• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insane press and flip Avengers 1.

491 posts in this topic

Honestly, Why should he have to send any of these to be reevaluated? If anything it's CGC's problem. Unless they buy the books out right from him, they can't say anything really. They're sitting in blue labels.

I guess if he refuses to resubmit them, couldn't CGC refund the entire amount of what was billed and remove the serials in question from their online registry. This would then make them 'void' so at the very least would make any potential buyers who perform a Certification Lookup prior to purchasing/bidding very hesitant to proceed.

that isn't fair. I'd be livid if they voided books that I submitted. It's not the submitters problem. It's cgc that has to reevaluate its grading policy f they feel they made a mistake. The submitter is committing no type of fraud. Everything is blue label by the company we all support....

Cert numbers pulled from current on ebay.

Notice the 10569XXXXX series.

25 books my azz.

serial number range and total for that invoice number

1056932001 1056932005 5

1056940001 1056940007 7

1056943001 1056943011 11

1056945001 1056945005 5

1056946001 1056946012 12

1056947001 1056947012 12

1056954001 1056954011 11

1056956001 1056956011 11

1056963001 1056963015 15

1056967001 1056967007 7

1056969001 1056969009 9

1056970001 1056970014 14

1056971001 1056971015 15

1056972001 1056972006 6

1056973001 1056973015 15

1134925001 1134925012 12

1134926001 1134926012 12

total 179

I wrote:

The submitter only very recently created an account and to date has submitted fewer than 25 books

This is an accurate statement.

well, the only thing wrong with this scenario is cgc missing the spine wear. So cgc should come out and make a statement and put this situation to rest. All it is doing is bringing negative heat to the seller because he has the book they messed up on. The only thing that isn't cool is if there's work being done and not being disclosed. At the end of the day the books are in blue labels deemed universal by cgc.

All it is doing is bringing negative heat to the seller because he has the book they messed up on. The only thing that isn't cool is if there's work being done and not being disclosed. At the end of the day the books are in blue labels deemed universal by cgc.

Oh, wildly_fanciful_statement. That seller deserves all the negative heat he gets--he knew what he was doing. You don't shift a spine like that on big-ticket books and not know exactly what you're doing, why you're doing it, and what it means for you financially. You're talking about him like he's an innocent bystander being run over by the CGC steamroller--he's not, at all. (tsk) CGC doesn't own and regulate this hobby--they're a part of it like the rest of us. People give them far too much credit and grant them far too much authority.

All it is doing is bringing negative heat to the seller because he has the book they messed up on. The only thing that isn't cool is if there's work being done and not being disclosed. At the end of the day the books are in blue labels deemed universal by cgc.

Oh, wildly_fanciful_statement. That seller deserves all the negative heat he gets--he knew what he was doing. You don't shift a spine like that on big-ticket books and not know exactly what you're doing, why you're doing it, and what it means for you financially. You're talking about him like he's an innocent bystander being run over by the CGC steamroller--he's not, at all. (tsk) CGC doesn't own and regulate this hobby--they're a part of it like the rest of us. People give them far too much credit and authority.

this practice has been going on for a long time by "good" presses as stated earlier in this thread. So we hang this seller??? Makes no sense. It's CGCs problem. I'm not saying he's innocent at all. His books are obviously not in the previous state they were in and he's not disclosing it. But that's his choice and you can make judgement on that. The only thing it comes down to is opinions of how we all feel about the matter.

At the end of the day is cgc going to treat this kind of treatment with a downgrade in the near future?? Did they mess up the 9.2 by accident??? Why did it get such a bump and it was said the same book as the 8.5. Those are the bigger problems. This thread has already made cgc question their tape policy and that's a huge step in my eyes. It also is bringing to light the kind of treatment books are getting. So watch out.

this practice has been going on for a long time by "good" presses as stated earlier in this thread.

This isn't as simple as pressing, but I reserve judgement until somebody figures out exactly what he's doing. I've read most of both threads--has anyone laid out the procedure required to do this and I missed it? Joeypost seems to know, but he also seems to be unwilling to share the technique for whatever reason.

this practice has been going on for a long time by "good" presses as stated earlier in this thread.

This isn't as simple as pressing, but I reserve judgement until somebody figures out exactly what he's doing. I've read most of both threads--has anyone laid out the procedure required to do this and I missed it? Joeypost seems to know, but he also seems to be unwilling to share the technique for whatever reason.

timely has posted good pressers have been skewing spines for a long time now. It's just not mainstream. So take it for what it is.

timely has posted good pressers have been skewing spines for a long time now. It's just not mainstream. So take it for what it is.

Can someone please post what's being done to shift the spine? If anyone is concerned that people will begin to use that technique indiscriminately if they reveal it, it's too late for that. It's clearly not that tough enough a procedure to worry about that--the tough bit was having the idea to do it in the first place, but that cat's out of the bag now and figuring it out just doesn't look difficult. I'll probably figure it out myself once I get 15 minutes to maybe an hour to look at the scans and think about what was done. I'll probably do that this weekend if someone doesn't list the technique before then.

