• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

I would be surprised if Sony doesn't yank Webb from this franchise. The pitch count on Webb is 0-2.

People are very split on this. Webb is getting things accurate from the comics. Ex. the webshooters, the personality, the movements of Spidey, and best of all that suit in the recent movie. He was also able to show Peter's intelligence and especially Gwen's in this past movie as well

I don't know man, I am a huge Spidey fan (obviously) but after what I saw from ASM 1 and what I am hearing about this film (seeing it this weekend), I am pretty underwhelmed.

I disagree a bit on how Webb is "getting things accurate from the comics"

Just because Spidey made his webshooters and his costume looks exactly like the comics in this current series does not equal a win for me...It needs more than that. Much, much more.

Also, linking all these villains to Oscorp is lame and NOTHING like the comics. Look how far they strayed from the comics for the villains - Those pics of Rhino and GG make me want to :sick:

Anyway, I will wait until I see ASM 2 to reserve final judgement, but my expectations are quite low...

I just don't get how hard it is to make a good Spidey movie? It should not be this difficult!!!

Avi Arad made a big stink about Fiege "getting all the credit" for Marvel's recent success, but that guy really, really needs to look at what Marvel is doing and actually honour the source material...

Edited by Wall-Crawler

I would be surprised if Sony doesn't yank Webb from this franchise. The pitch count on Webb is 0-2.

People are very split on this. Webb is getting things accurate from the comics. Ex. the webshooters, the personality, the movements of Spidey, and best of all that suit in the recent movie. He was also able to show Peter's intelligence and especially Gwen's in this past movie as well

I don't know man, I am a huge Spidey fan (obviously) but after what I saw from ASM 1 and what I am hearing about this film (seeing it this weekend), I am pretty underwhelmed.

Just because Spidey made his webshooters and his costume looks exactly like the comics in this current series does not equal a win for me...It needs more than that. Much, much more.

Also, linking all these villains to Oscorp is lame and NOTHING like the comics. Look how far they strayed from the comics for the villains - Those pics of Rhino and GG make me want to :sick:

Anyway, I will wait until I see ASM 2 to reserve final judgement, but my expectations are quite low...

Actually I feel that is ing awesome and makes more sense.

So...Arguably the best rogue's gallery in all of comics are going to be reduced to a bunch of corporate assassins/lackey's? How will they infuse any sense of "personality" to any of them? I could understand a couple of villains but all of the Sinister Six?

Like I said, I will take a wait and see approach but...Outlook Not So Good.

So...Arguably the best rogue's gallery in all of comics are going to be reduced to a bunch of corporate assassins/lackey's? How will they infuse any sense of "personality" to any of them? I could understand a couple of villains but all of the Sinister Six?

Exactly this.

Look to Doc Ock in Tobey's second movie to see how a villain ought to be done on screen. His origin was quite true to the comics but also translated to screen really well. If they reduce Doc Ock and the others down to simple Oscorp creations that will be horrible.

Edited by mysterio

Exactly this.

Look to Doc Ock in Tobey's second movie to see how a villain ought to be done on screen. If they reduce Doc Ock and the others down to simple Oscorp creations that will be horrible.

Mysterio, agree with you 100%.

If you take away the goofy costume, William Daffoe as the first GG was a pretty good villain. It established the Father/Son relationship between Norman and Harry and later gave reason for Harry to hate Spidey. Doc Ock was great and again, we had motivation, tragedy and redemption. Spidey 3, well, we can just leave that one out but how much of that was Sony's fault vs Raimi's? We will never know the truth but this current reboot is just weird.

Did I hear right that they introduce Felecia Hardy as an employee of Oscorp too???????

Sheesh.

Exactly this.

Look to Doc Ock in Tobey's second movie to see how a villain ought to be done on screen. His origin was quite true to the comics but also translated to screen really well. If they reduce Doc Ock and the others down to simple Oscorp creations that will be horrible.

Exactly.

The great thing about Silver Age Marvel villains is that they had some empathetic feature to them. They weren't just one dimensional bad guys fro the sake of having a one. Spider-Man 2 captured this with Doc Ock.

By making them all just OSCORP creations, they have no personality, no real back story that means anything, they just become 'stuff that's supposed to look cool'.

But for a series that's more geared to ULTIMATE Spider-man and the MODERN version of the comic, what else is their to expect? The 90's ruined these characters, taking all the personality out of them in exchange for 'what looks cool'. All style and no substance.

A good story with good characters that is written well is always going to win out over something meant to just 'look cool'.

SONY has fumbled the ball on this big time.

Exactly this.

Exactly.

The great thing about Silver Age Marvel villains is that they had some empathetic feature to them. They weren't just one dimensional bad guys fro the sake of having a one. Spider-Man 2 captured this with Doc Ock.

By making them all just OSCORP creations, they have no personality, no real back story that means anything, they just become 'stuff that's supposed to look cool'.

But for a series that's more geared to ULTIMATE Spider-man and the MODERN version of the comic, what else is their to expect? The 90's ruined these characters, taking all the personality out of them in exchange for 'what looks cool'. All style and no substance.

A good story with good characters that is written well is always going to win out over something meant to just 'look cool'.

