• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

Ok, that movie stank.

Just sat through 2.5 hours of and cheesy -script.

There were a few good action sequences but I wouldn't have gone to see it if I knew it was going to be like this.

The Rhino blew chunks. Electro blew chunks (Batman Bale voice anyone?) and the Goblin blew chunks.

Sorry guys, I'd love to love it but this movie was written with 17 year olds in mind.

6/10 (5.0/5.5 if unpressed)

You say the movie stank, but gave it a 6?

A 6 is passing in my book.

It was an entertaining movie, and I am sure once people see it either a second time or watch it on TV they will come back ,and say jeez it wasn`t that bad or as bad as they say it was.

I now look forward to your X-Men: Days of Future Past review, as I would be interested to see if you think that will be a better movie then ASM 2.

Why? Because your point of reference I bet is much higher for X-Men because your a much bigger X-Men fan than a Spider-Man fan from what I gather.

I want to see if this point of reference idea process has something to do with liking a superhero movie or not. hm

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

As selfish as this sounds -

I personally like the new Spidey franchise, but I do not disagree that it shouldn't exist in its current state. I would LOVE for Sony to screw it up at this point.

Why?

Because it makes it that much more likely that Sony will let the rights expire and revert back to Marvel. ;)

There will be peace in the middle east and a fictional event know as Revelations will also happen before Sony ever gives up Spider-man back to Marvel.

One thing I think will come from all this if ASM 2 doesn`t get the desired box office results is there will be a change in Spider-Man`s costume.

I know a sacrilege thought. :o

Spider-Man`s costume just like Superman`s and Batman`s doesn't work in live action movies that well. They look great in the comic books and animation series, but for some reason they don`t seem to fit in after seeing Iron Man fly around in armor.

I think they definitely will change Spider-Man`s costume for the next movie somewhat.

Here was a rejected costume that Marc Webb wanted compared to the one they used for ASM 2. I like it myself. It seems more realistic for live action movies.

Any thoughts about they will change Spider-Man`s costume for ASM 3 somewhat?

spidey-costumes.jpg

Amazing-Spider-Man-alternate-costume

I cannot come up with a reason why the costume on the left is more "realistic". care to explain?

there's your answer. story sucks, box office blows, change the costume. doh!

Movie was very good my friend, but we change the costume if the box office is weaker because

Spider-Man just like Superman has become stale to certain parts of the movie going audience. :o

I will give you an example

I saw Man of Steel last year with my wife, and raved about it. I asked my 22 year old nephew and his wife if they were going to see it. The answer they replied was no. They would catch Man of Steel on Red Box, as they figured you seen one Superman story you seen them all.

Lets jump now to about a week ago. I ask my 23 year old nephew and his wife if they want to go see ASM 2 with me and my wife. Again a decline.

He said to be honest Spider-Man is not that exciting to him anymore, as he has moved onto The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones kind of stuff.

I think that is what is happening. A certain fan base has become bored with Superman, and Spider-Man and have moved onto more contemporary characters.

Another future example will be Tarzan. I will go see it, but do you think many other people will be excited to go see it? Probably not because the perception of Tarzan is he is old and boring, and that perception is now what might be what is happening to Spider-Man with the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones kind of crowd.

That`s why I could see a new look for Spider-Man would happen so they can get the Walking Dead kind of audience more interested.

IMHO

i saw enough terrible trailers as Sony got increasingly desperate and read enough reviews to know i wouldn't waste my time seeing it if someone paid me to see it.

Same here. Nothing to do with the costume. The trailers failed to excite, the turnout was ok, the word of mouth stinks.

That's why Sony threw as much into that ad campaign as they could - they HAD to get the best opening possible because they knew they had a turd, and it's competition is going to clobber it in another week.

If we go by that train of thought then Expendables 3 will be a great movie and blockbuster.

When I saw ASM 2 last week they showed about 6 trailers with Expendables 3 getting the biggest buzz and crowd reactions. YES a bigger buzz then X-Men.

So it looks like Expendables 3 will be huge and great because of the trailers! :headbang: I love the Expendables series.

Trailer for X Men Days of Future Past before The Amazing Spider Man 2 was beter than the whole Spidey movie. ps I'm a Spider Man comicbook fan not an X Men comic book fan Still mad at how bad it was. I give it a 3/10

Ok, that movie stank.

There were a few good action sequences but I wouldn't have gone to see it if I knew it was going to be like this.

The Rhino blew chunks. Electro blew chunks (Batman Bale voice anyone?) and the Goblin blew chunks.

