• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Did Pressing Become A Thing?
1 1

125 posts in this topic

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I searched and couldn't find anything...

Today if a book has been slabbed recently, most people assume it's probably already been pressed. I was wondering if there was a consensus on when you might not assume a book has been pressed from the date it was slabbed. 2008? 2004? 2001?

I guess my question is when did pressing go mainstream?

If I found a book that was slabbed in 2007, and the seller didn't know its history, safe to assume it hadn't already been pressed?

Pressing was an isolated incident with specific books prior to CGC, but it really took off with the slabbed speculation where a even .2 jump could mean thousands of dollars, and probably went mainstream in the early-2000's.

If I was to guess where things really went off the rails, it would be in the 2003-2004 era, where guys like Ewert were gaming the system and it really became an epidemic.

Pressing is by no means new. Pretty sure this was going on, just not as rampantly, back in the 1970s, if not earlier.

-slym

And you'd be pretty wrong.

Back in the day, pressing was used almost exclusively in tandem with cleaning, or perhaps to realign a spine roll.

The sole action of pressing for appearance was a real rarity.

CGC gave pressing its lift-off and happily sanctioned it (even though it was considered throughout the industry as restoration) with Blue label validation.

And why wouldn't they? It was an additional income stream for them as the $$$s started stacking up for those 'in the know' and the CPR cycle got really going.

Pressing was an isolated incident with specific books prior to CGC, but it really took off with the slabbed speculation where a even .2 jump could mean thousands of dollars, and probably went mainstream in the early-2000's.

If I was to guess where things really went off the rails, it would be in the 2003-2004 era, where guys like Ewert were gaming the system and it really became an epidemic.

How does pressing have anything to do with undisclosed micro-trimming?

And the answer to the OP's question, in my hindsight, is when NOD started having lengthy efforts to talk about pressing and disclosure of pressing. I was in there along with them, but it was, IMHO, the main thing that led to the explosion of pressers. At least pressers on these boards.

Neither can be consistently detected.

You do the math. :/

I suspect some folks were pressing and re-subbing long before the folks here were aware of it, so any book in a slab is suspect. With that said, pressing really took off after they switched labels so a book in an old style holder may be less likely to have been pressed.

Neither can farting on a book and letting it air out. Neither farting nor pressing is equivalent to undisclosed destruction of a book meant to defraud a buyer.

Pressing is by no means new. Pretty sure this was going on, just not as rampantly, back in the 1970s, if not earlier.

-slym

And you'd be pretty wrong.

Back in the day, pressing was used almost exclusively in tandem with cleaning, or perhaps to realign a spine roll.

The sole action of pressing for appearance was a real rarity.

CGC gave pressing its lift-off and happily sanctioned it (even though it was considered throughout the industry as restoration) with Blue label validation.

And why wouldn't they? It was an additional income stream for them as the $$$s started stacking up for those 'in the know' and the CPR cycle got really going.

I didn't say "for appearance only." Although, "to perhaps realign a spine roll" seems to fit that bill in some cases.

:(

-slym

Neither can farting on a book and letting it air out. Neither farting nor pressing is equivalent to undisclosed destruction of a book meant to defraud a buyer.

Note to self... do not attempt to enjoy smell of old paper on any of Transplant's books...

And the answer to the OP's question, in my hindsight, is when NOD started having lengthy efforts to talk about pressing and disclosure of pressing. I was in there along with them, but it was, IMHO, the main thing that led to the explosion of pressers. At least pressers on these boards.

NOD threads :cloud9: Those were the days

Speak for yourself, farty.

Didn't comics involve pressed and trimmed paper at time of manufacture?

Re-pressing and re-trimming alters what was vintage into modern looks-as-if illusions of enhanced preservation. Ditto recreating and repositioning original spine folds.

NOD threads :cloud9: Those were the days

Wow, just read up on NOD -- had no idea such an organization existed. Fascinating!

Yup, and I stated the same when the entire NOD thing initially started.

As much as their movement was a dislike and anti-pressing, all it did was increase awareness and therefore increase incidence of pressing. Like wildfire.