• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

With this repair it is gonna inflate the number of high grade copies and ruin the investment potential

You mean since the census numbers are going to artificially inflate prices will decline due to simple supply-and-demand numbers, but to make matters worse, the price declines will be exasperated b/c people don't want to buy over-graded books? hm

This is just like pressing ....everybody was a crybaby and they are doing it....now everybody is upset because they have to regrade.... Don't be a big fat sucker....we have to do it now.....

Who exactly taught you how to grade or maybe I'm just missing how you write.

A 6.0 is a 6.0, If the front cover is a 6.0 and the back cover is a 9.0 it's a 6.0

If there are defects on the front and back cover that result in it being a 6.0 then it's a 6.0.

There are no bonus points just because the back cover on one book is nicer than the other.

As I stated the structural defect shouldn't matter if it's on the front or back.

You are welcome to gather the necessary financial backing and start your own grading company.

When your grading company is up and running we can then judge how you grade and the consistency over time. If things get by I'm sure you will have the "overseer" to handle any PR issues.

It's always easier to be a bar stool coach then to play the game.

I'm always a "Money talks, Bullsheet walks" person so I will be blunt about this.

I disagree Bob. You're claiming that because someone isn't in the position to compete with the dominant force in the high end market that they have no right to criticise or demand change.

I'll state this again. What the do you want him to say or do?

We are stopping all grading until this gets resolved.

Nothing goes out until we come to the bottom of this.

All CGC graders will be "retrained" and "yelled at" for failing to catch this new "pressing manipulation".

Tape will no longer be tolerated because the CGC forum has spoken. Doesn't matter if I need to talk to my boss about this.

I want him to say, "we will re-evaluate how we grade."

While I haven't seen a close up of what the new back cover looks like, I'm not so sure it's spine stresses on the back cover that are causing the problem.

It's quite possible that the majority of the wear has been positioned on the apex of the spine and not on the back cover...

If that is the case, then CGC has actually been grading consistently because to my knowledge they do grade both front and rear covers and I am not sure that the theory that the front cover carries all the weight and back cover doesn't is true - at least on books that I have submitted. CGC does allow more wear right on the apex of the spine than it does on either the front or back covers. This seems more consistent with what I have been seeing.

What I didn't understand was how a book could fetch a high grade with the pages fanned.

Really, I have a problem with "immediate action" or "Lack of".

Yup, we need a full time "overseer". Doesn't matter what he/she costs. Besides wasn't Mark Zaid supposed to be doing this or advising CGC on stuff like this? Or was it just me reading that. Another political appointee that doesn't do anything to placate the masses.

Comments like Paul is giving his usual song and dance. They IGNORE us. Really?

that, Run a business and then evaluate what has been posted.

I am grading based on the accumulation of defects.

How you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

Feel free to enlighten me on what you would grade them.

I would agree with you that no matter how nice a back cover looks, if the front cover looks no better than 6.0, then the book shouldn't grade higher, but if I had a book that looked like a solid 6.0 from the front , yet had a book length color breaking crease and a small piece out of one of the corners of the back cover ( the type of flaw set I would limit to a 3.0 front cover at best) , I'd probably consider the book to be somewhere around a 4.5

The cover has been shifted almost a 1/4"

Not sure I agree with you on this.

Fair enough, but difficult to be sure without quality pics.

I just find it hard to believe that stress on the back cover is ignored. That's not my experience with CGC.

Really, I have a problem with "immediate action" or "Lack of".

Yup, we need a full time "overseer". Doesn't matter what he/she costs. Besides wasn't Mark Zaid supposed to be doing this or advising CGC on stuff like this? Or was it just me reading that. Another political appointee that doesn't do anything to placate the masses.

Comments like Paul is giving his usual song and dance. They IGNORE us. Really?

that, Run a business and then evaluate what has been posted.

You don't need to run a business to evaluate what has been posted. Granted many of the demands made have been unrealistic, but even the casual observer can see that the chain of accountability has been fudged.

I am grading based on the accumulation of defects.

How you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

Feel free to enlighten me on what you would grade them.

I would agree with you that no matter how nice a back cover looks, if the front cover looks no better than 6.0, then the book shouldn't grade higher, but if I had a book that looked like a solid 6.0 from the front , yet had a book length color breaking crease and a small piece out of one of the corners of the back cover ( the type of flaw set I would limit to a 3.0 front cover at best) , I'd probably consider the book to be somewhere around a 4.5

+1

Compare the two back covers...where did that extra 1/4" go?

Re-read my earlier posts about the TRIM job THAT IS THERE...no one sees this but me.

CAL who KNOWS that the back cover had to have been trimmed...

Compare the two back covers...where did that extra 1/4" go?

Re-read my earlier posts about the TRIM job THAT IS THERE...no one sees this but me.

CAL who KNOWS that the back cover had to have been trimmed...

Not trimmed. Just "rolled" out. Which is why the pages are fanned.

It's quite possible that the majority of the wear has been positioned on the apex of the spine and not on the back cover...

lol

Have you even looked at the picture of the spine of the 8.5? The "apex of the spine" might be 1/32" (although theoretically it has 0" width), this beast has numerous 1/8 - 1/4" spine stresses.

With this repair it is gonna inflate the number of high grade copies and ruin the investment potential

You mean since the census numbers are going to artificially inflate prices will decline due to simple supply-and-demand numbers, but to make matters worse, the price declines will be exasperated b/c people don't want to buy over-graded books? hm

This is just like pressing ....everybody was a crybaby and they are doing it....now everybody is upset because they have to regrade.... Don't be a big fat sucker....we have to do it now.....

Not everyone is doing it. Are you always this much of a ?

Who exactly taught you how to grade or maybe I'm just missing how you write.

A 6.0 is a 6.0, If the front cover is a 6.0 and the back cover is a 9.0 it's a 6.0

If there are defects on the front and back cover that result in it being a 6.0 then it's a 6.0.

There are no bonus points just because the back cover on one book is nicer than the other.

This I fully agree with

As I stated the structural defect shouldn't matter if it's on the front or back.

Perhaps I'm not being clear, but it seems if you believe that a book should grade no higher or lower than it's more flawed side, then grading the "nicer" side becomes irrelevant. Whatever additional flaws are accumulated, as long as they don't render that side inferior don't change the overall grade of the book. How is that considering the accumulation of flaws rather than just going with the grade for one side of the book?

wow when you see the back cover, you can see the old spine ticks just staring at you...

:o

That book has been seriously fracked up.

This one is ridiculous with the major splay of the pages. It would have probably gotten a 5.0 without the spine alteration and looked better..... or does someone have proof of it being a 3.5 originally.