Sorry guys, I'd love to love it but this movie was written with 17 year olds in mind.

It was an entertaining movie, and I am sure once people see it either a second time or watch it on TV they will come back ,and say jeez it wasn`t that bad or as bad as they say it was.

I now look forward to your X-Men: Days of Future Past review, as I would be interested to see if you think that will be a better movie then ASM 2.

Why? Because your point of reference I bet is much higher for X-Men because your a much bigger X-Men fan than a Spider-Man fan from what I gather.

I want to see if this point of reference idea process has something to do with liking a superhero movie or not. hm

A 6 is barely a pass and the only thing it had going for it was some of the web slinging, and of course Gwen.

I was an X-men fan but my point of reference is not my like or dislike of the characters. I hardly knew any of the characters in First Class but thought it was a terrific comic movie.

Spidey 2 was campy. Whenever I was watching Max Dillon I thougt I was watching a 1990's Batman movie. :sick:

The story was not great (too many moving parts but not particularly well done), some of the special effects were cheesy (I thought Electro looked poor and there were a few instances where Spidey looked like a video game) and the science in the movie was cheesy.

Overall, this move will do great for the younger demographic / teenage market but IMO that's about it. I might watch it again just to see if my opinion holds up but I have little desire to see it again. I'd put it a shade above Ghost Rider, which I have never seen. lol

As selfish as this sounds -

I personally like the new Spidey franchise, but I do not disagree that it shouldn't exist in its current state. I would LOVE for Sony to screw it up at this point.

Why?

Because it makes it that much more likely that Sony will let the rights expire and revert back to Marvel. ;)

There will be peace in the middle east and a fictional event know as Revelations will also happen before Sony ever gives up Spider-man back to Marvel.

One thing I think will come from all this if ASM 2 doesn`t get the desired box office results is there will be a change in Spider-Man`s costume.

I know a sacrilege thought. :o

Spider-Man`s costume just like Superman`s and Batman`s doesn't work in live action movies that well. They look great in the comic books and animation series, but for some reason they don`t seem to fit in after seeing Iron Man fly around in armor.

I think they definitely will change Spider-Man`s costume for the next movie somewhat.

Here was a rejected costume that Marc Webb wanted compared to the one they used for ASM 2. I like it myself. It seems more realistic for live action movies.

Any thoughts about they will change Spider-Man`s costume for ASM 3 somewhat?

spidey-costumes.jpg

Amazing-Spider-Man-alternate-costume

I cannot come up with a reason why the costume on the left is more "realistic". care to explain?

there's your answer. story sucks, box office blows, change the costume. doh!

Movie was very good my friend, but we change the costume if the box office is weaker because

Spider-Man just like Superman has become stale to certain parts of the movie going audience. :o

I will give you an example

I saw Man of Steel last year with my wife, and raved about it. I asked my 22 year old nephew and his wife if they were going to see it. The answer they replied was no. They would catch Man of Steel on Red Box, as they figured you seen one Superman story you seen them all.

Lets jump now to about a week ago. I ask my 23 year old nephew and his wife if they want to go see ASM 2 with me and my wife. Again a decline.

He said to be honest Spider-Man is not that exciting to him anymore, as he has moved onto The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones kind of stuff.

I think that is what is happening. A certain fan base has become bored with Superman, and Spider-Man and have moved onto more contemporary characters.

Another future example will be Tarzan. I will go see it, but do you think many other people will be excited to go see it? Probably not because the perception of Tarzan is he is old and boring, and that perception is now what might be what is happening to Spider-Man with the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones kind of crowd.

That`s why I could see a new look for Spider-Man would happen so they can get the Walking Dead kind of audience more interested.

IMHO

i saw enough terrible trailers as Sony got increasingly desperate and read enough reviews to know i wouldn't waste my time seeing it if someone paid me to see it.

Same here. Nothing to do with the costume. The trailers failed to excite, the turnout was ok, the word of mouth stinks.

That's why Sony threw as much into that ad campaign as they could - they HAD to get the best opening possible because they knew they had a turd, and it's competition is going to clobber it in another week.

If we go by that train of thought then Expendables 3 will be a great movie and blockbuster.

When I saw ASM 2 last week they showed about 6 trailers with Expendables 3 getting the biggest buzz and crowd reactions. YES a bigger buzz then X-Men.

So it looks like Expendables 3 will be huge and great because of the trailers! :headbang: I love the Expendables series.

Uh.... put down the Mountain Dew dude.

Try and follow along:

Sony knew they had a turd before it was released in theaters.

