• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Did Pressing Become A Thing?
1 1

125 posts in this topic

I want to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread. It's like an advance course on comics -- I've learned a lot!

The knowledge and experience on these boards truly runs deep. To me collecting isn't just about speculating or money (although I do get just as caught up in it as the next guy) but appreciating the history of the hobby as well. Too cool.

No, no, no, you're doing it all WRONG!

Comics General isn't for learning anything. Everyone knows Comics General is the place to go to confirm your own opinions and denigrate anyone who disagrees with you.

Noobs.

:cool:

(thumbs u

I want to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread. It's like an advance course on comics -- I've learned a lot!

The knowledge and experience on these boards truly runs deep. To me collecting isn't just about speculating or money (although I do get just as caught up in it as the next guy) but appreciating the history of the hobby as well. Too cool.

No, no, no, you're doing it all WRONG!

Comics General isn't for learning anything. Everyone knows Comics General is the place to go to confirm your own opinions and denigrate anyone who disagrees with you.

Noobs.

:cool:

(thumbs u

:o

:(

;)

To Dav and Nick and others who want to challenge my opinion on when pressing became a thing, please remember that I was there with you screaming to the top of my lungs. But what I realize now is that a side effect of proactively disclosing pressing is that people, who may have been unaware of what pressing was, will want to know what pressing is. Once you know what pressing is, it's hard to not consider pressing books rather than sell them and let someone else collect the benefit.

I still think proactively disclosing pressing was a good idea. But it definitely increased discussion about pressing and the number of people who do it.

I run a pressing business due to what I discovered here.

I'm farting on any books I send for you to press.

I had a book that had to have once been owned by a dirty hippie, as it smelled like popcorn, shrimp, and ...anyway, I took a box of baking soda and sprinkled some over every page, then put it in a bag&board for a week. When time was up, I took it out of the bag, held it up by pinching the very edges of each cover, and shook it hard to dislodge all the baking soda.

It smelled fresh as a daisy...

:ohnoez:

-slym

To Dav and Nick and others who want to challenge my opinion on when pressing became a thing, please remember that I was there with you screaming to the top of my lungs. But what I realize now is that a side effect of proactively disclosing pressing is that people, who may have been unaware of what pressing was, will want to know what pressing is. Once you know what pressing is, it's hard to not consider pressing books rather than sell them and let someone else collect the benefit.

I still think proactively disclosing pressing was a good idea. But it definitely increased discussion about pressing and the number of people who do it.

Do you disclose to your ebay audience that a book has been pressed?

To each his own I suppose. I don't press any of my comics, and I ask if a book has been pressed before buying. I guess I rely on the honor system in that way. Which is rife with it's own problems. I can understand why folks will get a comic pressed however, when the name of the game in so many ways is: $$$$$.

It's not for me though. I'll stick with the traditional way I've collected, and the hunt of finding mid to higher grade unpressed comics. Which if they end up in my collection, will never see a press....

I guess I was arguing the end of the Rollout phase. In my mind a backward view looks like...

...CGC/PCS is a combo deal the moment the doors open. A concept imported over from coins. It's just not revealed. (some insiders are privy and play immediately - Hammer points, rants and is ridiculed)

...A roughly decade-long Rollout follows to remould hearts & minds (or books and paydays, however you want to say it). Drops, not a downpour.

...Rough waters midstream. Ewert, NOD, all that. Advanced-stage rollout, yes, but still in the rollout phase. Overstreet marketing partnership pays off, broader acceptance assured. Not there yet.

Then it's just a matter of pinpointing when what was desired Opening Day was fully accomplished. The Rollout phase ending, everything in the open, public invited. 2012.

Pressing has opened pandoras box. Paper mechanics have moved on. The easy press and flip is gone, the home runs have been pressed, and every one does it. Now its about shifting a spine to increase eye appeal, removing/lightening stains, and I cant even imagine what else some of these people do. I'm amazed at some of the "transformations" these books go through. I don't begrudge them though, it's CGCs failed system. There's a reason I own less than 10 graded books now. I don't want to be the one holding the hot potato. I'll keep grabbing my VG/FN- VF raw under copies.

I guess I was arguing the end of the Rollout phase. In my mind a backward view looks like...

