• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Comments Regarding the JIM 83

390 posts in this topic

My guess is natural wear over time since the covers stick out a little highe than the pages.

Even more so than the top edge of the front cover, it is very hard to reconcile that the ink did not bleed down the front cover like it did the back. Even a micro trim of the front cover only would not have removed it all.

I think I have to conclude that the top of the front cover, was, against all odds, missed by the ink completely.

There is nothing about the top edge of that book that even whispers "trimmed" to me. I think all the subtle manipulation that goes on has CGC chasing shadows. Shouldn't the standard be near-certainty about restoration before giving a book a restored grade? If there is reasonable doubt that the book is clean maybe it should result in the book returned to the owner ungraded, with a note that the resto check was "inconclusive".

But the odds of an overhanging front cover not getting any spray whereas the inner pages and overhanging back cover does. Moreover, there is none of the equivalent wear on the back cover - confused (shrug)

Possibly another book in the stack was just overlapping in such a manner that the front cover didnt get hit. A one in a million type situation. I was in a car wreck and a tiny pin ended up inside my sock. How it flew up under my pants then down into sock I do not know. Strange things happen at high speeds.

Given the context, I found this observation hysterically funny. Not being critical, but it's just about the most out-of-left-field post I can remember. :D

i always go off into the wild blue yonder

:popcorn:

Brutha, you said it. That goes double for me.

:popcorn::popcorn:

So I will say more...

What now happens to the JIM 83?

Does the new owner keep it?

Will it be auctioned off for charity?

Can I have it for free since I am a nice guy?

Standard procedure is all such books are gifted to Buzzetta. I see no reason why this time is any different.

Enjoy the book buddy!

:whee:

As a new guy looking in, I see mixed reactions...

I'm guessing that those people who have tons of money "invested" in cgc books are more likely to accept this explanation and wish this problem would go away.

Kudos to cgc for taking ownership but I wonder if there are any undetected resto out there waiting to be discovered? This will not be the last controversy.

I guess we just need to keep this in mind on our next graded book purchase - buyer beware

Of course there is undetected resto out there waiting to be discovered. There are also doubtlessly books with restored labels that could come back as blue labels if resubbed. The most surprising thing to me is that so many people are surprised that CGC make mistakes.

Even though there are many lingering questions, I applaud CGC for taking the time to address the issue to board members.

+1

The threads created about this book have been entertaining AND educational.

..recently graded for Spider-Dan...the book received a universal grade in September 2007...then receiving a restored grade...got a universal grade...bought the book from Spider-Dan...traded it to another party...then submitted it to CCS...re-evaluated...book is not trimmed...will be re-graded.

hot_potato.jpg

The most surprising thing to me is that so many people are surprised that CGC make mistakes.

Me too. Consider the volume of books they grade. Nobody is going to be 100% perfect at detecting resto. Companies all make mistakes; good ones deal with those mistakes in the best way that they can.

..recently graded for Spider-Dan...the book received a universal grade in September 2007...then receiving a restored grade...got a universal grade...bought the book from Spider-Dan...traded it to another party...then submitted it to CCS...re-evaluated...book is not trimmed...will be re-graded.

hot_potato.jpg

:insane:

Now if we could get a comment from them about the rudeness of their phone reps.....

Apparently not everyone is impressed with this CGC news. :whistle:LINK

You provided a link to somebody's personal Facebook page.

That's Ryan Elliott. He's part of PGX and would do anything to pain CGC in a bad light.

He's lied about his name (to me personally) and from what I have read he has allegedly swapped books in holders, swapped covers with interiors, over graded books by a country mile and then put them into PGX holders and missed tons of resto himself and so I don't put much weight on his finger wag at CGC. Anything to try and gain an inch, I suppose.

Now if we could get a comment from them about the rudeness of their phone reps.....

You've been here before. hm

Apparently not everyone is impressed with this CGC news. :whistle:

LINK

Thanks for the link, I just learned that this scammer and I have one mutual friend, the owner of my LCS pukeface.gif

Which store, Mike?

I call more than I should for status and everyone has always been helpful and nice.

Time to look in the mirror?