• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

Weekend Report: Franchise Fatigue Weighs Down 'Amazing Spider-man 2'

"The Spider-Man character clearly remains very popular—if that weren't the case, it couldn't have possibly reached $90 million. It's abundantly clear, though, that this franchise has to some extent worn out its welcome with moviegoers."

"To justify its existence so soon after the Raimi series, the 2012 reboot needed to be great; unfortunately, reactions were generally mixed. It was also the lowest-grossing entry yet at the domestic box office with $262 million (down 22 percent from the last entry). "

"The long-term prospects for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 at the domestic box office aren't great. The movie received a so-so "B+" CinemaScore, which suggests word-of-mouth will be only a bit better than the reviews. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will likely fall off quickly in the coming weeks, and is essentially guaranteed to be the lowest-grossing entry yet in the franchise. Based on the pattern of other May openers, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 should finish with around $230 million."

I don't know what my point is....

That you're not longer 8 years old, and your mind is demanding entertainment befitting an adult.

That is why I get frustrated with you over 40 year olds who want an adult movie from a movie that is supposed to be Twilight in nature. doh!

The beginning era of Spider-man is for kids not adults.

What do you expect from the early issues of Spider-man that were made for middle school and HS students? (Whether it was Amazing or Ultimate)

It is actually possible, for a form of entertainment that is specifically geared to the youth demographic, to actually be enjoyable for ALL AGES.

The Incredibles

Now, it requires effort and talent, to pull it off, but to just write off people's opinion's because the movie "Isn't made for them", is just lazy. :news: Sony doesn't just want the twilight money, they want ALL the money. They didn't just try to make a movie for "the youth demographic". You don't make Avatar money doing that. They tried, and failed, to make a movie that appeals to all ages. If you don't believe that, you are dead wrong.

Fact is, a property like Spider-man, should be treated with the kind reverence from the movie studios, that would ensure at the very least, a film that can be enjoyed by all ages. We are talking about a property, that SHOULD be able to break box office records. Marvel Comic's most licensed and most recognizable character for gods sake!

Instead, it is a passible summer popcorn flick, which will underperform at the box-office.

What a damn a shame.

I can never relate anymore to HS relationships in films, so for me it is very cut and dry. Spider-man can NEVER apply to all ages in my eyes. Twilight only.

I still think Sony did just fine with this movie to make a bunch of free money.

I'm sorry that you don't have higher standards for the character I assume you love. Perhaps you aren't that big a fan, I don't know.

I can assure you, NO big wigs at Sony, are happy about that underperforming opening weekend.

Garfield set to me the highest possible standard for the character that Tobey never achieved.

I agree completely, best on screen Spiderman yet.

Considering we haven't seen any of the real big villains yet to me makes these movies quite interesting actually.

"Real big villains"? Like half of the Sinister Six? :eyeroll:

I never said this was the best comic movie of all time, but I enjoyed it enough not to think it was horrible.

I also enjoyed it enough, to "not think it was horrible". That's quite a high bar you've set.

The fact is this movie showed the most amazing Spider-man fight and swinging scenes to date, yes?

The video game graphics were fine. Story and acting are the issues.

C-Level villains on film were just that, what did you expect?

A villain portrayal that was not embarrassingly bad. Maybe one was more than just a bad cliche'. (shrug)

I am sorry your expectations are set too high. (shrug)

One man's mediocrity is another man's excellence. Enjoy (thumbs u

I think the Sony executives bonus check will be just fine from this movie. Sucks they can't get two extra cars instead of three.

Since you know they aren't happy with the opening weekend receipts, may as well change the topic. Yep, they sure are rich.

Anyone see the post-credit deleted scene images? I wonder if they left it out so as not to scare the kids.

Heads in jars still alive tend to do that to a kid.

:eek:

Garfield set to me the highest possible standard for the character that Tobey never achieved.

Considering we haven't seen any of the real big villains yet to me makes these movies quite interesting actually.

I never said this was the best comic movie of all time, but I enjoyed it enough not to think it was horrible.

I also enjoyed it enough, to "not think it was horrible". That's quite a high bar you've set.

The fact is this movie showed the most amazing Spider-man fight and swinging scenes to date, yes?

A villain portrayal that was not embarrassingly bad. Maybe one was more than just a bad cliche'. (shrug)

I think the Sony executives bonus check will be just fine from this movie. Sucks they can't get two extra cars instead of three.

