• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

Or perhaps they are punishing certain dealers who keep pressing and resubbing? :whistle:

Just kidding

Oh, I understand how some people feel about it.

Nobody is perfect and I've been the first to say that on here regarding CGC (or myself).

I'll rarely resub books as I don't like to have inventory tied up unnecessarily but I will resub a book if I think they got it wrong. Generally I grade them and sell them.

In this case, the 9.6/9.4/9.4 grade split agreed with me that the book was possibly too nice to be "just" a 9.4 so I took a shot. It was a big enough book that it didn't make sense to sell the book in the "wrong" holder.

Had anyone held the book in hand, they'd agree that as a 9.4 it was almost "too nice".

I certainly get the game of trying to resub and see if you can get that higher grade...especially if your eyes are telling you that book should be higher. I don't blame you for trying. As a collector, I don't play this game with my own books. If the holder says 9.4 and I think it could be a 9.6....i'm not going to send it in for that potential upgrade.

Based on my limited time on these boards and collecting CGC comics, i've learned that on any given day grades between 9.2 and up can be interchangeable. Why that is I'm not sure but I have books that are in 9.2 holders and look like my 9.4s.

I am curious how dealers like yourself Roy can invest so much money in resubbing and if the grade doesn't turn out like you want...that's eating right into your bottom line. I guess if you get enough times where the grade goes up and you increase the asking price of the book you can recoup those costs but it sure seems risky.

Got my first and only notes (the only one I was interested in knowing at $5) until the price drops. Here is what it looks like (some info edited out):

CGCNOTES_copy.jpg

Wow, that is pretty pathetic for $5. I'd be ticked off if I paid $30

it kills me that newcomers to slabbing their books alway come here and cry foul and that CGC is crooked and incompetent. They have now graded a million books (?) in 12 years.... and THEY are the problem? or could it be overripe expectations on the part of those new to the system?

maybe this should be a poll.

it kills me that newcomers to slabbing their books alway come here and cry foul and that CGC is crooked and incompetent. They have now graded a million books (?) in 12 years.... and THEY are the problem? or could it be overripe expectations on the part of those new to the system?

No poll needed. CGC is the problem.

It makes ZERO sense that they would charge the person who subs the book to get the notes on the grades given.

The graders notes should be given as part of the grading cost to anyone who submits a comic for grading. Regardless of tier that should be part of the service.

Until they do that, they are asking for lots of complaints from new members (and old) who want to know why their comics are not what they expected.

It's so funny that a comment insults the "newbie" who sends in for grading and complains about his grades. Well the newbie sees two Hulk #1s on ebay right now both graded CGC 5.0. If anyone wants to take the time to do the search, tell me how consistant these grades are. One is a gorgeous undergraded 5 and the other one is lucky it was not graded a 3. Perfect example of why everyone should be skeptical and voice an opinion when they feel something is wrong.

And I will say this about grader notes. You pick a higher tier because maybe you do not want to wait 100 days to get your books back. Now because you picked a higher tier just to have a quicker turn around time, the grader notes cost more. Why should I have to pay $15 for notes anyway. Explain why $5 notes are different then $15 notes. Enlighten me.

Completely agree. 99.999999% of the time, a book that was 'under-graded' by CGC was simply over-graded by its owner.

And I will say this about grader notes. You pick a higher tier because maybe you do not want to wait 100 days to get your books back. Now because you picked a higher tier just to have a quicker turn around time, the grader notes cost more. Why should I have to pay $15 for notes anyway. Explain why $5 notes are different then $15 notes. Enlighten me.

Your point is 100% spot on.

CGC needs to get their collective heads out of their rear ends.

That's why I tested it on a $5 note selection. And I forgot to mention the turnaround was next morning (At first no notes for 36 hours and I was ready to complain but it was spam-blocked). If you try it out make sure you check the blocked emails.

The more I read this post the :censored: I get. Not only do we have to pay for notes on books we submitted, but as has been noted books can grade swing from 1 to 1.5 grades depending on day of the week, time of day, or grader by grader. Overstreet which has had a grading system for more then 30+ years has a very detail list of items to check for every book to help determine a grade. Looking at these notes I want to lol

Does anyone really think there is a detailed check list for the grader to use on each book? Or is it hmm count the pages, look for page color, check for tears, check for stress..... hmmm this looks like a :censored: that is their opinion. Seems that it all objective not subjective

If there are only 2 graders does that mean on Resto check and one grader?

Who the :censored: knows. Has anyone spoken to a real grader who left CGC?

Are they sworn to silence to never disclose the trade secrets?

I really don't care if they have graded 1M books....Seems like some times you get a prize in the box and some times you get screwed.

Seems like some times you get a prize in the box and some times you get screwed.

This would be an excellent sig line.

"Sometimes you eat the b'ar and sometimes... well, he eats you"

(From The Big Lebowski)

The more I read this post the :censored: I get. Not only do we have to pay for notes on books we submitted, but as has been noted books can grade swing from 1 to 1.5 grades depending on day of the week, time of day, or grader by grader. Overstreet which has had a grading system for more then 30+ years has a very detail list of items to check for every book to help determine a grade. Looking at these notes I want to lol

Does anyone really think there is a detailed check list for the grader to use on each book? Or is it hmm count the pages, look for page color, check for tears, check for stress..... hmmm this looks like a :censored: that is their opinion. Seems that it all objective not subjective

If there are only 2 graders does that mean on Resto check and one grader?

Who the :censored: knows. Has anyone spoken to a real grader who left CGC?

Are they sworn to silence to never disclose the trade secrets?

I really don't care if they have graded 1M books....Seems like some times you get a prize in the box and some times you get screwed.

Speaking for myself, living through the evolution of grading the past 40 years, I can tell you I don't go through any detailed checklists to determine grade - I look at the covers, the pages, centerfold and check for restro, all in my head. I try to note the big flaws which determine the grade in my sales threads, especially if the flaw is not real obvious from the scan.

Additionally, I've always collected in HG - the higher grade the book, the less notes. Also, since HG is where I've collected, I suck at grading the lower grades, and most likely undergrade down in those ranges, just to be sure the customer is satisfied.

Now that I think about it, grader's notes are probably useless in most cases, as the graders at CGC ought to be experienced fellows that can come to a grade quickly by a quick examination of the book, and only noting unobvious flaws....., just like everyone here probably does.

Seems like some times you get a prize in the box and some times you get screwed.

(From The Big Lebowski)

Hey Steve - do you grade in your head, or use extensive checklists? :lol:

No poll needed. CGC is the problem.

It makes ZERO sense that they would charge the person who subs the book to get the notes on the grades given.

The graders notes should be given as part of the grading cost to anyone who submits a comic for grading. Regardless of tier that should be part of the service.

Until they do that, they are asking for lots of complaints from new members (and old) who want to know why their comics are not what they expected.

you missed my point. Im not talking about graders notes or the cost of them etc etc.

but someone just starting to get books graded getting their wakeup call that CGC grades "differently" (is that NICE enough way to say it?). Furthermore, as a collector for a long time (meaning pre CGC) its quite clear to all but the "newbies" that CGC grades are (by and large) the only grades that matter now.

Anyone else can use their own grading criteria, but just try to get the rest of us to abide by it as we have accepted CGC grades.

So, the people to whom I was referring should learn to grade CGC way by experience in order to get the best results, or stay raw and grade their own books.

CGC is not perfect. But they are far from evil.

we just went thru this game with Peewee in Silver with his collection. He thought he got shafted (for some reason) cause his eyes told him his harder to fine late 50s DCs were higher graded that CGC thought. Then he went off to PGX because CGC shafted him.

sounds like another PGX customer in the makings in THIS thread.

(From The Big Lebowski)

Hey Steve - do you grade in your head, or use extensive checklists? :lol:

lol

I use something I call "slot" grading.

I look at a book pretty quickly, looking for defects on the front & back exterior and interior covers, centerfold, page quality, and then "slot" it into a range, like 6.0-7.0. I then go over the book once again to figure out exactly what I think the best possible grade in that "slot" would be agreed upon by most other collectors and pick my final grade. I can do this in about one minute if there is no restoration or a real funky defect on a book.

When I was at CGC entering notes or reading notes, it took me a lot longer.