• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Did Pressing Become A Thing?
1 1

125 posts in this topic

I like to think, re: pressing, that I didn't abandon my principles, but that I changed my mind. Since I am forced to sell my comics, if I can get more $ by pressing and slabbing them, I will do so. I have to admit, I don't collect CGC'd books, but I see the value in having books CGC'd.

-slym

It's just that I - like scores of others here - know precisely why you stage such a rugged defence of CGC's shortcomings and make every effort to deflect elsewhere.

What did I deflect and defend?

:o

You have as much a vested interest in this as me (just as Bedrock stated last week). You are just inflexible and refuse to ever admit when you're wrong.

I've already explained that I answered the OP and also explained my answer. If that's a deflection and we're having another pressing thread, I'm out.

I've had enough of those to last me a lifetime.

I didn't realise Richard had made any such comments...I don't usually have the time for CG.

I've now tracked them down and answered appropriately.

In truth, I am potentially damaging my 'vested interests' with my continuing criticisms...but that won't stop me calling BS.

Giving is the head-up on what, precisely?

That you're clueless?

Don't worry, this thread is probably sufficient. \(thumbs u

:roflmao:

And they say Americans can't do irony. :/

So its interesting that pressing has been around for as long as indicated in this thread. I didn't think it was done before the early 2000s. Did cgc start offering it in 2012 or 2013? Presumably the number of pressed books increases dramatically after cgc gets into it? I guess the main thing I'm wondering is there a specific date or point in time circa 2012/13 where the chances any given certified book was pressed increase?

It was already happening en masse, and CGC basically decided to get their money in on it by buying one of the biggest names in pressing and resto, and bringing him in house. 

On 4/27/2014 at 4:48 PM, Transplant said:

To Dav and Nick and others who want to challenge my opinion on when pressing became a thing, please remember that I was there with you screaming to the top of my lungs. But what I realize now is that a side effect of proactively disclosing pressing is that people, who may have been unaware of what pressing was, will want to know what pressing is. Once you know what pressing is, it's hard to not consider pressing books rather than sell them and let someone else collect the benefit.

I still think proactively disclosing pressing was a good idea. But it definitely increased discussion about pressing and the number of people who do it.

I love it when even my enemies agree with me. :cloud9: