• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

Saw the movie last night.

I enjoyed it very much.

Gwen and Peter you could actually feel the relationship growing, and ASM #121 was in full effect especially if you freeze frame and see the clock time on blu ray when it comes out. :whistle:

Is this the best comic book movie of all time? Well no, but it certainly wasn't a turd.

Very nice special effects, and the C level villains did just enough to not be over done like they were in Spider-man 3.

Garfield again proves why he outclasses Tobey in every which way as PP/Spider-man.

Excited for the Sinister 6, and more of Ultimate Spider-man style Spidey (so sorry for you old heads that want Ditko/Romita Spidey)

I don't want Ditko/Romita Spidey really...(grew up on McSpidey myself)

Is it too much to ask for villains that are not utter garbage? Unfortunately that's all this reboot has crapped out.

It's too bad, because Spiderman/Gwen are so well done.

I hear year but what villains besides a couple are A list are there really? (shrug)

The 3 A-list villains will be back for yea in the next two movies no?

It has nothing to do with "A-list or B-list"...it's about execution. Writing....acting...etc.

There is nothing wrong with The Lizard, Electro, or Goblin...but they have managed to make ALL THREE suck. It all comes back to the producers,writers,etc.

I enjoyed it very much.

Gwen and Peter you could actually feel the relationship growing, and ASM #121 was in full effect especially if you freeze frame and see the clock time on blu ray when it comes out. :whistle:

Is this the best comic book movie of all time? Well no, but it certainly wasn't a turd.

Very nice special effects, and the C level villains did just enough to not be over done like they were in Spider-man 3.

Garfield again proves why he outclasses Tobey in every which way as PP/Spider-man.

Excited for the Sinister 6, and more of Ultimate Spider-man style Spidey (so sorry for you old heads that want Ditko/Romita Spidey)

Is it too much to ask for villains that are not utter garbage? Unfortunately that's all this reboot has crapped out.

I hear year but what villains besides a couple are A list are there really? (shrug)

It has nothing to do with "A-list or B-list"...it's about execution. Writing....acting...etc.

There is nothing wrong with The Lizard, Electro, or Goblin...but they have managed to make ALL THREE suck. It all comes back to the producers,writers,etc.

I saw nothing wrong with any of the villains portrayals in ASM 1 or 2.

I guess I am just not understanding some of the expectations from some of you guys.

Electro was to me fairly accurate to Ultimate Spider-man comic book series which this regime of Spider-man movies are. (shrug)

Saw it this morning and I really enjoyed (big surprise) it

I think for those of us (SOT) that have read the ultimate series, the changes in this version of the Spidey universe don't seem so drastic and probably lends a lot to why we have enjoyed these films they way that we have.

I would really recommend that if you haven't read the Ultimate Spider-man series, you should give it a shot, I enjoyed it very much.

Not an oscar winner and not as good as the Dark Knight but good enough for me.

Watched it in 3D

Electro was to me fairly accurate to Ultimate Spider-man comic book series which this regime of Spider-man movies are. (shrug)

You really need to stop referencing Ultimate Spider-Man. Electro was nothing like his counterpart in USM. Appearance maybe…

I enjoyed it very much.

Well, that says it all I guess.

Enjoy your spidey films!

You really need to stop referencing Ultimate Spider-Man. Electro was nothing like his counterpart in USM. Appearance maybe…

Plus, everyone loves the CLASSIC Gwen Stacy death, from the USM comics... :eyeroll:

I enjoyed it very much.

Totally agree - me and the wife enjoyed it! It was no Winter Soldier but worth buying the ticket.

Our theater had applause at the end; hadn't heard that for any movie in quite a while.

Sorry just meant his actual look.

I enjoyed it very much.

Enjoy your spidey films!

I did.

Sorry you wanted to see C level villains instantly become Joker/Magneto A-listers on film. :whatev:

That makes more sense. Personally, I would have loved to see them use the Kinpin and do Electro like they did in USM.

Monetarily it didn't do so good. Estimates are coming in at between 90-92 million for the weekend. Weaker than Cap 2's opening weekend of 95+. If we expect a 50% loss on second weekend and an even bigger drop the following weekends (Godzilla and X-Men are going to destroy) then the movie will be lucky to break $250 million, if that. Not a strong sign, given the budget + Marketing costs.

correct. given the $425MM+ production and marketing costs, will not break even on BO receipts even if it does $550MM Int'l.

Where is that $425 MM production and marketing cost coming from?

UPDATED BOX OFFICE: ‘Amazing Spider-Man 2′ Casts $92M Web; ‘The Other Woman’ Holding Strong; ‘Rio2′ Passes $100M

The production budget is said to be around $255M, with about $185M-$190M spent on marketing. That means all in it needs to make well over $752.2M worldwide (which is what the first installment grossed). About 65% of that came internationally.

Does that mean in addition to the $255 MM + $185-190 MM?

yes

OMG!

Financially, this may be Sony's lesson learned for not focusing more on a stronger story.

Who cares if this movie makes it's money back? :shrug:

It's a licensed property that will make a billion dollars in merchandising until the next one. Think t-shirts, Halloween costumes (multiple villian choices), video games, dvd/blu ray sales, back to school stuff (binders, portofolios, pens, etc), soundtracks, cable rights sale (which could be upwards $120 million), birthday party favors, it's a really endless amount of Amazing Spidey 2 junk we will see in the next two-three years. :P

The problem for Sony is that they gave the merchandising rights back to Disney/Marvel, so Sony has to make all of their money on the movie itself. Disney makes all profit from the merchandising.

Interesting point in this article though:

In comparison, the first ASM opened to $62M (starting on a Tuesday) and grossed a total of $262M in the domestic marketplace. In terms of previous Spider-Man performances, it did better than Spider-Man 2 (2004) which grossed $88.1M in its opening weekend and ended up at $373M domestically.

Sort of curious that the majority of people don't think it was as good as Spider-Man 2, but it is trending better.

I enjoyed it very much.

Enjoy your spidey films!

I did.

Sorry you wanted to see C level villains instantly become Joker/Magneto A-listers on film. :whatev:

First off...the Green Goblin is every bit the A-list villain as either Joker or Magneto, If handled properly (you know, well written or acted).

Secondly, Electro COULD have been a great movie villain. Instead, he was a POORLY written, caricature of a nerd...hitting all the stereotypes (oversized glasses, terrible comb-over, bad teeth) that for a reason they didn't feel the need to expand on (well written characters are hard) he turned EVIL. Basically he became a bad guy, because people didn't respect him, and Spider-man got ALL the attention. Boo hoo.

But hey who cares, he got to shoot lots of cool lightning, that looked neat in 3D. Pew pew. :eyeroll:

In comparison, the first ASM opened to $62M (starting on a Tuesday) and grossed a total of $262M in the domestic marketplace. In terms of previous Spider-Man performances, it did better than Spider-Man 2 (2004) which grossed $88.1M in its opening weekend and ended up at $373M domestically.

Sort of curious that the majority of people don't think it was as good as Spider-Man 2, but it is trending better.

Although I am excited to hear enough positive about ASM 2, that last statement is not completely accurate.

9euQIDl.png

If you adjust for 2014 dollars so you are comparing evenly, then Spider-Man 2 earned $502.3 MM domestically compared to ASM1 which earned $281.3 MM.

The inflation rate is quite substantial enough it does make a difference when comparing a 2004 movie to a 2012 movie.

That makes more sense. Personally, I would have loved to see them use the Kinpin and do Electro like they did in USM.

Here is what I saw in this film:

Target Audience of youth can relate to Gwen/Peter Twilight style relationship

Very good CGI that made Spider-man mannerisms really come to live like never before

Garfield's humor took me back to how Spidey is supposed to act (cocky kid).

I think most people fail realize is of course CAP 2, Dark Knight, X-men FC are better movies for most of us because we are adults and can't/want relate to HS type BS anymore.

If I was 12 years old I would have thought CAP 2 was lame compared to this Spidey movie. Just because when you are 12 the early Spider-man storlylines are more relatable.

IDK like I said I enjoyed this movie. Good enough for me, solid B.

Garfield is more PP/Spidey I envisioned than Tobey ever was.

Excited to see the future movies.

For anyone to call this movie a turd I just can't take seriously. (I know not you, just saying in general.)

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

I personally loved the film. At no point did I feel the plot was rushed or dragging, and I agree with earlier statements that:

A) The CGI was improved in the movie vs. the trailers.

B) Electro was scary for several brief moments.

C) I really cared about Peter and Gwen. I developed a crush on Emma Stone throughout the course of the movie.

More thoughts:

I welled up several times, such as during Gwen's speech (though it was rather generic), and I openly wept during the scene with the boy standing up to the Rhino.

I also thought it was clever how they put so much focus on promoting the Rhino, but he wound up playing a very small part in this film. You'd think that would tick me off, but I think it worked based on what they appear to be setting up. I don't like the actor yet, however.

Of course, it wasn't without its flaws. The Green Goblin part was powerful only in the buildup, and during his very short scene with Gwen's death. He is definitely scarier physically than the original trilogy Goblin, though not yet in terms of character. I'm sure I'll remember more as I think back. lol

As a closing thought, I loved the main theme. It was reminiscent of the Avengers, while not being too inspired.

As a closing thought, I loved the main theme. It was reminiscent of the Avengers, while not being too inspired.

Will you be buying it on Blu-Ray after seeing it?

As a sample why it is dangerous to just take a given point in time's sales and compare it to a modern movie like was done here, look at Spider-Man 2's opening day on June 30th, 2004 ($40,442,604).

If you were to account for inflation to see what this would be worth in 2014, that same amount would now be an additional $10,146,619.01 ($50,589,223.01).

That's why using something like a profit indicator is a better way to go as then they are being compared on the same playing field.

Will you be buying it on Blu-Ray after seeing it?

+1 yes

That does tell me something. Now I am looking forward to seeing this.

:whee:

Monetarily it didn't do so good. Estimates are coming in at between 90-92 million for the weekend. Weaker than Cap 2's opening weekend of 95+. If we expect a 50% loss on second weekend and an even bigger drop the following weekends (Godzilla and X-Men are going to destroy) then the movie will be lucky to break $250 million, if that. Not a strong sign, given the budget + Marketing costs.

correct. given the $425MM+ production and marketing costs, will not break even on BO receipts even if it does $550MM Int'l.

Where is that $425 MM production and marketing cost coming from?

UPDATED BOX OFFICE: ‘Amazing Spider-Man 2′ Casts $92M Web; ‘The Other Woman’ Holding Strong; ‘Rio2′ Passes $100M

The production budget is said to be around $255M, with about $185M-$190M spent on marketing. That means all in it needs to make well over $752.2M worldwide (which is what the first installment grossed). About 65% of that came internationally.

Does that mean in addition to the $255 MM + $185-190 MM?

yes

OMG!

Financially, this may be Sony's lesson learned for not focusing more on a stronger story.

Who cares if this movie makes it's money back? :shrug:

It's a licensed property that will make a billion dollars in merchandising until the next one. Think t-shirts, Halloween costumes (multiple villian choices), video games, dvd/blu ray sales, back to school stuff (binders, portofolios, pens, etc), soundtracks, cable rights sale (which could be upwards $120 million), birthday party favors, it's a really endless amount of Amazing Spidey 2 junk we will see in the next two-three years. :P

The problem for Sony is that they gave the merchandising rights back to Disney/Marvel, so Sony has to make all of their money on the movie itself. Disney makes all profit from the merchandising.

Spider-man 2 opened on a Wednesday, it's first 5 days gross was $152mm in 2004 $'s; ASM #2 will be $40mm behind this total after 5 days in 2014 $'s.