• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insane press and flip Avengers 1.

491 posts in this topic

On the opposite end of the spectrum there will always be folks who respond to every topic with long diatribes, made up "facts", and outlandish explanations, all in the hope of appearing knowledgeable. They usually will take the "high road" when called out or asked to explain.

Oh, and I'll respond to this individually...

I'm not trying to appear like anything.

I'm simply relaying information on an internet chat forum that is related to the discussion at hand. Info that I've gleaned from others. If that disagrees with someone else, its not intentional to give me something to talk about and it's certainly not intended to show myself as appearing more knowledgeable.

Cheapest was always best when producing comics. The cutting before and after probably accounts some variations based which printer was used at that particular time. Below is a book that was apparently folded after being cut as the back half sticks out informally from the front from the centerfold on. (hard to see in the pic)

etc012_zpsc5cccf15.jpg

etc013_zps1ab63206.jpg

Possibly it's been answered in the almost double digit posts on this topic.

But, any clue how many books this guy did prior, that made it through CGC?

Has to be a few, to get the cahones to do a book of this value. Right?

At least hundreds, possibly thousands. (thumbs u

From watching an old 1940s newsreel, apparently some if not all magazines were stacked and put in a three sided guillotine after being folded and stapled, in order to trim off the uneven edges, although pulp magazines typically had rough edges to the guts and cover overhangs, so clearly this wasn't a universal proposition.

Different rates of paper shrinkage due to stock would help explain the small cover overhangs found on many older comics.

I have noticed that even new comics printed on slick stock still have a slight v at the reading edge.

Something else to consider. Comics and magazines tend to "plump up" at the spine as a reaction from the paper resisting the fold. Assuming they are pressed by a heavy weight when stacked for shearing, it would make sense as they revert back to their more curved spines, that the outer pages pull back from just a tiny bit further than those closer to the staples.

I know nothing about the mechanics of printing, binding, and trimming comics but this post makes a lot of sense to me.

After haphazardly reading this thread -- and the gargantuan related thread on CG -- I understand that he only submitted a few under his own name (25, I think it was), but is suspected of having submitted many, many more through dealers or alternate names or something.

I can also ask one: How do books that are not trimmed still have no "V" on the edge?

I have never seen a comic printed on pulp paper that does not have some sort of V at the edge that was not trimmed.

Apparently. How about you? Have you ever experienced this drying shrinkage, page fanning that Roy is talking about?

The only shrinkage I have seen is when a book has been water washed.

Clearly you and I should have been measuring the size of our books from the day we buy them and measure them again when we sell them. Any "shrinkage" should be noted on the label.

From someone that has been working on web presses for 15 years, 99% of you haven't a clue as to what you are looking at.

Why don't you explain it to people then?

At least hundreds, possibly thousands. (thumbs u

Thank-you kindly and also to Sqeggs -

Dabofa uz saved me a couple hours tonight!!