• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern #40 9.4 only bid up to $910 on ebay, saaaay what?

15 posts in this topic

I followed this Green Lantern #40 9.4 Universal Label on ebay and was very surprised it only got bid up to $910. Seller did have a reserve that was not met, but what gives, this book usually has no problem pushing $2000 or more in 9.4 any other time? Does having a reserve turn off potential buyers that much or is there something I'm missing?

Here a link to the original listing if you want to check it out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Lantern-40-CGC-9-4-First-DC-Multiverse-/331184355713?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=vNP32MKXAg%252B3MD%252Bs8MnZ8yIQRg0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Well reserves are really annoying. Most likely people interested in the book sent private messages to the buyer. I always PM to ask what the reserve is. Guess what? It's usually way off market value. It's just annoying to buyers.

e-bay is the place for people who like to pick up good stuff and not pay market price

Best bet for the seller is to put in the hands of the auction houses who get the fair dinkum punters and not the cheapskates.

You will have to pay the commission but you get a better price and the items sold and you do not need to set a reserve.

All discussion of ebay and no-reserves aside, I've always thought that book was overrated and was due for considerable resistance. Phicks is right that its value is somehow connected to Crisis. But even that concept had been around for quite awhile before GL 40. For a span of about 1988-1998, it was getting a lot of love because people were treating it like it was the equivalent of Flash #123. There are numerous problems with that.

First, the Flash is considerably earlier and tougher in grade. By the time the GL came out, there was a developing sensibility that comics were worth keeping. The "Go-Go Checks" era and the Batman TV series were just around the corner and there was a small but evolving sense there was something more to comics than just cheap kid thrills. The Flash was subject to substantially more attrition than the GL.

Secondly, there are numerous (nearly 10) actual appearances of Alan Scott predating GL #40:

Flash 123 Sept. 1961 (10¢)

Flash 129 June 1962 1st appearance in flashback (Big box 12¢)

Flash 137 June 1963

JLA 21 August 1963

JLA 22 Sept. 1963

JLA 29 Aug. 1964

JLA 30 Sept. 1964

JLA 37 Aug. 1965

JLA 38 Sept. 1965

Showcase 55 Mar./Apr. 1965

GL 40 Oct. 1965

Even Jay Garrett's 4th appearance in the silver age Flash title--while not containing a GL appearance--came out the same month as Showcase 55. According to OPG, GL 40 isn't even the 1st time Alan Scott appears solo. Showcase 55 has that honor, but he appears along with Hourman and Dr. Fate, so I'm not sure how they consider that "solo." Regardless of whether it's the 1st or 2nd solo appearance, I'd imagine that most people are less interested in the technicality of a "solo" appearance than they are in an actual 1st appearance, especially if that solo appearance is predated by MULTIPLE non-solo appearances. But it took a number of years for it to sink in just HOW MANY appearances predated GL 40. In that time, it gained notoriety enough for the price to get jacked up considerably. Finally some people--and certainly not ALL--started to get wise to the overhyped dynamic of the book even though some people pointed to it as being an "Origin of Infinite Earths"--whatever that means. Admittedly, I'm not really sure what differentiates that from the concept of "Crisis" which had been around for numerous [aforementioned] issues prior to GL 40. Maybe somebody can explain this?

GL #40 was broken out originally because it was an origin issue: "The Secret Origin of the Guardians of the Universe." Then when the 1980s Crisis on Infinite Earths came out, it was ret-conned that the events of GL #40 originally split the multiverse into Earth 1, Earth 2, etc. It was at that point the book took off.

But with DC's continuity having been over-written yet again (I think...) it does seem this book is overdue for a correction.

And GL Alan Scott did not appear in Flash #123, but your point is nevertheless valid.

GL #40 was broken out originally because it was an origin issue: "The Secret Origin of the Guardians of the Universe." Then when the 1980s Crisis on Infinite Earths came out, it was ret-conned that the events of GL #40 originally split the multiverse into Earth 1, Earth 2, etc. It was at that point the book took off.

But with DC's continuity having been over-written yet again (I think...) it does seem this book is overdue for a correction.

And GL Alan Scott did not appear in Flash #123, but your point is nevertheless valid.

Thanks for the correction. I actually didn't mean to include it in the list other than to indicate the date on 1st GA Flash as a reference, but I can see now that it appeared that way since I didn't have any notation there. (thumbs u

Definitely a cool, iconic cover, but, as has been noted, there are just too many earlier 'silver age' appearances. I still think it's a great book, though.

Update: the relisted auction ended last night with an even lower final bid of $815. Obviously the reserve is having an adverse effect. meh

That was my bid. I entered $825 for the hell of it. No one seems interested in it. I would just stick it in my collection and trade it some day. In my opinion, with cream pages on the label anywhere, it's worth about $825.