• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

I thought CGC was for the collector not the retail market.

mm

CGC was created to facilitate transactions between parties (dealers and collectors). Anything that does not help that relationship (facilitating sales) is hurting it.

I can tell you that I personally am already buying less books since instituting the grading fee structure. It only stands to reason that others are doing the same.

mm

CGC was created to facilitate transactions between parties (dealers and collectors). Anything that does not help that relationship (facilitating sales) is hurting it.

I can tell you that I personally am already buying less books since instituting the grading fee structure. It only stands to reason that others are doing the same.

Something that may not have been mentioned, but is worth considering: many resub candidates are already what I call "coin flips". On one day, its a 8.5, on another its a 9.0. Its hard enough to make that determination and figure out if a book stands a reasonable chance of getting a grade bump when the notes are free, and offer only limited input anyway.

But what if you're already $15 or $30 into a book just for the notes? At that point, you're almost obligated to try for the bump and resubmit it, in hopes of recuping your initial investment. Kind of like the guy who loses $50 at a hand of blackjack, but still has $50 left in his wallet to "try and make it back." Its the "all or nothing" mentality at work, and it can be dangerous.

I think CGC is banking on that mindset to fuel not only the grader's notes purchase but the subsequent Resubmission fees they'll get to collect as a result.

Since I'm not going to pay to find out why my books

got such low grades, I can only hope those that I submitted

just before I found out you have to pay for answers, will grade

a little better. I sent in a PHANTOM STRANGER #3...ARCHIE

#23...LAUGH COMICS #20...& FLASH COMICS #75 from my

GA collection. These could be the last graded for awhile.

mm

mm

Something that may not have been mentioned, but is worth considering: many resub candidates are already what I call "coin flips". On one day, its a 8.5, on another its a 9.0. Its hard enough to make that determination and figure out if a book stands a reasonable chance of getting a grade bump when the notes are free, and offer only limited input anyway.

But what if you're already $15 or $30 into a book just for the notes? At that point, you're almost obligated to try for the bump and resubmit it, in hopes of recuping your initial investment. Kind of like the guy who loses $50 at a hand of blackjack, but still has $50 left in his wallet to "try and make it back." Its the "all or nothing" mentality at work, and it can be dangerous.

I think CGC is banking on that mindset to fuel not only the grader's notes purchase but the subsequent Resubmission fees they'll get to collect as a result.

This is excellent logic, George.

You raise a very good point, I think Comiclink needs to start showing the Back Cover.
You can never make an informed decision until the backside is thoroughly investigated....., :cool:

gina.jpg

I stopped reading everything else after this post. WOWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

You raise a very good point, I think Comiclink needs to start showing the Back Cover.
You can never make an informed decision until the backside is thoroughly investigated....., :cool:

gina.jpg

I stopped reading everything else after this post. WOWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

oh my

I dont understand how anyone educated thinks that cgc charging for graders notes isn't absolutely rediculous. If I took an exam in college and got a grade and the professor told me my tuition and credit hour payments didn't cover an explanation of my grade. Furthermore, I only had access to the raw number unless I paid extra? Please.

I used to call for notes on books that got grades way out of line for compared to what I expected. And you know what... 90% of the time, the notes were terrible. Half of the time they didnt justify anything to explain the grade and often were no more than 1-2 3 word sentences. Sure every now and then I missed something significant, but more often than not, I just resubbed my own book and got what I thought I would get the first time around. Now, maybe I understand charging a party not involved with the initial grading, if they want the notes, but I firmly believe that the person paying to get his/her book graded should get the notes with the book. There is no reason these notes shouldn't be included either free of charge or if CGC is trying to milk this I could at least suck it up for a nominal (ie 1-2$) fee. I have no idea if the idea or thread has ever been started, but I really think CGC should tier the grades out even more and give several grades (right now we realistically get 2: overal grade and page quality). Why not break it down and give front cover/back cover/spine/interior page AND color quality!? Then an overall grade which sums that all up. Now I know why... if you remove the mystery, you cant charge for it. TOTAL BS.

I'm disgusted with the current CGC greed and I wish that everyone would unite and boycott the graders notes fee. As a community we have power to change this.

Unfortunately I fear that people like pickycollector would drive CGC into believing this is a great idea (sorry picky collector I have no idea who you are, but your OCD frightens me).

-Brian

PS if anyone thinks paying 30$ to get an email saying "several color breaking spine nicks and light finger prints" is worth it, send me your books first with the money and I'll send that email back to you in under 24 hours gauranteed.

END JUSTIFIED RANT

Unfortunately I fear that people like pickycollector would drive CGC into believing this is a great idea (sorry picky collector I have no idea who you are, but your OCD frightens me).
That is ridiculous. I have no idea where in my posts did you read or interpret that I believe that CGC charging $30 for notes is a great idea... :facepalm: it's rather the total opposite... please read again :makepoint:

The problem with all of these arguments is that, as the service provider, CGC can charge whatever they want for whatever service they wish to provide.

If they say it's $50 to give the book a number and a plastic case, that's what you get. No more, no less. If they decide they won't give out internal information free of charge, then that's how it will be.

This is what happens when you run a monopoly...you do what you want, when you want and how you want.

It's now down to the customer to decide how important the service is to them. They can't go elsewhere, so they either bow out or suck it up.

I suspect I know precisely what 99.9% of you are going to do. :/

The problem with all of these arguments is that, as the service provider, CGC can charge whatever they want for whatever service they wish to provide.

If they say it's $50 to give the book a number and a plastic case, that's what you get. No more, no less. If they decide they won't give out internal information free of charge, then that's how it will be.

This is what happens when you run a monopoly...you do what you want, when you want and how you want.

It's now down to the customer to decide how important the service is to them. They can't go elsewhere, so they either bow out or suck it up.

I suspect I know precisely what 99.9% of you are going to do. :/

And either way, CGC gets what it wants. More revenue and less calls.