• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Did Pressing Become A Thing?
1 1

125 posts in this topic

I've been collecting comics for near 25 years and I was not aware about pressing until reading on the boards. I also think Borock, via the Boards after he left CGC, made it legitimate. Everyone looked up to Steve and when he said it was perfectly acceptable and he was pressing his Board offerings, we all said it must be okay. PLease note, this is not a derogatory comment against Steve, just the way it went down.

So when Steve actually worked at CGC and offered it as a service through PCS, that wasn't legitimising it? meh

What increased the knowledge about pressing more than anything else was the anti-pressing movement trying to make people aware of what was going on.

What increased the frequency of pressing exponentially was the perfect storm of pressing-related grade bumps that increased sale prices markedly being made public, coupled with CGCs refusal to downgrade for defects introduced by pressing.

That you would relate it instead to discussions within the hobby surrounding sellers disclosing pressing is bizarre.

You appear to have spelled 'driven entirely by self-interest' wrong there, Bob?

What increased the knowledge about pressing more than anything else was the anti-pressing movement trying to make people aware of what was going on.

What increased the frequency of pressing exponentially was the perfect storm of pressing-related grade bumps that increased sale prices markedly being made public, coupled with CGCs refusal to downgrade for defects introduced by pressing.

That you would relate it instead to discussions within the hobby surrounding sellers disclosing pressing is bizarre.

Trying to depersonalize it. ;)

In my view, what increased the frequency of pressing exponentially was the perfect storm of pressing-related grade bumps that increased sale prices markedly being made public, coupled with CGCs refusal to downgrade for defects introduced by pressing.

That you would relate it instead to the discussions within the hobby that surrounded the disclosure of pressing by sellers is bizarre.

How can people increase the incidence of pressing if they don't know about it?

That's like asking how people like peanut butter when they don't know it exists. :facepalm:

What increased the awareness of pressing - ie. people finding out about it - was NOD and the great anti-pressing movement circa 2006 (I think that is when NOD started). Before that it was known about on the boards loosely, some people were catching on but the entire hobby - meaning worldwide, didn't really get it until about 2006-2007.

Once awareness got out then the act of pressing followed.

In 2004 nobody really talked about it much at cons. By 2007 I remember people at cons started to ask "hey, didja ever hear about that derned pressing thang". By 2008/2009 those same people were pressing their books. It was 2007-2009 when it busted wide open.

You can be so nasty when you get a burr in your bonnet and a few beers in your gut.

The fact that you are making it something personal just shows how badly you are grasping at straws.

In the same way that murder only became popular once we started taking people to court. :/

Hey, what is the current hip defence anyway, cause I forget?

Is it that 'everybody used to be pressing anyway in the old Wild West days.'

Or is it the 'nobody knew anything about it until NOD complained?'

I simply can't keep up with the obfuscation...

[

In my view, what increased the frequency of pressing exponentially was the perfect storm of pressing-related grade bumps that increased sale prices markedly being made public, coupled with CGC's refusal to downgrade for defects introduced by pressing.

That you would relate it instead to the discussions within the hobby that surrounded the disclosure of pressing by sellers is bizarre.

There's note doubt CGC facilitated the process. I still get annoyed when I see an obviously pancaked book with staple tears in an ultra high grade slab.

You can be so nasty when you get a burr in your bonnet and a few beers in your gut.

The fact that you are making it something personal just shows how badly you are grasping at straws.

No straw-grasping here, Roy.

It's just that I - like scores of others here - know precisely why you stage such a rugged defence of CGC's shortcomings and make every effort to deflect elsewhere.

In the same way that murder only became popular once we started taking people to court. :/

The OP asked when did pressing become a "thing".

I answered circa 2006 onward.

Then I explained why I thought it became a "thing".

By "thing" I assume he meant rampant, as in everybody and their mother doing it.

If you want to talk about murder, it became popular once someone realized that it was a short cut to something else. They had to have the realization that it was a short cut before they could do it.

When. Why.

And it started with Cain in Genesis. The OT version of NOD. :jokealert:

It's just that I - like scores of others here - know precisely why you stage such a rugged defence of CGC's shortcomings and make every effort to deflect elsewhere.

What did I deflect and defend?

:o

You have as much a vested interest in this as me (just as Bedrock stated last week). You are just inflexible and refuse to ever admit when you're wrong.

I've already explained that I answered the OP and also explained my answer. If that's a deflection and we're having another pressing thread, I'm out.

I've had enough of those to last me a lifetime.

You are just inflexible and refuse to ever admit when you're wrong.

And let me touch on this. I like you a lot and I think you're a terrific dealer and probably a terrific person and husband but it does take some effort on my part not to take your constant attacks personally. What is happening here is a personality conflict whether you like to agree with me on it or not.

I've said this to you before: Like every Ares that I know (and I am surrounded by them 2 kids, one of Lou's kids and an ex) you are black and white and cut and dry about the way you see everything and your world is painted that way permanently so my perspective is anathema to you.

I actually know what you're going to say before you say it because I've heard my ex talk to me that way for 13 years.

It was crazy. I'd say blue and she'd hear red.

We are both on the same side and yet arguing about stupid stuff.

So I'm not going to drag this out any longer but I'd appreciate if you kept the personal attacks to yourself like a grown up should.

I remember my mother pressing one of my wrinkled comics with your standard clothing iron as far back as the late eighties, I guess she was ahead of the times.

She must have been a part of some secret society then because nobody knew about it. lol

Of course many of us did.

I ironed my comics when I was 8 or 10 years old too. I just never thought about pressing them the way they are pressed now until a NOD member told me how it was done in 2004.

You have as much a vested interest in this as me (just as Bedrock stated last week). You are just inflexible and refuse to ever admit when you're wrong.

I've already explained that I answered the OP and also explained my answer. If that's a deflection and we're having another pressing thread, I'm out.

I didn't realise Richard had made any such comments...I don't usually have the time for CG.

I've now tracked them down and answered appropriately.

In truth, I am potentially damaging my 'vested interests' with my continuing criticisms...but that won't stop me calling BS.

There's only one real good reason for pressing and it has to do with the advent of CGC. Sure pressing was around before 1999 but it was seldom done for grade bumps, it was mostly to correct grievous spine rolls and such. But if you can get a 9.8 from a 9.2 investment after a press and cashing in then the timing is very clear.

I wish it were possible for people to have a disagreement without making it personal.

:popcorn:

I second this! Unfortunately people prefer to take things personally as silly as it sounds because they can understand and accept it more easily than the truth.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I searched and couldn't find anything...

Today if a book has been slabbed recently, most people assume it's probably already been pressed. I was wondering if there was a consensus on when you might not assume a book has been pressed from the date it was slabbed. 2008? 2004? 2001?

I guess my question is when did pressing go mainstream?

If I found a book that was slabbed in 2007, and the seller didn't know its history, safe to assume it hadn't already been pressed?

Is it mainstream or just between hardcore collectors?

:roflmao:

I wish it were possible for people to have a disagreement without making it personal.

:popcorn:

I second this! Unfortunately people prefer to take things personally as silly as it sounds because they can understand and accept it more easily than the truth.

you two are a couple of dr. Feelgoods.

suck it.