Since you know they aren't happy with the opening weekend receipts, may as well change the topic. Yep, they sure are rich.

Spider-man only has a couple A-list villains, so I wouldn't consider most of the Sinister 6 to be a big deal until they are in fact together as a group.

Don't get me wrong I consider Raimi's Spider-man #2 the best Spider-man film of all time by far, but I am still really enjoying Webb's take as well. I am sure they will hear the criticism and try to rectify going forward.

To me Rhino and Electro were just in the film so there would be some action sequences, but the overall plot of this movie was Gwen and Harry which I thought they did very well with.

Now if they mess up Venom yet again then you will hear me rant.

Anyone see the post-credit deleted scene images? I wonder if they left it out so as not to scare the kids.

I only stayed for the stupid X-men scene.

What is this?

Quick fun question:

Who do you think the real identity is of Gustav Fiers aka "Man in the Shadows",

at the end of each of ASM 1 and ASM 2?

I think it is Norman Osborn not dead.

I have a friend who thought he was originally the Kingpin

I am now retracting my answer and now thinking with his age and look he must be the Vulture.

I only stayed for the stupid X-men scene.

What is this?

Amazing Spider-Man 2 After The Credits Deleted Scene Revealed

Marvel Zombies. :banana:

Spider-man only has a couple A-list villains, so I wouldn't consider most of the Sinister 6 to be a big deal until they are in fact together as a group.

I thought Spidey's rogue's gallery is generally held in esteem as one of the best. I would be interested to see if others feel the same as you.

I would say of the villains featured so far, only Rhino is B-List. Even still his 5 minutes of total screen time was actually some of the film's best.

Don't get me wrong I consider Raimi's Spider-man #2 the best Spider-man film of all time by far, but I am still really enjoying Webb's take as well. I am sure they will hear the criticism and try to rectify going forward.

I think Webb is really good at the relationship stuff. The best of the film is the Peter/Gwen

I have nothing against Webb. 500 Days of Summer is really good. I don't think he has the clout, quite yet, to stand up to the powers that be at Sony, and really bring his story to the screen.

To me Rhino and Electro were just in the film so there would be some action sequences, but the overall plot of this movie was Gwen and Harry which I thought they did very well with.

Gwen and Peter were handled very well. I don't think they handled the Goblin character well at all...and Harry did not have a realistic character arc, at all. Especially considering his whole 40mins he was on screen.

Of course they will :)

Edited by EvenInHisYouth

Quick fun question:

Who do you think the real identity is of Gustav Fiers aka "Man in the Shadows",

at the end of each of ASM 1 and ASM 2?

I think it is Norman Osborn not dead.

I have a friend who thought he was originally the Kingpin

I am now retracting my answer and now thinking with his age and look he must be the Vulture.

Gustav Fiers

I thought Spidey's rogue's gallery is generally held in esteem as one of the best. I would be interested to see if others feel the same as you.

I would say of the villains featured so far, only Rhino is B-List. Even still his 5 minutes of total screen time was actually some of the film's best.

I think Webb is really good at the relationship stuff. The best of the film is the Peter/Gwen

I have nothing against Webb. 500 Days of Summer is really good. I don't think he has the clout, quite yet, to stand up to the powers that be at Sony, and really bring his story to the screen.

Gwen and Peter were handled very well. I don't think they handled the Goblin character well at all...and Harry did not have a realistic character arc, at all. Especially considering his whole 40mins he was on screen.

Spider-man and Batman have the best rogue gallery which I assume everyone agrees on. (X-men would be 3rd place). So for your question I am saying that most superheroes have 1 or 2 A-list followed by a bunch of jobbers, so being a B or C-list is still fairly good behind Spiderman's premiere villains.

Spider-man IMO category list:

Green Goblin (A-List)

Doc Ock (A-List)

Venom (A-List)

Scorpion (B-List)-IMO the Villain who should have been on film well before Electro

Rhino (B-List)

Carnage (B-List)

Kraven (B-List)-who I really want to see on screen

Hobgoblin (B-List)

Sandman (B-List)

Spider Slayers (B-List)

The Chameleon (B-List)

Vulture (C-List)

Mysterio (C-List)-cool visual on screen I would like to see

Electro (C-List)

Lizard (C-List)

Molten Man (C-List)

Shocker (C-List)

Hammerhead (C-List)

The Jackal (C-List)

Tarantula (C-List)

The rest are jobbers.....

