• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Answer from CGC.........

1,346 posts in this topic

also, Does anyone have a before and after of a pressed improved book? Would they please post it (anonymously if it was commissioned by you if you want) so that I can see for myself what kinds of defects are actually improved by this ungodly business?? Anybody got them for us to see?

Take a look at this list of resubmitted Edgar Church books.

LINK

Almost all of them were sold and resold in Heritage auctions. Just search their auction database for before and after pics. After analyzing couple of slabs for practise, 90% of the time you can see what was done to the books BEFORE you look at the "after" pics.

Wow thanks Arty 893whatthe.gif Its intersting to see the Boy Comics 17 in there, which I beleive was one of the books that started the clean and press issues. The shocking thing is that it is NOT ALONE. tonofbricks.gif Yet again, buy the book, not the ........

The one that drew my attention was the Comics Cavalcade that went from 7.5 to 9.4. So either something changed or else there is extreme incompetence at work. Some of the books did go down in grade, but the increases and the extent of the increases far outweigh these.

what if you only paid what others have paid for the same book, and , as a result of pressing, more copies in grade appear and your books are less valued?? Thats not overpaying but you still get the shaft.

What if you buy a top census copy and the next day, Chuck finds the Mile High 4 collection that has a box full of NM/MT copies of the issue you just bought? It's all a gamble. Anyone who guys a top census copy for an insane price takes the risk that this could happen.

Not that I like the fact that it could happen artificially, but I really don't think that there are too many books that can be pressed from a 9.6 to a 9.8, so it isn't the top of the census that will take the hit. I firmly believe that the books that will see the largest increases in population are those in the 5.0 to 9.0 category, which tend to have non-color-breaking defects that can be pressed out and upgraded. Most 9.4s, 9.6s, and 9.8s have the kind of wear that can't just be pressed out. I am talking slightly blunted corners, small bindery tears, and maybe a flaked spine stress. NDP doesn't fix any of this.

Oh this is to good to let go

Anyone who"guys"a top census copy for an insane price takes the risk that

this could happen

. Nice to see that you are just like the rest of us FFB you too make mistakes. 27_laughing.gif

I'm shocked that you knew the correct spelling! 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Hey clown, where's the arrival date?

Go back up and look again. I fixed it. foreheadslap.gif

The "88" in the M was erased.

(Dry erasure isn't considered restoration.)

do you think that means folks here should/would be more accepting of dry erasure than NDP??

shouldn't they be viewed equally?? ie., both were meant to "alter" the book, even though in both cases, nothing original was added or taken away. and do they not consider it resto just because, or because it can't be detected???

FFB, do you have any other examples of "alteration" where CGC doesn't consider it resto?? (other than those GA books that have either minor amount of glue or minor color-touch). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif