accurate.

It gave your post a little panache....now, it's just dull.

:sumo: