• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calgary Comic And Entertainment Expo, April 16-19, 2015

287 posts in this topic

Okay, so here goes a mini con report.

here's my booth before set up

IMG_3853_zpsmkmoa0b5.jpg

I decided to lay down an interlocking anti-fatigue mat as a floor. Turned out to be a brilliant move. :whee:

IMG_3854_zpsdvslxnen.jpg

Here's a far away shot.

IMG_3855_zps9yftpouk.jpg

a little bit closer....

IMG_3856_zpstmkrdtbw.jpg

This family was tired of having their picture taken about 15 minutes after the show opened. It's going to be a long day. :gossip:

IMG_3860_zpstm30kyzb.jpg

then people started to come in

IMG_3863_zpsozffr6kn.jpg

IMG_3861_zpsk1ruhutr.jpg

IMG_3862_zpsbdfgkn1x.jpg

Dave, Karl, Brian and Ryan's booth. Better books are hidden, so don't even think about it. :preach:

IMG_3859_zpsmx1uedg7.jpg

Costumes!

IMG_3875_zpspmen6rhm.jpg

IMG_3874_zpskuhkgnka.jpg

IMG_3873_zpsjwcoa81c.jpg

IMG_3872_zpsx52eru3v.jpg

IMG_3866_zps2qprpxo2.jpg

IMG_3870_zpsa1g2vb1o.jpg

IMG_3864_zpstzfdsivp.jpg

IMG_3896_zpssrc32kbl.jpg

IMG_3903_zps3remzwgu.jpg

IMG_3902_zpsajsjmnns.jpg

IMG_3895_zpsynjegx12.jpg

IMG_3865_zpswvrpkht3.jpg

Some guy dressed up as a hockey fan:

IMG_3884_zpskz4wbiyt.jpg

The gang went out on Friday night to a bar called Hose and Hound. Turned out to be a fun night, aside from watching the Flames game on distant, small TVs.

From the bottom left, heading up: Ryan (kimik), Joeypost, Jaysen (YKOil), Karl (artboy99), Dave (thehumantorch), my buddy Dave (thehumanchickenwing), Thor (FantasticThor), greggy, Josh (skinny_white_boy), John (piper), and Brian (500club). I'm taking the picture.

IMG_3867_zps3ddxthla.jpg

It was a very good time, chatting with my buddies from all over.

Saturday night, we went to the Keg, and stood for a while until some chairs and tables became available. Here's some pics from another very fun time. (thumbs u

Joe and Josh

IMG_3881_zpszv11qrrc.jpg

Greggy, Mike, Karl, Ryan and Brian

IMG_3880_zpsswfezvp5.jpg

Brian and Dave

IMG_3877_zpsvcvu0ne0.jpg

I had my friends snap a picture of me with every little group of guys.

Joe, myself, and Josh (great, great guy, by the way)

IMG_3886_zps8nsyklgk.jpg

My buddy, Dave, myself and greggy

IMG_3887_zpsuzg2b8m4.jpg

Karl had one too many.... :eek:

IMG_3888_zpsiapy8vyh.jpg

Ryan was happy that Edmonton got the first choice in the upcoming NHL draft.

IMG_3891_zps1mkf5spp.jpg

Brian, myself and Dave

IMG_3885_zpsgdq6w26w.jpg

and a group shot :D

IMG_3894_zpsrqp1spat.jpg

I'll close with a nice picture of Josh and greggy,

IMG_3899_zpssqanfww9.jpg

a great big statue,

IMG_3900_zpsg2beefmz.jpg

and a few pics of the Calgary Flames playoff game on Sunday night. What a perfect way to end a perfect show!

IMG_3914_zpshzabd9ob.jpg

IMG_3908_zpsfijg1m7g.jpg

IMG_3913_zpsi9ayl8g1.jpg

IMG_3917_zps4hxmko8m.jpg

andy,

Finally, someone with a steady hand on the camera. Great rack with 3 ASM #1's <3 and 4 X-men #1's. Nice pic of joeypost in his hockey hoodie, and the Bromance <3 dinner shots too.

Just heard that there may be a competing smaller Calgary comicon on the exact same :pullhair: weekend as the Sun. Sept 13/15 Red and White show. I will be staying in Vancouver that Sunday, as we have the local small con.

Thanks for the photos, Andy. Nice to meet you ... hope to see you again sometime in the next con. A friend of mine might want go for next year's Calgary Expo so that is something to think, but going to ECCC is a yes.

Surprised that you didn't capture photos of other cosplayers like the Pokemon samurai warrior (in yellow) and others. Have your camera run out of space already? :grin:

Close up of your wall in booth...

Calgary%20Expo%20Con%202015%20010_zps8zs4bsyc.jpg

Calgary%20Expo%20Con%202015%20009_zpsfrmrmzdf.jpg

Saturday night, we went to the Keg, and stood for a while until some chairs and tables became available. Here's some pics from another very fun time. (thumbs u

Joe and Josh

IMG_3881_zpszv11qrrc.jpg

Greggy, Mike, Karl, Ryan and Brian

IMG_3880_zpsswfezvp5.jpg

Brian and Dave

IMG_3877_zpsvcvu0ne0.jpg

I had my friends snap a picture of me with every little group of guys.

Joe, myself, and Josh (great, great guy, by the way)

IMG_3886_zps8nsyklgk.jpg

My buddy, Dave, myself and greggy

IMG_3887_zpsuzg2b8m4.jpg

Karl had one too many.... :eek:

IMG_3888_zpsiapy8vyh.jpg

Ryan was happy that Edmonton got the first choice in the upcoming NHL draft.

IMG_3891_zps1mkf5spp.jpg

Brian, myself and Dave

IMG_3885_zpsgdq6w26w.jpg

and a group shot :D

IMG_3894_zpsrqp1spat.jpg

You know, I DID have to many! I had 5 drinks before we got our tables and ordered food.

The gang went out on Friday night to a bar called Hose and Hound. Turned out to be a fun night, aside from watching the Flames game on distant, small TVs.

From the bottom left, heading up: Ryan (kimik), Joeypost, Jaysen (YKOil), Karl (artboy99), Dave (thehumantorch), my buddy Dave (thehumanchickenwing), Thor (FantasticThor), greggy, Josh (skinny_white_boy), John (piper), and Brian (500club). I'm taking the picture.

IMG_3867_zps3ddxthla.jpg

Funniest moment of the con was kimik posting on the boards that I'd found another Canadian White collection. Stephen, the big Canadian White collector was immediately trying to contact us to get more info. We were at the keg and Kimik was laughing so hard he was choking. Even posted that thirdgreenham had bought a new collection and was bringing it to market on the Sunday of the show. I did pm Stephen and he was a good sport about the whole silly thing and he sent a pm to Kimik saying he had booked a red eye flight to Calgary and was on his way to the airport. Would have been the perfect ending to the joke but Kimik's food arrived and he quit reading his pms.

IMG_3867_zps3ddxthla.jpg

Funniest moment of the con was kimik posting on the boards that I'd found another Canadian White collection. Stephen, the big Canadian White collector was immediately trying to contact us to get more info. We were at the keg and Kimik was laughing so hard he was choking. Even posted that thirdgreenham had bought a new collection and was bringing it to market on the Sunday of the show. I did pm Stephen and he was a good sport about the whole silly thing and he sent a pm to Kimik saying he had booked a red eye flight to Calgary and was on his way to the airport. Would have been the perfect ending to the joke but Kimik's food arrived and he quit reading his pms.

For the record, I did buy a collection on Saturday night and brought it to market on Sunday. :preach:

IMG_3867_zps3ddxthla.jpg

:blush:;)

Great Show again crew !

Really enjoyed this one as there were a ton of friends and board members who came out.

As usual great to see Karl and the Edmonton boys.

Was able to buy some keys from Andy. Andy was also nice enough to pick up some of my Drek in trade to help with the deals. He even gave me a nice sunday deal on afew more books !

Had a great time out at dinner. I think Joey may know more about hockey then he knows about funny books ! Great discussions.

As usual the chats with Greggy and the rest of the crew were excellent.

As far as sketches I picked up some more additions to the SOTI book sketch collection.. and some nice SOTI Canadians as well !

Thanks again to ALL the folks again.. some great times with great friends ! I would suggest this show to anyone who wants to BS about funny books anytime !

Have to admit, the Flames destroyed the Canucks even though the Canucks initially led 3 to nil. wtf Sedins, Miller? :slapfight:

Like me..they are over the hill. Vancouver needs lots of new blood.