• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel 1

29 posts in this topic

Vern if you could get it at a very good price maybe but if it hasn't been leaf casted then I would pass. Impossible to tell from a scan but that cover looks more fake than original? I would hold out and wait for an unrestored low grade copy or one with less resto. I'm sure if you told the boys at Metro what you were looking for they would shake the bushes and find a copy for you. HBD!

Impossible to tell from a scan but that cover looks more fake than original?
I'm not sure how you arrived at that, but I disagree. From the scan it all looks correct, and in fact it looks very nice.

FWIW, I think it may go for a fairly strong price as there hasn't been a mid grade affordable copy available in such a long time.

Pluses are that the OCT is showing through and the colour registration is better than most.

(thumbs u

I'm not sure how you arrived at that, but I disagree. From the scan it all looks correct, and in fact it looks very nice.

FWIW, I think it may go for a fairly strong price as there hasn't been a mid grade affordable copy available in such a long time.

It looks great. Whomever did the work did a great job but the last mid grade ext resto copy I saw had a ton of work done to it. This could be a different story of course? My leaf casting comment was just a personal preference because if there was extensive damage to the pages and it was fixed using older restoration methods then Vern might be disappointed if he ever took the book out of the slab.

It looks great. Whomever did the work did a great job but the last mid grade ext resto copy I saw had a ton of work done to it. This could be a different story of course? My leaf casting comment was just a personal preference because if there was extensive damage to the pages and it was fixed using older restoration methods then Vern might be disappointed if he ever took the book out of the slab.

"Interior lightened" always makes me nervous.

I would reserve the designation Frankenbook for a book that has a married cover, married centerfold, or matrimony of some kind. :D

Hi Richard, any guess on a strong price?

25-30K would not surprise me.

My leaf casting comment was just a personal preference because if there was extensive damage to the pages and it was fixed using older restoration methods then Vern might be disappointed if he ever took the book out of the slab.

I tend to agree with this. Leaf casting is an amazing process with very natural looking results. But there are some who did tremendous work with the conventional restoration methods; Susan Cicconi and Bill Sarill in particular. It really comes down to who did the work rather than the materials used.

Looks like the spine from the top to about three thirds down has been replaced or filled in, more on the front that on the back. If you look at the lettering at the back at the bottom you can see where it has been filled in [darker than the rest of the lettering and looks slightly off]. Also, on the right edge of the cover there looks like a crease about an inch in that runs down most of the page. Could be nothing or it could be filler?

With ext resto married pages/cover always makes me nervous.

Not a Frankenstein book, however, personally I'd never buy a book that has had the interior lightened. That type of restoration rapidly advances the aging process due to the chemicals used to strip off the old bonding agents. It only temporarily masks the underlying problem.

Not a Frankenstein book, however, personally I'd never buy a book that has had the interior lightened. That type of restoration rapidly advances the aging process due to the chemicals used to strip off the old bonding agents. It only temporarily masks the underlying problem.

Is there a way to counteract the process and fix it?

Is there a way to counteract the process and fix it?

To my knowledge it is not reversible.

Couldn't someone reverse "lightened pages" by simply darkening them?