• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

Oh, and CGC if you are reading this.

Your PR-MarCom 2000 spin-miester robot-thingy is in need of repairs.

Their algorithm is hard-set to make customers blood boil instead of making them happy.

I would still like to find out why the books I submitted received

such low grades without having to pay an additional fee...but

that appears to be a dead issue.

mm

I would still like to find out why the books I submitted received

such low grades without having to pay an additional fee...but

that appears to be a dead issue.

mm

Your book was reviewed by a pre-grader (for page count) and 3 graders (one being the finalizer). They determined that your books had low grades and assigned the number and sent them onto slabbing.

There you go. Free of charge. ;)

Grader's notes should be free - its all part of the service you are already paying for.

Its always hard to charge people for something that was once free...they would be better off to provide the notes and then just raise the overall submission rates. Its all about perception!

I'm still not convinced they're selling the notes. THREE FULL DAYS and no notes.

There couldn't have been a bunch of requests before mine that they are working through. :facepalm:

So apparently you have to have a valid email on file to receive the notes. :screwy::shy::facepalm:

Fail on my part. :tonofbricks:

Once I got a corrected email to CGC...I received the notes.

The format was better than I expected. You get a nice cert/attachment with the details of the book and the notes. Not sure if it was the new format/offering, the book that was graded or the fact that the book was graded before the current waiting queue, but the notes seemed better than I've received for the few recent books I've called about.

I really like that the notes were on a nice cert/attachment that could be printed. Not knowing what to expect, I thought I might just get the notes in an email. I could see doing this for my higher end books, so that the document could be printed and slipped in with the slab. If I ever kept "personal" books for longer than a few months...I might see myself doing it for an entire registry set if the price point was better.

At the very least, I could see myself requesting them again for higher end books (shrug)

Grader's notes should be free - its all part of the service you are already paying for.

Its always hard to charge people for something that was once free...they would be better off to provide the notes and then just raise the overall submission rates. Its all about perception!

I'm still not convinced they're selling the notes. THREE FULL DAYS and no notes.

There couldn't have been a bunch of requests before mine that they are working through. :facepalm:

So apparently you have to have a valid email on file to receive the notes. :screwy::shy::facepalm:

The format was better than I expected. You get a nice cert/attachment with the details of the book and the notes. Not sure if it was the new format/offering, the book that was graded or the fact that the book was graded before the current waiting queue, but the notes seemed better than I've received for the few recent books I've called about.

I really like that the notes were on a nice cert/attachment that could be printed. Not knowing what to expect, I thought I might just get the notes in an email. I could see doing this for my higher end books, so that the document could be printed and slipped in with the slab. If I ever kept "personal" books for longer than a few months...I might see myself doing it for an entire registry set if the price point was better.

At the very least, I could see myself requesting them again for higher end books (shrug)

OK...so what did the notes say?

Were they "worth" the $15?

The notes detailed the three defects with the book. Covered the spine breaks, smudges to the back cover and a ncb on the bc that wouldn’t have been visible in a scan (abbreviated by me...notes were more detailed). Gave specifics to what they were and where they were. It was a higher end book, so there were not a lot of things wrong with the book. It’s what I would have wanted to know before dropping a couple k on the book, so yeah…to me it would have been worth the $15 if I were getting the notes for a purchase.

I ordered them this time to see what it was like, so the value obviously wasn’t there given my email fail. :(

May try it again on a lower grade book to see what the notes detail is like and to see what the turn around is really like.

Your book was reviewed by a pre-grader (for page count) and 3 graders (one being the finalizer). They determined that your books had low grades and assigned the number and sent them onto slabbing.

There you go. Free of charge. ;)

Graders notes:

(1) You did not get a 9.8.

(2) Please try again.

The notes detailed the three defects with the book. Covered the spine breaks, smudges to the back cover and a ncb on the bc that wouldn’t have been visible in a scan (abbreviated by me...notes were more detailed). Gave specifics to what they were and where they were. It was a higher end book, so there were not a lot of things wrong with the book. It’s what I would have wanted to know before dropping a couple k on the book, so yeah…to me it would have been worth the $15 if I were getting the notes for a purchase.

I ordered them this time to see what it was like, so the value obviously wasn’t there given my email fail. :(

May try it again on a lower grade book to see what the notes detail is like and to see what the turn around is really like.

Did they send the sub-grades (the grades each of the 3+ graders gave)?

Dan

Just received my email for graders notes.

I have obtained graders notes by phone on about 10 books in the past and found them to sparse to say the least. I stopped phoning.

So, for unrestored books, what will graders notes record? I personally do not like books with writing or stamps (outside and inside). Will this be noted?

I am interested in the near future in buying a Fantastic Four No. 1 at 7.0 maybe higher. I believe there is an FF1 out there at 7.5 or 8.0 that has writing or a stamp on the inside - I remember seeing a thread on the boards where the book was resubmitted to CGC to remove the writing/stamp from the label. If by chance I came across this book and asked for graders notes, would my $30 be well spent in that this information is recorded.

Alan

(Glasgap)

Dan

:popcorn:

Dan

Pretty sure they won't release those as they felt it undermined the grading service by making some books look better or worse than others.

Unless I missed it, I gather CGC has not responded at all to these complaints/feedback on this new policy. I notice the boardie who posted that he sent in questions for the the "Ask CGC" forum has not been posted or answered.

I find their lack of response to be very concerning and poor business practice. They should at least address the issue with their loyal customer base and provide some rationale for the change in practice.

I got an e-mail response to my request for all the notes on every book I submitted during the calendar year 2011. They said they wouldn't do it, but I could pay.

I haven't gotten a response to the e-mail asking that they not sell any notes pertaining to any of my submissions until I determined my legal rights to those notes.

Dan

Pretty sure they won't release those as they felt it undermined the grading service by making some books look better or worse than others.

Some books are better or worse than others within the same grade.

Dan