***Kingpin I really associate now with Daredevil***

So sure I agree Spider-man has one of the best Rogue Galleries so like I said I find it interesting to me that I enjoy these two movies so far with C-list villains at the helm. However seeing one of Spider-man's all time supporting cast of friends new on the screen with Gwen helped.

Spider-man and Batman have the best rogue gallery which I assume everyone agrees on. (X-men would be 3rd place). So for your question I am saying that most superheroes have 1 or 2 A-list followed by a bunch of jobbers, so being a B or C-list is still fairly good behind Spiderman's premiere villains.

Green Goblin (A-List)

Doc Ock (A-List)

Venom (A-List)

Scorpion (B-List)-IMO the Villain who should have been on film well before Electro

Rhino (B-List)

Carnage (B-List)

Hobgoblin (B-List)

Sandman (B-List)

Spider Slayers (B-List)

The Chameleon (B-List)

Vulture (C-List)

Electro (C-List)

Lizard (C-List)

Molten Man (C-List)

Shocker (C-List)

Hammerhead (C-List)

The Jackal (C-List)

Tarantula (C-List)

So sure I agree Spider-man has one of the best Rogue Galleries so like I said I find it interesting to me that I enjoy these two movies so far with C-list villains at the helm. However seeing one of Spider-man's all time supporting cast of friends new on the screen with Gwen helped.

Well, you just saw what they could do with Green Goblin.

One down, two to go.

Anyway, I think marvel studios has proved, that you don't need to use an A-List villain to have a good story/movie.

Green Goblin (A-List)

Doc Ock (A-List)

Venom (A-List)

Rhino (B-List)

Carnage (B-List)

Hobgoblin (B-List)

Sandman (B-List)

Spider Slayers (B-List)

The Chameleon (B-List)

Vulture (C-List)

Electro (C-List)

Lizard (C-List)

Molten Man (C-List)

Shocker (C-List)

Hammerhead (C-List)

The Jackal (C-List)

Tarantula (C-List)

Well, you just saw what they could do with Green Goblin.

One down, two to go.

Anyway, I think marvel studios has proved, that you don't need to use an A-List villain to have a good story/movie.

Green Goblin with be in the next film. Did you see the deleted end credits scene. :fear: So far I would say Green Goblin really hasn't been in the film with Norman (add Harry as GG II to the B-list)

Like I said I though ASM 1 and 2 were god movies, and Marvel Studios pretty much have used A-list villains no? Maybe except for IM, but they have RDj.

B-list and C-list in the COMICS.

For movies, a very average looking comic book villain done right could be great.

I thought they did Lizard the best they could. (shrug)

For movies, a very average looking comic book villain done right could be great.

Not even close. The non-Spider-man special effects in that movie were horrible.

I actually liked the Lizard.... and own a much loved copy of the movie..... but as one of my all time favorite Spidey villains, it would be hard to disappoint me. The second movie we watched last night. It had a lot going but I enjoyed it a lot. It was a bit long for Aishaa ( 9 year old) .... but it was her first 3-D movie and she was VERY impressed. I'm OK with the modernizing of the franchise as there's still enough of the basics in it to still make it click for me. The lack of JJJ and the Bugle are the one glaring hole for me. An 8 out of 10 for me. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I actually liked the Lizard.... and own a much loved copy of the movie..... but as one of my all time favorite Spidey villains, it would be hard to disappoint me. The second movie we watched last night. It had a lot going but I enjoyed it a lot. It was a bit long for Aishaa ( 9 year old) .... but it was her first 3-D movie and she was VERY impressed. I'm OK with the modernizing of the franchise as there's still enough of the basics in it to still make it click for me. The lack of JJJ and the Bugle are the one glaring hole for me. An 8 out of 10 for me. GOD BLESS....

I kinda figure J.K. Simmons' JJJ was a tough act to follow, so they didn't.

I kinda figure J.K. Simmons' JJJ was a tough act to follow, so they didn't.

That is what a bunch of us assumed as well.

Kinda funny how they added the essence of him in during ASM 2 though.

That email reply was funny in the movie.

Not even close. The non-Spider-man special effects in that movie were horrible.

I think ASM 1 special effects blew away the Hobbit movies so far. :baiting: