• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Did Pressing Become A Thing?
1 1

125 posts in this topic

I love/hate pressing threads....

The reason it always gets 'personal' is because one side is defending their principles....while the other side is defending their decision to trade their principles for cash. 2c

cvkRDlN.gif

No, it gets personal because people are overly emotional about what other people do and won't just let it go.

Bingo.

The reason it always gets 'personal' is because one side is defending their principles....while the other side is defending their decision to trade their principles for cash. 2c

cvkRDlN.gif

No, it gets personal because people are overly emotional about what other people do and won't just let it go.

Stating that people sold out principles for cash is a BS statement unless you catch some being a hypocrite after stating they wouldn't press and it's entirely uncalled for and emotionally immature.

Like I said last night, it's no different than a discussion on religion. Hot heads just start butting with no rational though prvailing.

Aside from printing cash.....there is NO defense for the practice of pressing. NONE. ZERO. NADA.

All I ask is that you guys stop the friggin circle jerk already. :foryou:

cvkRDlN.gif

Stating that people sold out principles for cash is a BS statement unless you catch some being a hypocrite after stating they wouldn't press and it's entirely uncalled for and emotionally immature.

Like I said last night, it's no different than a discussion on religion. Hot heads just start butting with no rational though prvailing.

Aside from printing cash.....there is NO defense for the practice of pressing. NONE. ZERO. NADA.

You sure do make a lot of absolute statements.

cvkRDlN.gif

I'm sure it drives you batty......

There doesn't need to be a defence for pressing any more than there needs to be a defense for me owning a book.

I bought it and I'll do with it a I please. I can wipe my butt with it if a want without having to explain why.

Why that is considered a 'sell out' makes no sense except you are looking for some intellectual foothold to continue arguing.

:baiting:

There doesn't need to be a defence for pressing any more than there needs to be a defense for me owning a book.

I bought it and I'll do with it a I please. I can wipe my butt with it if a want without having to explain why.

Why that is considered a 'sell out' makes no sense except you are looking for some intellectual foothold to continue arguing.

:baiting:

If you're gonna bait me......at least make a solid effort to do so. zzz

Bait you? I was trying to show that the only argument against pressing is an emotional one and not a reasonable one.

To Dav and Nick and others who want to challenge my opinion on when pressing became a thing, please remember that I was there with you screaming to the top of my lungs. But what I realize now is that a side effect of proactively disclosing pressing is that people, who may have been unaware of what pressing was, will want to know what pressing is. Once you know what pressing is, it's hard to not consider pressing books rather than sell them and let someone else collect the benefit.

I still think proactively disclosing pressing was a good idea. But it definitely increased discussion about pressing and the number of people who do it.

I run a pressing business due to what I discovered here.

Do you disclose to your ebay audience that a book has been pressed?

I tried, but all I got were endless "what does it mean, the book is "pressed""?

When I explained it to them, it was like trying to explain Mars to 6th century Frenchmen.

But I have no problem disclosing it to anyone who wants to know. Since I've advertised here that I do it, and have stated that all my slabbed books were pressed by me, it's not really a problem.

I didn't know this when I bought those slabs from you :ohnoez:

PM forthcoming.

Bait you? I was trying to show that the only argument against pressing is an emotional one and not a reasonable one.

That's absurd. Do you even remember why pristine comics commanded higher prices to begin with?

Do you remember the 'awe' of finding old comics that had been PRESERVED that way?

State of Preservation. Remember that?

You're above statement is complete asshattery.

cvkRDlN.gif

No, not at all. Learning that there are very few absolutes in life, at least as far as man is concerned, is one of the keys to happiness. You don't have to get upset when people don't see things your way. It's ok to disagree, and not think everyone else is "wrong."

I highly recommend it.

:cloud9:

cvkRDlN.gif

No, not at all. Learning that there are very few absolutes in life, at least as far as man is concerned, is one of the keys to happiness. You don't have to get upset when people don't see things your way. It's ok to disagree, and not think everyone else is "wrong."

I highly recommend it.

Condesension masquerading as enlightenment.... :cloud9:

cvkRDlN.gif

I highly recommend it.

Condesension masquerading as enlightenment.... :cloud9:

I don't want to argue with you. I retract my statement.

I was wrong.

:foryou:

To Dav and Nick and others who want to challenge my opinion on when pressing became a thing, please remember that I was there with you screaming to the top of my lungs. But what I realize now is that a side effect of proactively disclosing pressing is that people, who may have been unaware of what pressing was, will want to know what pressing is. Once you know what pressing is, it's hard to not consider pressing books rather than sell them and let someone else collect the benefit.

I still think proactively disclosing pressing was a good idea. But it definitely increased discussion about pressing and the number of people who do it.

I run a pressing business due to what I discovered here.

Do you disclose to your ebay audience that a book has been pressed?

I tried, but all I got were endless "what does it mean, the book is "pressed""?

When I explained it to them, it was like trying to explain Mars to 6th century Frenchmen.

But I have no problem disclosing it to anyone who wants to know. Since I've advertised here that I do it, and have stated that all my slabbed books were pressed by me, it's not really a problem.

I didn't know this when I bought those slabs from you :ohnoez:

PM forthcoming.

Those were not books I slabbed, nor were they slabbed for a client.

Full disclosure: I bought them off eBay from a client who presses, so they are probably pressed...but I cannot, myself, say for sure. They went from client --> ebay ---> me ---> you.

That's absurd. Do you even remember why pristine comics commanded higher prices to begin with?

Do you remember the 'awe' of finding old comics that had been PRESERVED that way?

Mission accomplished.

:insane:

Mission accomplished.

:insane:

It's nice to see Beyonder on the receiving end for a change. He's such a master baiter himself....

:whistle:

cvkRDlN.gif

It's statements like this that make it personal, you just didn't bother to name any one person. It's two sides defending their opinions.