• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calgary Comic And Entertainment Expo, April 16-19, 2015

287 posts in this topic

Home after a long day of traveling.

Looking forward to next year already.

Congratulations to the Edmonton Oilers for winning this years draft lottery.

Pleasure meeting you Joey. You're a fun guy to hang out with. Glad you're thinking about coming again next year.

Home

Got into an argument with a taxi driver not know that there are now zone fares from YVR!!

I feel like a bigger fool than usual.

xoxo

greggy

Home after a long day of traveling.

Looking forward to next year already.

Congratulations to the Edmonton Oilers for winning this years draft lottery.

Pleasure meeting you Joey. You're a fun guy to hang out with. Glad you're thinking about coming again next year.

Same here guys. Only next year I am wearing my Rangers jersey every day.

I suspect those of you who remember our past con reports are gonna be disappointed. Don't know if Karl took any pics and I didn't take many. Far short of Karl's epic 700 pic, Great Wall of China photo exhibition last year.

Had a great time at the show. Many repeat customers who tell us they like our grading and prices and tons of new collectors and readers in our booth. These shows and the new movies and TV shows are bringing an entire new generation to our hobby. It's wonderful. We had tons of young kids buying comics - we always give them a discount and tell them to take some bonus free books out of our $1 boxes. They always get so excited and we think it's important to get them hooked on the books.

I had to price keys up about 35% to reflect acquisition costs. Weak Canadian dollar really hurts. That and lower oil prices put a damper on key sales. We've had Calgary Expo shows where we sold 50% of our wall books but that wasn't the case this time.

Sales I remember:

Daredevil 1

Green Lantern 76

Hulk 181 X 3

Mask Comics 1

Spiderman 300 X 2

Avengers 57

Walking Dead 1

Less keys but tons of cheaper books and a good amount of $1 books and sets.

People were asking for Flash 139, Walking Dead 1, Daredevil 1, Xmen 4, Spiderman 300, New Mutants 98.

I picked up a lovely Phantom Lady 16 from Andy and a Captain America 18 from Mike. Thanks guys.

It was great to see everyone that came out to the show.

As far as sales, the biggest book I put on the wall with an intent to sell was a CGC 5.0 X-Men #4 that sold for $750. I sold both copies of Avengers #55 I brought with me to the show as well - a CGC 6.5 for $250 packaged with the X-Men #4 and a raw 5.5/6.0 to another dealer for $225.

I had plenty of people look at my CGC 9.8 BA #12 ($3500 sticker ;) ) and CGC 9.8 NM #98 ($1500 then $1000 sticker ;) ) but no takers.

I had one person ready to buy the NM #98 for $900 but his buddy told him that he would be overpaying for it - $900 CDN = ~$750 USD which is below the 12 month GPA average. Next year the $1500 sticker price will likely be accurate...........

There were plenty of lookers at the 9.8 BA #12, but no takers for some reason. lol

I also had several people check out my Spawn #1 9.8 at $100, with a couple of them asking if I had room to move. Dave and Karl sold a few Spawn #1s at $25, and I moved a bunch of #221s and #223s (homage covers) for $20 apiece (I picked up a small stack of Spawn #220, 221, 222, 223 for cover from another dealer at the show during set up). Spawn is starting to heat up again, I guess.........

The best selling books for me at the show were......Death of Wolverine sets for $35 apiece. We must have moved 40 or more of them. Spider-Gwen and Silk #1 regulars moved all show long at $8, along with Star Wars/Princess Leia/Darth Vader #1s at $6. Harley and Deadpool moved fast all weekend long as well.

I also moved all of the TMNTs I had: #2 (1st) VFish for $250; #3 (1sts) - $250 for 9.2 and $200 for 9.0; #4 (1sts) - $150 for 9.0; $100 for 9.0, and $75 for a 6.0/6.5 copy.

My most surprising sale - a VF Nowhere Men #1 for $5. hm

It was a great show overall. I was very pleased to move so many moderns to buy keys with. lol

It was an interesting show!

For as little as I post here, it was still good to see everyone.

I got some sketches I will post when I manage to get them scanned.

I also got a nice Superman 32 off Harley.

I suspect those of you who remember our past con reports are gonna be disappointed. Don't know if Karl took any pics and I didn't take many. Far short of Karl's epic 700 pic, Great Wall of China photo exhibition last year.