...CGC/PCS is a combo deal the moment the doors open. A concept imported over from coins. It's just not revealed. (some insiders are privy and play immediately - Hammer points, rants and is ridiculed)

...A roughly decade-long Rollout follows to remould hearts & minds (or books and paydays, however you want to say it). Drops, not a downpour.

...Rough waters midstream. Ewert, NOD, all that. Advanced-stage rollout, yes, but still in the rollout phase. Overstreet marketing partnership pays off, broader acceptance assured. Not there yet.

Then it's just a matter of pinpointing when what was desired Opening Day was fully accomplished. The Rollout phase ending, everything in the open, public invited. 2012.

So I guess folks like Matt, Tracy, etc. openly offering pressing service had anything to do with the proliferation of pressing. (shrug)

I'm farting on any books I send for you to press.

I would making a sniffing joke right now, but good taste and decorum prevent me from doing so.

So I guess folks like Matt, Tracy, etc. openly offering pressing service had anything to do with the proliferation of pressing. (shrug)

Nobody said that Matt, Trace offering pressing didn't proliferate pressing back in 2006 (and they were offering pressing well before 2006) but they could only reach people who were aware of them. NOD actively reaching out to the entire hobby through dealers and collectors made more people aware of pressing than Matt and Trace combined, IMO.

It's just that I - like scores of others here - know precisely why you stage such a rugged defence of CGC's shortcomings and make every effort to deflect elsewhere.

What did I deflect and defend?

You have as much a vested interest in this as me (just as Bedrock stated last week). You are just inflexible and refuse to ever admit when you're wrong.

I've already explained that I answered the OP and also explained my answer. If that's a deflection and we're having another pressing thread, I'm out.

I've had enough of those to last me a lifetime.

I didn't realise Richard had made any such comments...I don't usually have the time for CG.

I've now tracked them down and answered appropriately.

In truth, I am potentially damaging my 'vested interests' with my continuing criticisms...but that won't stop me calling BS.

Giving is the head-up on what, precisely?

That you're clueless?

Don't worry, this thread is probably sufficient. \(thumbs u

Do you disclose to your ebay audience that a book has been pressed?

I tried, but all I got were endless "what does it mean, the book is "pressed""?

When I explained it to them, it was like trying to explain Mars to 6th century Frenchmen.

But I have no problem disclosing it to anyone who wants to know. Since I've advertised here that I do it, and have stated that all my slabbed books were pressed by me, it's not really a problem.

It's just that I - like scores of others here - know precisely why you stage such a rugged defence of CGC's shortcomings and make every effort to deflect elsewhere.

What did I deflect and defend?

You have as much a vested interest in this as me (just as Bedrock stated last week). You are just inflexible and refuse to ever admit when you're wrong.

I've already explained that I answered the OP and also explained my answer. If that's a deflection and we're having another pressing thread, I'm out.

I've had enough of those to last me a lifetime.

I didn't realise Richard had made any such comments...I don't usually have the time for CG.

I've now tracked them down and answered appropriately.

In truth, I am potentially damaging my 'vested interests' with my continuing criticisms...but that won't stop me calling BS.

Giving is the head-up on what, precisely?

That you're clueless?

Don't worry, this thread is probably sufficient. \(thumbs u

Why the need to be insulting? Does it prove anything?

I love/hate pressing threads....

The reason it always gets 'personal' is because one side is defending their principles....while the other side is defending their decision to trade their principles for cash. 2c

cvkRDlN.gif

As a stand-alone service? Sure. But that was all encapsulation era stuff, part of the overall brouhaha.

I remember this 2005 thread caused quite a stir: Restoration Expert Susan Cicconi Denounces Pressing

But yeah, all that was part of the long road to where we're at now.

I love/hate pressing threads....

The reason it always gets 'personal' is because one side is defending their principles....while the other side is defending their decision to trade their principles for cash. 2c

cvkRDlN.gif

No, it gets personal because people are overly emotional about what other people do and won't just let it go.

Stating that people sold out principles for cash is a BS statement unless you catch some being a hypocrite after stating they wouldn't press and it's entirely uncalled for and emotionally immature.

Like I said last night, it's no different than a discussion on religion. Hot heads just start butting with no rational though prvailing.