• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

I guess I'll never find out why my three (3) books all graded so low.

mm

If I thought that they were really poorly graded, I'd send them to a dealer at one of the events where CGC does onsite grading. It's random luck whether they would change in grade, but it's an idea.

mm

Dude, I want to say this as nicely as possible: put up or shut up. Either put up the money for graders' notes/re-sub the books or forget about it. You seem like a nice guy, but you've been complaining about this for months now like a broken record. Please make a choice to end it one way or another.

Thank you.

mm

Dude, I want to say this as nicely as possible: put up or shut up. Either put up the money for graders' notes or forget about it (or re-sub the books). You seem like a nice guy, but you've been complaining about this for months now like a broken record. Please make a choice to end it one way or another.

Thank you.

Or you can go back to lurking.

mm

Dude, I want to say this as nicely as possible: put up or shut up. Either put up the money for graders' notes/re-sub the books or forget about it. You seem like a nice guy, but you've been complaining about this for months now like a broken record. Please make a choice to end it one way or another.

Thank you.

Man has a point. :golfclap:

mm

Thank you.

Man has a point. :golfclap:

On his head - 3 posts chock full o wisdom.

So, I'm sure this was brought up earlier in this thread, but I'll see if we had any kind of answer.

Grader's notes: Who owns the rights to them?

I'm sure many folks will say that CGC does, and some will believe that the owner of the book does.

What if someone pays CGC's price for the notes to their books? What is that person now allowed to do with them? I'm sure he can include them with the book when he decides to sell it, but can he charge money for those notes to the next-in-line customer?

What if someone were to create a website for CGC graders notes? Once someone pays for their notes, they could submit them, along with the serial number and allow them to be entered into a database for comic collectors world-wide. Could the owner of that database charge a fee for access? What could be done to prevent manipulation of the graders notes? ie: someone leaves out some important parts of the notes, as they want their book to appear nicer than it is, or someone decides to submit notes for someone else's book, showing it's worse than it really is.

Maybe these questions have been posted in this thread already, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see what you all thought.

Now....discuss, please. (thumbs u

Andy

Grader's notes: Who owns the rights to them?

I'm sure many folks will say that CGC does, and some will believe that the owner of the book does.

Yea, was discussed to death, but no absolute resolution. Nobody owns exclusive rights to them as far as I can tell, so your proposed web site would be fine. They're not unique enough for copyright law to apply to make them CGC's--that I'm convinced of--but nobody with a knowledge of property law piped in to establish that the owner has rights to them. I'm not 100% convinced property law doesn't cover it somehow, although I generally doubt that it does, not sure why it would.

You could have just typed, "I don't know."

Going by THAT restrictive a standard, 98% of thread posts should also say the same thing. :eyeroll: Information doesn't need to be absolute to still be useful--we do the best that we can.

:makepoint:

CGC Grader Notes Disclaimer

©2012 Certified Guaranty Company, LLC All rights reserved.

The customer may view, copy, print out, and use the content herein solely for your personal use, provided that the content is used for informational and noncommercial purposes only. The use of any such content for commercial purposes is expressly forbidden. Reasonable efforts are made to ensure the accuracy and integrity of information and related materials provided by CGC but CGC is not responsible for misprints, out of date information, technical inaccuracies, typographical or other errors appearing herein. These notes and all information and related materials they contain are provided “as is.” CGC makes no claims or warranty whatsoever regarding the completeness, accuracy, currency, or adequacy of, the information and materials it contains. See CGC’s Limited Guarantee for specific terms and conditions.

The customer may view, copy, print out, and use the content herein solely for your personal use, provided that the content is used for informational and noncommercial purposes only. The use of any such content for commercial purposes is expressly forbidden. Reasonable efforts are made to ensure the accuracy and integrity of information and related materials provided by CGC but CGC is not responsible for misprints, out of date information, technical inaccuracies, typographical or other errors appearing herein. These notes and all information and related materials they contain are provided “as is.” CGC makes no claims or warranty whatsoever regarding the completeness, accuracy, currency, or adequacy of, the information and materials it contains. See CGC’s Limited Guarantee for specific terms and conditions.

As the numerical grade is often referred to as the technical grade, the underlined part made me chuckle a bit.

Thanks for that, Doc. I remember Transplant posting this, but didn't recall the fine details. (thumbs u

The website sounds like commercial use to me. That would be an AVOID from where I'm sitting.

So, it should be alright to create the website, and allow free access to any interested parties.

I imagine that it would be ultimately useless in the beginning, as there wouldn't be many people submitting their numbers/notes, but there's a potential to catch on.

There's also the potential for note manipulation, as I mentioned earlier.

hm Maybe this is just a waste of energy....

The website sounds like commercial use to me. That would be an AVOID from where I'm sitting.

To the best of my understanding, CGC's clause is unenforceable because the notes are too generic and non-unique expressions, they are essentially data and copyright law does not protect data. We discussed that earlier in this thread, but mostly in passing--we've discussed it in other threads in much more depth. Here is the Supreme Court case that established you can't copyright data:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feist_v._Rural

In this case one telephone company sued another telephone company for copying their customer's phone numbers directly from their own telephone book and putting it in a competing phone book...they could tell they did it because they were intentionally putting fake names and numbers in their book and found those fakes in their competitor's phone book. Note the very first line of the Wikipedia article says the case established that "information alone without a minimum of original creativity cannot be protected by copyright." I can't see anything about CGC's notes that doesn't fall within that definition of data--someone correct me if I'm overlooking something. (shrug)

To the best of my understanding, CGC's clause is unenforceable because the notes are too generic and non-unique expressions, they are essentially data and copyright law does not protect data. We discussed that earlier in this thread, but mostly in passing--we've discussed it in other threads in much more depth. Here is the Supreme Court case that established you can't copyright data:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feist_v._Rural

In this case one telephone company sued another telephone company for copying their customer's phone numbers directly from their own telephone book and putting it in a competing phone book...they could tell they did it because they were intentionally putting fake names and numbers in their book and found those fakes in their competitor's phone book. Note the very first line of the Wikipedia article says the case established that "information alone without a minimum of original creativity cannot be protected by copyright." I can't see anything about CGC's notes that doesn't fall within that definition of data--someone correct me if I'm overlooking something. (shrug)

Oh, and this is about the third or fourth time I've discussed this topic here, but every time I've talked about it I've wondered and never known--has Canada or the UK established similar law about whether or not you can copyright data? I have no idea, I live in the US and obviously this Supreme Court decision only applies here. In the case of the grader's notes, it obviously would apply since CGC is an American company, but I don't know if you Brits and Canucks are as free to plunder non-original information as we are here--if anyone knows, I'd love to hear how it works in your countries.