Can someone please post what's being done to shift the spine? If anyone is concerned that people will begin to use that technique indiscriminately if they reveal it, it's too late for that. It's clearly not that tough enough a procedure to worry about that--the tough bit was having the idea to do it in the first place, but that cat's out of the bag now and figuring it out just doesn't look difficult. I'll probably figure it out myself once I get 15 minutes to maybe an hour to look at the scans and think about what was done. I'll probably do that this weekend if someone doesn't list the technique before then.

press the book flat removing the current spines memory and refold it with a new clean artificial spine

It's not top secret. People have been removing spine rolls from books for decades using pressing. Creating one is no different, it's just the same process in reverse.

press the book flat removing the current spines memory and refold it with a new clean artificial spine

How do you not F up the staples or the spine above and below them? Can you only do this with books whose staples are situated on the front?

How do you not F up the staples or the spine above and below them? Can you only do this with books whose staples are situated on the front?

i think staples play a part in it. I was fiddling with a couple of my beaters and it seemed fairly easy. Also, that technique is just a guess lol but it was the only way I was able to do it.

It's not top secret.

You know better than that. Joey or someone else who knows exactly what's being done would have written the paragraph it takes to explain it by now if they didn't prefer it being kept secret. People don't like restoration techniques being openly discussed because they prefer to keep them close to the chest so they can profit from them with reduced competition or because they hate the idea of that specific type of work and keeping the techniques quiet reduces the number of people who perform them. If people didn't prefer to keep this kind of topic close to the chest, CGC would have never deleted the thread where Povertyrow and FFB quite verbosely described how to press comics.

At the end of the day is cgc going to treat this kind of treatment with a downgrade in the near future?? Did they mess up the 9.2 by accident??? Why did it get such a bump and it was said the same book as the 8.5. Those are the bigger problems. This thread has already made cgc question their tape policy and that's a huge step in my eyes. It also is bringing to light the kind of treatment books are getting. So watch out.

At first it appeared to be an "accident" or something that was missed, but as more and more books show up with the same kind of "error", it appears it might have been part of their secret grading guidelines, a hole that was exploited.

Hopefully, those secret guidelines, will be secretly updated...and maybe we will get a hint when they are.

At first it appeared to be an "accident" or something that was missed, but as more and more books show up with the same kind of "error", it appears it might have been part of their secret grading guidelines, a hole that was exploited.

Hopefully, those secret guidelines, will be secretly updated...and maybe we will get a hint when they are.

yea, for a book with that much damage to go to a 9.2 is alarming for the hobby. Glad they're changing the tape policy and hopefully they make comments about this book in particular. I just don't want this to be a collectors comics bashing fest even if he is doing the work or is paying someone to do the work. He still has a business on eBay and he has 100% feedback. He is using cgc and selling the books at what cgc is grading them. If you want to pass judgement based on work being done and not disclosed. Then that's understandable. So zaid or plitch need to get on and make a final statement and close these threads. The thread did its job and informed people about this type of press or whatever you want to call it. Now it's CGCs job to fix what they can and move on.

It's not top secret.

You know better than that. Joey or someone else who knows exactly what's being done would have written the paragraph it takes to explain it by now if they didn't prefer it being kept secret. People don't like restoration techniques being openly discussed because they prefer to keep them close to the chest so they can profit from them with reduced competition or because they hate the idea of that specific type of work and keeping the techniques quiet reduces the number of people who perform them. If people didn't prefer to keep this kind of topic close to the chest, CGC would have never deleted the thread where Povertyrow and FFB quite verbosely described how to press comics.

Just in case Joey thinks I'm picking on him, I should point out that he expressed his disdain for this spine-shifting earlier in this thread, and because of that, I'm guessing he passed on my request to describe the technique for the second reason for keeping these techniques quiet I mentioned above--he doesn't want more people doing this because he isn't fond of the work. I'm quoting him here to make that fact more clear. :foryou:

Did the defects go away? No. They are still present only on the back of the book.

Does the book looker nicer? No, it now has a spine roll that was purposely introduced.

I press for a living and have a hard time justifying what was done to this book.

I would say the ball that was dropped is still rolling around on the floor.

i think staples play a part in it. I was fiddling with a couple of my beaters and it seemed fairly easy. Also, that technique is just a guess lol but it was the only way I was able to do it.

On the Avengers 1, more of the interior is visible on the right side after the shifting than before it. If all that is being done is to re-do the main fold in a different position without removing or replacing the staples in a different position, how is it that the cover no longer aligns the same way with the interior?

It's not top secret.

Just in case Joey thinks I'm picking on him, I should point out that he expressed his disdain for this spine-shifting earlier in this thread, and because of that, I'm guessing he passed on my request to describe the technique for the second reason for keeping these techniques quiet I mentioned above--he doesn't want more people doing this because he isn't fond of the work. I'm quoting him here to make that fact more clear. :foryou:

Did the defects go away? No. They are still present only on the back of the book.

Does the book looker nicer? No, it now has a spine roll that was purposely introduced.

I press for a living and have a hard time justifying what was done to this book.

Joey is cool with all the comments. Everyone is allowed to have and openly express their opinion.

It's not top secret.

Joey is cool with all the comments. Everyone is allowed to have and openly express their opinion.

:sick: I just read my reply and realise I sound like Cal.