• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manipulation Record Expungement?

196 posts in this topic

I think in order to believe that CGC is pulling threads that paint them in an unfavourable light, you would simultaneously have to believe that they monitor the boards around the clock in order to pull them,

Not at all. they just need a dedicated staff of button-humper watchers that come to for a couple hours each afternoon.

I think in order to believe that CGC is pulling threads that paint them in an unfavourable light, you would simultaneously have to believe that they monitor the boards around the clock in order to pull them,

Not at all. they just need a dedicated staff of button-humper watchers that come to for a couple hours each afternoon.

squealers?

squealers?

Possibly..., :think: when their belts are oily or soiled..,

I thought it was funny.

Making fun of myself like that.

I laughed, and I hate your guts. :cool:

Dang I don't hate anyone on here but I'm glad you laughed.

I thought it was funny.

55555555555555555555.gif

They're just words-I save my hate for real-life scenarios like miscreant thieves or woman beaters

They're just words-I save my hate for real-life scenarios like miscreant thieves or woman beaters
679367181454661705.gif

I thought it was funny.

55555555555555555555.gif

That is the BEST gremlin,it should be part of your title!!I love it!!!

679367181454661705.gif

And that always makes me laugh..keep em coming,you'll have me peeing my pants anytime now!! lol

My custom title should be something like "If you're thinking about out-posting me you must live in a 4 by 4 room with a computer and a tiny food slot"

or

"If you think I'm annoying you should meet me in person"

With a fish-to-face

I noticed this recently as well. I tried to find the Cole Shave thread through the post I made in it. My post count is X, but the number of posts in my post history is X-1. The one missing post is from the Cole Shave thread. If the thread is not deleted, it is doing a pretty good imitation of being deleted. I've only entered the CGC part of the hobby in 2013. I will tell you it is very hard to be new collector and keep up with all the shenanigans in this hobby. Makes a person not want to be part of the hobby...

Interesting stuff.

I just checked my "total post count" against my "all posts made by" history.

And after multiple threads were reinstated today, I am still missing 82 posts. (shrug)

Coincidence or is there a reason why it isn't available.

I've emailed paul for a reason on the manufactured gold threads.

He emailed me back and was not aware they were not available and will look into it.

If it was my birthday thread then yes it should still be available since clearly I am capable of getting some answers around here.

Mark Zaid respond yet?

You must have some kinda clout, Bob. :o

The MG thread was locked then removed from view more than a few years ago. And several people, including Mark if I remember correctly, tried to get it reinstated.

I wonder why the sudden change of heart from CGC?

In any event, thanks for putting a little muscle behind the effort today. :applause:

Unfortunately, those all old threads demonstrated that the JIM 83 fiasco was not an isolated incident, but rather, illustrative of a pattern of the shysters always being one step ahead of the graders at CGC. Oh well, I hope Mark Zaid can get them to re-instate those informative threads. :wishluck:

It's unfortunate that old threads were removed but if people are trying to stay one step ahead of CGC graders, how do you think that leaves those that don't know how to grade or check for resto?

We're still miles ahead because

a) the issues were brought to light

b) the general collecting public can still apply pressure through ongoing conversation

c) CGC graders are in the top percentile to catch stuff that 99% of people will miss

You have to be the biggest CGC apologist i've seen yet. :facepalm:

I'm with Roy on this. CGC's opinion is still better than 99% of the people out there. I don't think I am the only one that has purchased books from people that I respect (and still do) only to later find that they had resto that he and I both missed. This debate seems to take place in extremes - CGC's opinion is worth nothing vs. CGC is the final infallible arbitrator.

I take neither of these positions. I believe CGC's opinion as to grade or resto is worth paying a premium for, but I know stuff can and does get past them. I consider this risk when I buy a CGC book. If I believed that CGC was perfect and graded consistently 100% of the time and caught resto 100% of the time, I would pay much more of a premium. The problem seems to be that it appears a lot of people thought CGC was pretty close to infallible and started paying a premium for CGC books based on this assumption. These incidents have shaken their faith. However, if you look at CGC less like an all powerful deity and more like a skilled, experienced craftsman, these incidents don't hurt as bad.

..... yup. In the beginning CGC appealed to me because I liked their grading and I was tired of getting books in the mail or from shows that were 2 full grade increments off. The resto thing wasn't even my main concern. As I watched many, many PLODS with just the slightest amount of resto go for very low percentages of guide I couldn't help but to take notice. I began to think I was in the minority and needed to rethink my position..... but as the years went by I have started to gravitate back to my original thinking..... that if the resto is so slight that only a handful of people in the world can even find it..... AND the book in question is available at a deep discount ...... maybe, as a financially challenged working stiff.... I should just count my blessings . The CGC slab still provides the utmost confidence for me ...... I doubt there will be anything better. Glad the threads are back, however, as those who search for flawless and untouched books should have the right and resources to do so, despite how I may feel. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

So what is "common about threads that disappear".

The threads in question where deleted by mistake.

Sadly, it's not unusual for CGC to delete threads that may show CGC is a negative light.

There was once a great Classic CGC Threads which listed Classic threads from this Board.

If you look through the linked thread, most of the controversial threads have disappeared.

I couldn't help noticing the Manufactured Gold! link in your sig also gets an 'Access denied'.

Since it's considered one of the most educational threads in the history of the Board it's bound to be just an anomaly or some oversight. Should be back up soon.

In the meantime, until they can get whatever's going on fixed, there are two large PDFs of the thread available online, for those with Adobe Reader.

Manufactured Gold 1.pdf

Manufactured Gold 2.pdf

Probably won't be needed for long, if at all. It'll be back up in no time.

But you can no doubt find a 200-response "Happy Birthday" thread from 2004 if you care to search.

Oh well, I guess it must just be a coincidence.

Bob is this thread's hero, without question.

'Manufactured Gold' is almost back up, soon as they get the Lock taken care of.

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Wow. Manufactured Gold is one of this board's most classic threads.

This is my first time seeing that thread... it'll take some time to go through but it sounds like it would be well worth it! Right now, it looks like the attached images aren't fully up but they're viewable on the PDF.

Anyways, I'm glad to see those other threads back up and thank you to those involved for making that happen! :applause:

My custom title should be something like "If you're thinking about out-posting me you must live in a 4 by 4 room with a computer and a tiny food slot"

or

"If you think I'm annoying you should meet me in person"

With a fish-to-face

yarp