They knew the critics were going to tear it up, word of mouth would be mediocre at best, and then two heavy hitters would knock them out in the third and fourth week.

So they had to score big in week one and hope for the best in week two.

They had to hit those foreign markets fast, before the bootleg copies did them damage. (A GOOD movie being bootlegged can actually HELP box office, as people want to then see it in the theater. That's not a recommendation for the bootleg industry, just fact.)

They ramped up the trailers and put that advertising push EVERYWHERE.

The turn out results were ok. Obviously the trailers failed to excite people enough to go see this movie, in the bigger half of the small window of opportunity that it had to succeed.

A good trailer CAN help a movies opening, just as a bad one can hurt it. In this instance, the trailers were ok, they just didn't excite people enough to go see ASM2 in the numbers the studio hoped for.

Ok, that movie stank.

A 6 is barely a pass and the only thing it had going for it was some of the web slinging, and of course Gwen.

I was an X-men fan but my point of reference is not my like or dislike of the characters. I hardly knew any of the characters in First Class but thought it was a terrific comic movie.

Spidey 2 was campy. Whenever I was watching Max Dillon I thougt I was watching a 1990's Batman movie. :sick:

The story was not great (too many moving parts but not particularly well done), some of the special effects were cheesy (I thought Electro looked poor and there were a few instances where Spidey looked like a video game) and the science in the movie was cheesy.

Overall, this move will do great for the younger demographic / teenage market but IMO that's about it. I might watch it again just to see if my opinion holds up but I have little desire to see it again. I'd put it a shade above Ghost Rider, which I have never seen. lol

I grew up a Spider-man fan. I called John Romita long distance at Marvel Comics when I was 13 years old. (Boy, did I get in trouble for that!)

Never was a X-Men fan, really ever. Just never really got into it all that much.

But like you said, I thought X-Men First Class was a terrific comic book movie. Now I want to go see Days of Future Past really bad.

I thought ASM was lame and have no desire to waste my time seeing anything else Sony has to present in this series.

ASM is SOOOOO Joel Schumacher.

Ok, that movie stank.

I grew up a Spider-man fan. I called John Romita long distance at Marvel Comics when I was 13 years old. (Boy, did I get in trouble for that!)

Never was a X-Men fan, really ever. Just never really got into it all that much.

But like you said, I thought X-Men First Class was a terrific comic book movie. Now I want to go see Days of Future Past really bad.

I thought ASM was lame and have no desire to waste my time seeing anything else Sony has to present in this series.

Now I understand the secret to enjoying any of the X-Men movies. Thank you sir! (worship)

Ok, that movie stank.

Precisely why I have no interest in seeing this film. I can tell it is "Joel Schumacher" from the trailers. Cheesy science ( guy falls into a vat of eels???) , overly crammed with villains and a "Twilight" love story. No thanks, not a film made for me.

Ok, that movie stank.

Roy,

It is a million times better than Ghost Rider. Stop it. :baiting:

Yes I thought everyone knew the early issues of Spider-man were the OG of Twilight.

I thought the CGI was the BEST to ever grace any Spider-man movie. You can't have a realistic looking Spider-man without intense CGI.

If you think this movie was cheesy try re-watching Superman 1 or II with Christopher Reeve, what abolsute pieces-of-S.

Ok, that movie stank.

Precisely why I have no interest in seeing this film. I can tell it is "Joel Schumacher" from the trailers. Cheesy science ( guy falls into a vat of eels???) , overly crammed with villains and a "Twilight" love story. No thanks, not a film made for me.

So assuming you were never a Spiderman fan then, cause that is exactly what the early issues of Spider-man were. Twilight. HS/College love stories.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Ok, that movie stank.

So assuming you were never a Spiderman fan then, cause that is exactly what the early issues of Spider-man were. Twilight. HS/College love stories.

I can be a fan of Spiderman, and like one thing but not another. It is possible, there is no absolute here. I can enjoy reading one comic and enjoy the detail and the art and the story, but then pass on another comic because I think the cover alone looks ridiculous ( the recent Spiderman #1 UGH ).

Being a fan of something I read versus watching a movie have little to do with each other as they are different forms of entertainment. I can enjoy the book more than a film of the same, and vice versa.

This movie is not made for me. It is made for a viewer who wants to eat some popcorn and watch action and is happy just seeing explosions and spiderman swinging around on his webs. I am sure it looks amazing, but I personally need more. I need a well written film, not a guy falling into a vat of eels.

I loved Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I will likely see it again, and buy the DVD and watch it many times. I have no interest in seeing ASM 2. There is a difference between the two films to me in the writing, the delivery, the final product and I can tell by the trailers and from what others have said.

