• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

I think CGC are now dealing in two markets and have not morphed to deal with them. There's the modern market which collector wants 9.8 comics with little or no need for notes. Then there are the older comics which collectors want detailed notes as the defects clearly affect price.

If this is correct, then CGC should clearly differentiate there products. Is this too simplistic?

I look at it as CGC is dealing with a bazillion different markets. It's like in politics, everyone wants something different. Each collector has a different pet peeve when it comes to defects and is a different voter and they all feel they are entitled to something different.

Ultimately, a business (or a politician) just does the best they can to please their target market...and that is never going to be everyone.

I understand and CGC has set it manifesto. It has pissed people off, and that's, like you said, because they cannot satisfy all.

As for whether they should charge - its part of their service and they are not adding to their underlying product then no. If it was an enhancement to their current product then charge away. Moreover, by giving their notes, they would reduce time their graders spend answering questions and doing what they should be doing - grading. Or use the we revenue to employ more graders :shy:

Unfortunately, that will only make worse the major problem with CGC...their complete lack of consistancy. doh!

I think CGC are now dealing in two markets and have not morphed to deal with them. There's the modern market which collector wants 9.8 comics with little or no need for notes. Then there are the older comics which collectors want detailed notes as the defects clearly affect price.

If this is correct, then CGC should clearly differentiate there products. Is this too simplistic?

I look at it as CGC is dealing with a bazillion different markets. It's like in politics, everyone wants something different. Each collector has a different pet peeve when it comes to defects and is a different voter and they all feel they are entitled to something different.

Ultimately, a business (or a politician) just does the best they can to please their target market...and that is never going to be everyone.

I understand and CGC has set it manifesto. It has pissed people off, and that's, like you said, because they cannot satisfy all.

As for whether they should charge - its part of their service and they are not adding to their underlying product then no. If it was an enhancement to their current product then charge away. Moreover, by giving their notes, they would reduce time their graders spend answering questions and doing what they should be doing - grading. Or use the we revenue to employ more graders :shy:

Unfortunately, that will only make worse the major problem with CGC...their complete lack of consistancy. doh!

Then they should move their grading to the UK and employ...

Yes the Flaming_Telepath :acclaim:

Then they should move their grading to the UK and employ...

Yes the Flaming_Telepath :acclaim:

:facepalm:

Like The Greek hasn't got me doing enough already. :eek:

Got my Grades back...

FLASH COMICS #75.............6.5

PHANTOM STRANGER #3....5.5

ARCHIE COMICS #23...........5.5

LAUGH COMICS #20............4.0

Since I figure my books will come in between 5.0 and 7.0

I guess there is no reason to check out why they came in

at these Grades...but I still wonder why the last group came

in so low.

mm

Got my Grades back...

in so low.

mm

I think they are being very strict this year, since all of the talk last year of the soft grades.

I have four coming back myself, and one was a 7.5 instead of a 8.5 to 9.0 I was hoping for. I needed to know what I messed, so i paid for the notes last night, twice by the way. The first attempt resulted in an error screen, so I did it again later, and they charged me twice. I missed a corner crease at the bottom of the back cover, and it had more spine corner wear than I remember. So that was my fault.

Of the four I had, three made the grades I expected, except one of those has a trimmed top edge. I still can't tell sometimes what is trimmed. So I definitely don't know what micro-trimming is.

Got my Grades back...

in so low.

mm

I think they are being very strict this year, since all of the talk last year of the soft grades.

They're not. They're as loose as they ever were. I have a customer's 9.0 (we both agreed on that grade) coming back as a 9.4, because Mr Magoo was grader of the day. :facepalm:

Got my Grades back...

in so low.

mm

They're not. They're as loose as they ever were. I have a customer's 9.0 (we both agreed on that grade) coming back as a 9.4, because Mr Magoo was grader of the day. :facepalm:

banana082.gif :thumbsup: Cultivating customers for life!

Got my first and only notes (the only one I was interested in knowing at $5) until the price drops. Here is what it looks like (some info edited out):

CGCNOTES_copy.jpg

I got so screwed on some of my books that I cannot trust the whole system. So the next batch of 35 books at the $45 tier will not be sent in. Thats about $1,500 in revenue that they just gave up because I cannot feel confident in the abilities of the graders they utilize.

Got my Grades back...

in so low.

mm

I agree completely. I see recently graded books right here on the board receiving compliments on how great they look and I just sit at home on my computer and fume. :sumo: It's like labels are blinding everyone. :mad::ohnoez:

I also would like CGC to explain this one. My friend thought he got screwed on a grade. he called and complained and they said resubmit it. It went from an 8.0 to a 8.5. Here is my question. If THREE graders look at every book then how can a book get a bump the next time around? Would you then not be admitting that at times your graders are incompetent? Lets get real here, it's not one graders opinion but three so how can a book get a bump the next time??? I think the graders of the second time around should have to pay $100 for the grader notes of the first crew!

Got my Grades back...

in so low.

mm

I agree completely. I see recently graded books right here on the board receiving compliments on how great they look and I just sit at home on my computer and fume. :sumo: It's like labels are blinding everyone. :mad::ohnoez:

Really?

I subbed a book 3 times thinking it should be a 9.6, or at least had a strong shot.

I called for the grader's notes the first time and the graders were 9.6/9.4/9.4 (this was still when you could get the 3 separate grades last year) so I resubbed the book.

Came back a 9.4 (bit separate grades were not available anymore, only grading notes). Book had a pressable wave in it that was not mentioned the first time around...may have been in there, just overlooked as it seemed very slight.

Had the book pressed, resubbed the book a 3rd time and now it's sitting in a 9.2 holder.

That's just one book. I've had several where I am left scratching my head.

I've subbed about 200 books this year.

My latest experience is that they have been tight and getting tighter although maybe it varies with tiers or certain grade ranges.

(shrug)

Or perhaps they are punishing certain dealers who keep pressing and resubbing? :whistle:

Just kidding

:wishluck:

I also would like CGC to explain this one. My friend thought he got screwed on a grade. he called and complained and they said resubmit it. It went from an 8.0 to a 8.5. Here is my question. If THREE graders look at every book then how can a book get a bump the next time around? Would you then not be admitting that at times your graders are incompetent? Lets get real here, it's not one graders opinion but three so how can a book get a bump the next time??? I think the graders of the second time around should have to pay $100 for the grader notes of the first crew!

I believe now there are only 2 graders looking at the books.