• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Comments Regarding the JIM 83

390 posts in this topic

Did you hear about the cow that didn't produce milk? It was an udder failure.

WHY would I want people to think it's mine? That would be uttering.

Sorry, I mistook you for another guy. He posts Wiki articles and passes them off as personal knowledge.

So the lack of distributor's spray on the edge of the cover is normal wear?

looks like it- you can see the cover sticks out a little more than the newsprint, so that would be *some* trim job to accomplish that.

The book recently showed up again at our office. The person who bought the book from Spider-Dan traded it to another party, who then submitted it to CCS. We contacted the new owner, who told us that he was not aware of the book’s history. Every time the JIM was submitted to CGC, it was sent in raw with no tag.

I would love to know who Spider Dan sold the book to so I could completely avoid buying from them since they traded the book to someone without telling them the history of it.

That was my thought. I believe it was said they wanted to keep the book, but I know that sometimes there's a reason for not being able to do that.

I heard it was Red Rocks :gossip:

What I heard was red rocks really wanted the book but the seller couldnt walk him to his car so the deal fell through :gossip:

WHY would I want people to think it's mine? That would be uttering.

Sorry, I mistook you for another guy. He posts Wiki articles and passes them off as personal knowledge.

What a ridiculous tactic-anyone can google the text and see where it came from....DER

The only true outstanding issue is will these that keep doing this with this JIM 83 not press their luck anymore.

At some point, you can modify the procedure, but if there is any hint of "unscrupulous" activity (as set out in the OP,) then you have to think CGC just washes their hands of it and turns it over to law enforcement for fraud.

And what law governs the undisclosed re-trimming of a factory-trimmed comic book? (shrug)

Would it be the same law that governs undisclosed re-pressing of factory-pressed paper, undisclosed re-assembly, or undisclosed re-folding of factory-folded spines? Those laws?

I was thinking more along the line of real laws, but hey, there's always room for...whatever your point is.

Obtaining goods and services by fraud. Uttering. Both garden variety felonies. How about that be the starting line for this race to justice?

My point was we all know what happened with the Ewert fiasco. Nothing. And since then an new industry has sprang up around undisclosed alterations. So if there are any laws, it would be a big 'ol messy can of words trying to apply them.

This hobby would probably give jurors brain aneurysms from attempting to sort through the bizarreness. If the judge's head didn't explode first.

I never understand the mentality-someone says something wondering if it's correct someone else goes ha ha ha what a dufus! You don't know what you're talking about! Stay away from google lol!

Instead of just calmly pointing out the correct answer.

"You're wrong"

"Ok what's the right answer"

"You're just wrong, is all. And stupid to boot"

Whatever

The only true outstanding issue is will these that keep doing this with this JIM 83 not press their luck anymore.

At some point, you can modify the procedure, but if there is any hint of "unscrupulous" activity (as set out in the OP,) then you have to think CGC just washes their hands of it and turns it over to law enforcement for fraud.

And what law governs the undisclosed re-trimming of a factory-trimmed comic book? (shrug)

Would it be the same law that governs undisclosed re-pressing of factory-pressed paper, undisclosed re-assembly, or undisclosed re-folding of factory-folded spines? Those laws?

I was thinking more along the line of real laws, but hey, there's always room for...whatever your point is.

Obtaining goods and services by fraud. Uttering. Both garden variety felonies. How about that be the starting line for this race to justice?

My point was we all know what happened with the Ewert fiasco. Nothing. And since then an new industry has sprang up around undisclosed alterations. So if there are any laws, it would be a big 'ol messy can of words trying to apply them.

This hobby would probably give jurors brain aneurysms from attempting to sort through the bizarreness. If the judge's head didn't explode first.

I agree lol

I worked in the DNA lab in Berkeley-that is much easier to explain to jurors.

I agree lol

I cannot explain "this thing of ours" (comic collecting) to people who are remotely interested. Sorting through that mess and explaining it to a jury would take a very special person indeed.

This is a great explanation and was all I was asking for the whole time. It makes sense. And now, CGC has learned something and their detection will be better in future. Bad move on short sighted seller now his name is mud and turns out he didn't even have to withhold info-the book is untrimmed.

Well, it's untrimmed in the opinion of the people who looked at it today, who apparently weren't there in February when everyone in the building agreed it was trimmed, who apparently weren't there back when it was originally graded as untrimmed...

This is a great explanation and was all I was asking for the whole time. It makes sense. And now, CGC has learned something and their detection will be better in future. Bad move on short sighted seller now his name is mud and turns out he didn't even have to withhold info-the book is untrimmed.

Well, it's untrimmed in the opinion of the people who looked at it today, who apparently weren't there in February when everyone in the building agreed it was trimmed, who apparently weren't there back when it was originally graded as untrimmed...

It was a learning experience as they weren't aware that marking can be on the pages but not the cover of untrimmed books. An excusable error I think.

I cannot explain "this thing of ours" (comic collecting) to people who are remotely interested. Sorting through that mess and explaining it to a jury would take a very special person indeed.
Can you imagine if a defense attorney disassembled a vintage comic book right in front of jurors, scattering its cover and folios all around the court room. Explaining how it doesn't count, how nothing is happening, how it's not upsetting to THEM to DESTROY a factory assembly forever and all time...

Then approaching the jury with a magnifying glass asking... You know what IS upsetting to THEM. What they want YOU to consider FRAUD? This.

And he has each juror examine under magnification a 1/16th inch sliver of paper stuck to his fingertip...

Can you imagine if a defense attorney disassembled a vintage comic book right in front of jurors, scattering its cover and folios all around the court room. Explaining how it doesn't count, how nothing is happening, how it's not upsetting to THEM to DESTROY a factory assembly forever and all time...

Then approaching the jury with a magnifying glass asking... You know what IS upsetting to THEM. What they want YOU to consider FRAUD? This.

And he has each juror examine under magnification a 1/16th inch sliver of paper stuck to his fingertip...

Holy the judge would hate life being stuck with this case!