• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Comments Regarding the JIM 83

390 posts in this topic

So what is the actual grade of the book now? Still 7.0 or did they drop it back to 6.0? Maybe they just went with 6.5 this time. hm

I asked when I talked to them this afternoon, and it hadn't been graded yet

How would that work? Send it back though blind? And if anybody thinks it's trimmed, fire them on the spot?

Just kidding. lol:insane:

The other attorney would merely counter with regardless of how minor it might seem to us the fact remains that in this world of comic collecting a book that has been trimmed sells for 60% less than an untrimmed book.

The other attorney would merely counter with regardless of how minor it might seem to us the fact remains that in this world of comic collecting a book that has been trimmed sells for 60% less than an untrimmed book.
+1 for Matt Murdock's argument on the case lol

I liken it more to the Miley Cyrus of books-passed around and gets a different grade from each person

Why doesn't CGC keep a database of scans of all books they slab, available to the public? We could see how many books out there take up 4-6 slots on the registry. At the very least they could do it for all high end books, I don't see how a company that makes money on giving collectors "peace of mind" wouldn't be transparent with all information they have.

People have stolen images for rare books before and used them. It is common practice for the scammers on ebay.

Not an expert, but couldn't they put a see through CGC logo over the image to prevent scammers from using. Something like CGC FILE IMAGE over the scan. Then people would know the seller isn't using their own image.

The only true outstanding issue is will these that keep doing this with this JIM 83 not press their luck anymore.

At some point, you can modify the procedure, but if there is any hint of "unscrupulous" activity (as set out in the OP,) then you have to think CGC just washes their hands of it and turns it over to law enforcement for fraud.

And what law governs the undisclosed re-trimming of a factory-trimmed comic book? (shrug)

Would it be the same law that governs undisclosed re-pressing of factory-pressed paper, undisclosed re-assembly, or undisclosed re-folding of factory-folded spines? Those laws?

I was thinking more along the line of real laws, but hey, there's always room for...whatever your point is.

Obtaining goods and services by fraud. Uttering. Both garden variety felonies. How about that be the starting line for this race to justice?

My point was we all know what happened with the Ewert fiasco. Nothing. And since then an new industry has sprang up around undisclosed alterations. So if there are any laws, it would be a big 'ol messy can of words trying to apply them.

This hobby would probably give jurors brain aneurysms from attempting to sort through the bizarreness. If the judge's head didn't explode first.

I agree lol

I cannot explain "this thing of ours" (comic collecting) to people who are remotely interested. Sorting through that mess and explaining it to a jury would take a very special person indeed.

hm

I would give it a shot.

;)

Why doesn't CGC keep a database of scans of all books they slab, available to the public? We could see how many books out there take up 4-6 slots on the registry. At the very least they could do it for all high end books, I don't see how a company that makes money on giving collectors "peace of mind" wouldn't be transparent with all information they have.

People have stolen images for rare books before and used them. It is common practice for the scammers on ebay.

Not an expert, but couldn't they put a see through CGC logo over the image to prevent scammers from using. Something like CGC FILE IMAGE over the scan. Then people would know the seller isn't using their own image.

Yep, it's a watermark.

Well at least this:

Spider-Dan subsequently sold the book to another person, who resubmitted the book end of March and got a universal grade.

The person who bought the book from Spider-Dan traded it to another party, who then submitted it to CCS.

Thank you,

The CGC Grading Team

Puts this accusation:

It's the same rug. :gossip:

To rest :whee:

Well at least this:

Spider-Dan subsequently sold the book to another person, who resubmitted the book end of March and got a universal grade.

The person who bought the book from Spider-Dan traded it to another party, who then submitted it to CCS.

Thank you,

The CGC Grading Team

Puts this accusation:

It's the same rug. :gossip:

To rest :whee:

My general thoughts

CGCs assessment of trimming is a shoot if it is done half way decent. General take away, look very carefully at the book in CGC holder before buying. If it even remotely looks "odd" pass on it. Your definition of "odd" may vary from mine.

CGC is very good at PR.

I can only imagine how many times these poor books have gone throughout the refurbish factory :facepalm:

:popcorn:

Brutha, you said it. That goes double for me.

:popcorn::popcorn:

So I will say more...

What now happens to the JIM 83?

Does the new owner keep it?

Will it be auctioned off for charity?

Can I have it for free since I am a nice guy?

Standard procedure is all such books are gifted to Buzzetta. I see no reason why this time is any different.

Enjoy the book buddy!

My guess is natural wear over time since the covers stick out a little highe than the pages.

Even more so than the top edge of the front cover, it is very hard to reconcile that the ink did not bleed down the front cover like it did the back. Even a micro trim of the front cover only would not have removed it all.

I think I have to conclude that the top of the front cover, was, against all odds, missed by the ink completely.

There is nothing about the top edge of that book that even whispers "trimmed" to me. I think all the subtle manipulation that goes on has CGC chasing shadows. Shouldn't the standard be near-certainty about restoration before giving a book a restored grade? If there is reasonable doubt that the book is clean maybe it should result in the book returned to the owner ungraded, with a note that the resto check was "inconclusive".

But the odds of an overhanging front cover not getting any spray whereas the inner pages and overhanging back cover does. Moreover, there is none of the equivalent wear on the back cover - confused (shrug)

Possibly another book in the stack was just overlapping in such a manner that the front cover didnt get hit. A one in a million type situation. I was in a car wreck and a tiny pin ended up inside my sock. How it flew up under my pants then down into sock I do not know. Strange things happen at high speeds.

Given the context, I found this observation hysterically funny. Not being critical, but it's just about the most out-of-left-field post I can remember. :D