• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

Who cares if this movie makes it's money back? :shrug:

Sony. The executive producers. The director. The writers. Among others

Exactly, and pretty well anyone involved in the movie, especially those with revenue points.

That's the *only* reason A-list talent accepts these idiotic duties/roles on PG-13 funny book tripe like this, to make a huge amount of coin on billion-dollar returns.

Do you just wake up a mean cynical person,or does it grow during the course of the day? meh

Do you honestly think serious writers, directors, actors and other "artistes" actually like working on big budget tripe like ASM 2?

Sure, and I guess that's why they all take huge pay cuts to work on quality movies. :facepalm:

So..............You DO wake up like that? :facepalm:

Just pulling your chain JC. :baiting:

I know, and I just dislike that society seems to be getting dumber by the minute, with "hit shows" like Duck Dynasty, Housewives of XXXX and Honey Boo Boo, and tripe like ASM 2 being held up like it's some filmic masterpiece.

Just, wow.

Honey Boo Boo. lol

Just awesome.

DuckDynasty-PhilRobertson_zps8e98a752.jpg

I know, and I just dislike that society seems to be getting dumber by the minute, with "hit shows" like Duck Dynasty, Housewives of XXXX and Honey Boo Boo, and tripe like ASM 2 being held up like it's some filmic masterpiece.

Just, wow.

+1

Amen!

Peace,

Chippy Boo Boo

Edited by Chip Cataldo

I haven't read through all 17 pages, but I'm surprised I haven't seen any comments regarding Felicia. Possible Black Cat app. in the future? (shrug)

that's if there is a future for this film

and more characters is not what this franchise needs at all

I haven't read through all 17 pages, but I'm surprised I haven't seen any comments regarding Felicia. Possible Black Cat app. in the future? (shrug)

Who plays her?

It seems to me this movie must be pretty good. Rotten tomatoes is always referenced and it's the critics numbers that are almost always thrown out. Yes 54% of 225 critics liked it but these people just seem to never get it right for me. I look at the audience and if 75% of 144 thousand people like it I would say it was pretty successful so far. I fully expect the numbers to really go down at the box office with Godzilla and X-Men coming out the next two weeks though. Tough premiers to go up against. I think Winter Soldier really benefited from that since it was getting good word of mouth and there just weren't any other movies that would challenge it for about 3-4 weeks

As much as I liked ASM2, I still feel like they should have just focused on Electro this movie. Introducing Rhino in the beginning and setting up for ASM 3 was fine. But I think introducing Harry and letting the friendship grow a little more would have been better. Then let him become the GG in ASM3.

Also would've kept Gwen around until ASM3, which is really when I expected her to die.

So, even my 8yr old son was confused about Rhino. I think it was very poorly executed. GG was ok, but electro could have been so much more than he was.

The end of it was good (minus the Rhino) but I still think ASM is targeted to kids which is why I didn't enjoy it as much.

Winter soldier was more adult focused and even my GF really liked it.

I don't know what my point is....

There are plenty of movies that an adult as well as an 8 year old can enjoy.

Pixar, with movies like the Toy Story trilogy, come to mind.

Animators like Chuck Jones and Tex Avery made it look easy, and I suspect that's what Sony is trying to do with the Amazing Spider-Man franchise.

My major critique of the movie is that their attempt at doing this was a bit awkward.

I did like the movie, however.

There are plenty of movies that an adult as well as an 8 year old can enjoy.

Pixar, with movies like the Toy Story trilogy, come to mind.

Sure, the initital run of Pixar movies are great, and they meld all levels of writing to create something special that all ages can enjoy. I think Toy Story 2 is one of the best animated movies ever made, but that's not what Spider-man 2 was.

ASM 2 was a bad Dreamworks ripoff of a Pixar idea, with dumb writing, bad acting and a tone directly centered on the 8-10 year old viewer. No offense, but I can't really understand why an adult (other than seeing their kids enjoy it) would classify ASM2 as a quality movie deserving of your money.

I take my kids to lots of trashy movies like this, but I still understand how trashy and low-brow they are.

I just got back from seeing Amazing Spider-Man 2 again.

Yep, liked it so much, I saw it again today. :acclaim:

I liked it better the second time I saw it, the group I was with enjoyed it, and there was plenty of audience applause at the end.

I enjoy Garfield's Peter Parker as much as Tobey's. Yes, I'm discounting Spider-Man 3, the one Spidey film I won't own on blu-ray.

I caught some of Spider-Man 3 last night on the TV, and I didn`t realize how old Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst looked compared to Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone,plus Spider-Man 3 was made 7 years ago! :o

I hate to think how Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst would look now playing youthful characters.

Sony was wise making the reboot! Good call.

I liked it better the second time I saw it, the group I was with enjoyed it, and there was plenty of audience applause at the end.

I enjoy Garfield's Peter Parker as much as Tobey's. Yes, I'm discounting Spider-Man 3, the one Spidey film I won't own on blu-ray.

I caught some of Spider-Man 3 last night on the TV, and I didn`t realize how old Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst looked compared to Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone,plus Spider-Man 3 was made 7 years ago! :o

I hate to think how Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst would look now playing youthful characters.

spiderman_1122843i.jpg

spiderman_1122843i.jpg

:applause:

"Spider-Man Reign"? hm

Who cares if this movie makes it's money back? :shrug:

Sony. The executive producers. The director. The writers. Among others

Exactly, and pretty well anyone involved in the movie, especially those with revenue points.

That's the *only* reason A-list talent accepts these idiotic duties/roles on PG-13 funny book tripe like this, to make a huge amount of coin on billion-dollar returns.

Do you just wake up a mean cynical person,or does it grow during the course of the day? meh

Do you honestly think serious writers, directors, actors and other "artistes" actually like working on big budget tripe like ASM 2?

Sure, and I guess that's why they all take huge pay cuts to work on quality movies. :facepalm:

So..............You DO wake up like that? :facepalm:

Just pulling your chain JC. :baiting:

Just, wow.

Has anyone called it a masterpiece? I think even its defenders have said it was an enjoyable movie.

You need to get your glasses checked you old curmudgeon.

I just came back from seeing this with Mrs. CC, and I have to say ASM 2 is a winner!

First of all my expectations were low because of the ASM 2 CGI trailers, the Rotten Tomatoes reviews, and my lukewarm feelings of ASM 1.

Speaking of ASM 1 let`s get this straight!

ASM 2 is way better then ASM 1.

Now lets look at why I liked ASM 2 so much.

In ASM 1 we didn`t really care about the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man.

Here in ASM 2 he wins us over. We care about him,we care about his parent`s, and most of all we care about Gwen.

The villians of ASM 2 are way more interesting then the boring Lizard.

In fact there are times when Electro and the Green Goblin are downright scary.

To take it a step further Dane Dehaan steals the movie as the Green Goblin.

http://images.moviefanatic.com/iu/t_xlarge_l/v1389293924/dane-dehaan-the-

While I am glad you liked the movie but after re-reading your review I guess what I still don't get is what about ASM 1 you didn't like.

I get people thought that main villain was lame, but guess what so is the real lizard back in the 1960's. (shrug) I actually thought the actor who played Dr Connors did an amazing job, and the CGI was just fine with me. I mean lets give these first 2 movies some credit here since they used what 3 C-list villains without going to the main 3 just yet. 1. Venom 2. Green Goblin (Norman) 3 Doc Ock

Garfield is by far the better actor and person to play the part over Tobey.

I am very critical and outspoken so when it comes to people not enjoying Garfield as Spider-man/PP I shake my head probably the most ever since joining the boards.