You like ASM 2, I am happy for you. I just know I won't.

Ok, that movie stank.

Now I understand the secret to enjoying any of the X-Men movies. Thank you sir! (worship)

That IS the secret!

Ok, that movie stank.

Maybe in Ultimate Spider-man.

The first three years of the real Spider-man focused upon his inability to form a relationship based upon his guilt of living up to the responsibility of his non-actions which led to the death of his Uncle Ben. He never even went on a date.

He had all of that power - a lifelong nerd, suddenly imbued with this great physical ability - yet that one mistake - and the need to live up to a responsibility he can never actually live up to - would make it difficult for him to have a relationship.

Even when he does start to date Gwen (in year FOUR of the comic), it's FAR from Twilighty. He still can't get a break, because he has to keep running off to live up to his responsibility, and Gwen, who DOESN'T know he's Spider-man, thinks he's some kind of coward.

Man, oh man!.... THAT is some drama. THAT is some angst.

THAT is the Sturm und Drang this story really needs.

Ok, that movie stank.

I can be a fan of Spiderman, and like one thing but not another. It is possible, there is no absolute here. I can enjoy reading one comic and enjoy the detail and the art and the story, but then pass on another comic because I think the cover alone looks ridiculous ( the recent Spiderman #1 UGH ).

Being a fan of something I read versus watching a movie have little to do with each other as they are different forms of entertainment. I can enjoy the book more than a film of the same, and vice versa.

This movie is not made for me. It is made for a viewer who wants to eat some popcorn and watch action and is happy just seeing explosions and spiderman swinging around on his webs. I am sure it looks amazing, but I personally need more. I need a well written film, not a guy falling into a vat of eels.

I loved Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I will likely see it again, and buy the DVD and watch it many times. I have no interest in seeing ASM 2. There is a difference between the two films to me in the writing, the delivery, the final product and I can tell by the trailers and from what others have said.

You like ASM 2, I am happy for you. I just know I won't.

I completely agree.

I said much earlier there are clear reasons why Cap 2 and X-men First class for adults were just amazing movies. We are not kids anymore so those movies really do a good job of being adult in nature. I just understand anytime they reboot or start over with Spider-man it is meant for kids only. One could argue a story can be geared to adults as well I just dont see how they can early on.

Ok, that movie stank.

The first three years of the real Spider-man focused upon his inability to form a relationship based upon his guilt of living up to the responsibility of his non-actions which led to the death of his Uncle Ben. He never even went on a date.

He had all of that power - a lifelong nerd, suddenly imbued with this great physical ability - yet that one mistake - and the need to live up to a responsibility he can never actually live up to - would make it difficult for him to have a relationship.

Even when he does start to date Gwen (in year FOUR of the comic), it's FAR from Twilighty. He still can't get a break, because he has to keep running off to live up to his responsibility, and Gwen, who DOESN'T know he's Spider-man, thinks he's some kind of coward.

Exactly still Twilight mentality.

I just re-read ASM 1-50 last year. OG of Twilight without a doubt.

Ditko ASM is still Twilight.

Anything to do with HS especially will always be geared towards exactly that.

Both directors did exactly what you think they didn't. Now maybe not in the manner you wanted but they still tackled those issues.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

That IS the secret!

The secret is to go into a movie and not compare it word for word with comics but instead look at it as an alternate universe.

Ok, that movie stank.

Roy,

It is a million times better than Ghost Rider. Stop it. :baiting:

Yes I thought everyone knew the early issues of Spider-man were the OG of Twilight.

I thought the CGI was the BEST to ever grace any Spider-man movie. You can't have a realistic looking Spider-man without intense CGI.

If you think this movie was cheesy try re-watching Superman 1 or II with Christopher Reeve, what abolsute pieces-of-S.

He never saw Ghost Rider,so how would he know?

Oh yeah he probally saw a trailer of it.

Ghost Rider one was a pretty decent flick as well. :cloud9:

Ok, that movie stank.

Exactly still Twilight mentality.

I just re-read ASM 1-50 last year. OG of Twilight without a doubt.

Ditko ASM is still Twilight.

Anything to do with HS especially will always be geared towards exactly that.

Both directors did exactly what you think they didn't. Now maybe not in the manner you wanted but they still tackled those issues.

You saw a different Twilight than me then.

And read a different ASM 1-50 apparently.

Ghost Rider one was a pretty decent flick as well. :cloud9:

GR 2 was on TV and I scanned a few of the scenes and then turned it off. Trash.