Had a great time at the show. Many repeat customers who tell us they like our grading and prices and tons of new collectors and readers in our booth. These shows and the new movies and TV shows are bringing an entire new generation to our hobby. It's wonderful. We had tons of young kids buying comics - we always give them a discount and tell them to take some bonus free books out of our $1 boxes. They always get so excited and we think it's important to get them hooked on the books.

I had to price keys up about 35% to reflect acquisition costs. Weak Canadian dollar really hurts. That and lower oil prices put a damper on key sales. We've had Calgary Expo shows where we sold 50% of our wall books but that wasn't the case this time.

Sales I remember:

Daredevil 1

Green Lantern 76

Hulk 181 X 3

Mask Comics 1

Spiderman 300 X 2

Avengers 57

Walking Dead 1

People were asking for Flash 139, Walking Dead 1, Daredevil 1, Xmen 4, Spiderman 300, New Mutants 98.

I picked up a lovely Phantom Lady 16 from Andy and a Captain America 18 from Mike. Thanks guys.

SS4 9.0 :baiting:

Sales I remember:

Daredevil 1

Green Lantern 76

Hulk 181 X 3

Mask Comics 1

Spiderman 300 X 2

Avengers 57

Walking Dead 1

Sorry forgot that one. Nice pick up John.

Sales I remember:

Daredevil 1

Green Lantern 76

Hulk 181 X 3

Mask Comics 1

Spiderman 300 X 2

Avengers 57

Walking Dead 1

Sorry forgot that one. Nice pick up John.

I can't believe you took advantage of a friend on that deal........ :devil:

Sales I remember:

Daredevil 1

Green Lantern 76

Hulk 181 X 3

Mask Comics 1

Spiderman 300 X 2

Avengers 57

Walking Dead 1

Sorry to all but I am a busy guy and I don't have time to upload hundreds of pics. Last years thread took me over 20 hours to do.

Sales I remember:

Daredevil 1

Green Lantern 76

Hulk 181 X 3

Mask Comics 1

Spiderman 300 X 2

Avengers 57

Walking Dead 1

Sorry to all but I am a busy guy and I don't have time to upload hundreds of pics. Last years thread took me over 20 hours to do.

Booooooo!!!!!!!! :preach:

The cosplay was not as good this year as it has been the past couple so no big deal.........

Really? Can't answer that since I was not there the last 2 years prior until now. Went this year recently. I thought the cosplay was pretty good.

Had a great time at the Calgary con, going for the first time. Very busy, well run affair with lots of nice books to see and other eye candy.

Tom Kenny, the voice of Sponge Bob was so great with my 2 girls who met him, he did a video happy birthday message for my oldest daughter's friend's 18th, it was perfect. Great sport and super funny, even did a spot on Stan Lee inpersonation when I told him I was bummed he wasn't there.

Thanks to 500Club (Brian) for doing a trade for the final cog in my Spider-man collection - a very nice graded 4.0 Spidey 1 Sorry I couldn't go out for drinks after but kids spoil everything, next year I'm flying solo.

Here's me and Spidey at home cheering on my Jets who are sadly almost out of the playoffs :(

vi16hf.jpg

The cosplay was not as good this year as it has been the past couple so no big deal.........

Really? Can't answer that since I was not there the last 2 years prior until now. Went this year recently. I thought the cosplay was pretty good.

I thought the cosplay was twice as good last year. Seems like I rarely saw a good costume.

Had a great time at the Calgary con, going for the first time. Very busy, well run affair with lots of nice books to see and other eye candy.

Tom Kenny, the voice of Sponge Bob was so great with my 2 girls who met him, he did a video happy birthday message for my oldest daughter's friend's 18th, it was perfect. Great sport and super funny, even did a spot on Stan Lee inpersonation when I told him I was bummed he wasn't there.

Thanks to 500Club (Brian) for doing a trade for the final cog in my Spider-man collection - a very nice graded 4.0 Spidey 1 Sorry I couldn't go out for drinks after but kids spoil everything, next year I'm flying solo.

Here's me and Spidey at home cheering on my Jets who are sadly almost out of the playoffs :(

vi16hf.jpg

Awsome pic, love the Spidey 1