Ultimate Spider-Man was pretty good actually. Even with Ultimate Spider-Man, they were not ALL Oscorp creations. While there was a direct connection between some of them (Osborn and Otto) and some of the others, at least they brought in Justin Hammer as another foil/counter for Spidey and Oscorp. Ultimate Venom was a result of work Peter and Eddie's fathers were working on. The Ultimate Universe managed to change these characters and make them (most of them) interesting and more than generic villains. Why can't Sony?

Exactly this.

Ultimate Spider-man so yes they are from the comics

Exactly this.

Exactly.

Ultimate Spider-Man was pretty good actually. Even with Ultimate Spider-Man, they were not ALL Oscorp creations. While there was a direct connection between some of them (Osborn and Otto) and some of the others, at least they brought in Justin Hammer as another foil/counter for Spidey and Oscorp. Ultimate Venom was a result of work Peter and Eddie's fathers were working on. The Ultimate Universe managed to change these characters and make them (most of them) interesting and more than generic villains. Why can't Sony?

I am assuming that is exactly how Venom's origin will be via film as well. Much better the Ultimate Version that the Secret Wars 8 IMO.

I would be surprised if Sony Even what they are doing in the ASM franchise is not taken directly from the Ultimate Universe. My point is that while there is a bit more linkage in the Ultimate Universe to Oscorp and/or Hammer Industries, it is still done much, much better in the comics and the costume designs in the ASM movie series, aside from Spidey's still suck.doesn't yank Webb from this franchise. The pitch count on Webb is 0-2.

Exactly this.

Exactly.

I am assuming that is exactly how Venom's origin will be via film as well. Much better the Ultimate Version that the Secret Wars 8 IMO.

Even what they are doing in the ASM franchise is not taken directly from the Ultimate Universe. My point is that while there is a bit more linkage in the Ultimate Universe to Oscorp and/or Hammer Industries, it is still done much, much better in the comics and the costume designs in the ASM movie series, aside from Spidey's still suck.

While obviously you couldn't get into the Beyonder and all that, I liked how in the 616 version, the symbiote is an alien entity. Adds a different 'flavour' in contrast to his other villains. I think the big advantage too, is that Venom in 616 evolved over time and in the Ultimate Universe he was developed in one storyline. Did not have the same "oomph" as that first Venom saga...

I think they could have an alien be the suit in a movie and have it be good.

I just don't get how hard it is to make a good Spidey movie? It should not be this difficult!!!

Avi Arad made a big stink about Fiege "getting all the credit" for Marvel's recent success, but that guy really, really needs to look at what Marvel is doing and actually honour the source material...

Oh yeah, I know that it needs more than that. But as far as looking back to the original trilogy, there's no doubt in my mind that these ASM movies are truer to the comics. Of course the villains aren't true to the books, which is why I didn't mention it. I was just saying that these films follow the books more accurately compared to Raimi's even if it's just a little bit. One thing's for sure imo though. The current movie really captures Spidey's personality from the comics, which ironically enough has some fans complaining about it

Oh yeah, I know that it needs more than that. But as far as looking back to the original trilogy, there's no doubt in my mind that these ASM movies are truer to the comics. Of course the villains aren't true to the books, which is why I didn't mention it. I was just saying that these films follow the books more accurately compared to Raimi's even if it's just a little bit. One thing's for sure imo though. The current movie really captures Spidey's personality from the comics, which ironically enough has some fans complaining about it

From which comics?

You're retelling the origin of Spider-man and not including JJJ, introducing Gwen Stacey and her Dad already, killing off her Dad in the first movie, NOT having Spider-man catch the burglar who killed his Uncle Ben (which is a pretty important part of the origin)...

These movies are NOTHING like the comics, OTHER THAN, Spider-man wise cracking.

From which comics?

You're retelling the origin of Spider-man and not including JJJ, introducing Gwen Stacey and her Dad already, killing off her Dad in the first movie, NOT having Spider-man catch the burglar who killed his Uncle Ben (which is a pretty important part of the origin)...

NOTHING like the comics is an exaggeration. Like I said, I was comparing Raimi's to Webb's. Webb's is more accurate than Raimi's. It's a reboot, a new cast, new characters others may not have heard before. Of course they'd retell the origin. Yes, catching the burglar was important to the origin, but only to the point that he found out he was the one who murdered Uncle Ben. And that's what Peter found out in the reboot. He found out the guy who killed his Uncle Ben was the burglar he let go.

As far as this reboot being more accurate than Raimi's, Gwen is introduced as his first true love, Captain Stacy dies, little things like having webshooters, the costume, the wisecracks, his intelligence is shown more, and some other things from the current movie that I won't mention just yet so I don't spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it.

And honestly, I find it respectful to not include JJJ in these movies, at least not physically. JK Simmons is just that guy that in my mind could never be out done in that role. But again, these Webb films aren't exactly like the comics, but more accurate compared to Raimi's, other than these villains being linked to Oscorp to set up this Sinister Six movie

From which comics?

NOTHING like the comics is an exaggeration. Like I said, I was comparing Raimi's to Webb's. Webb's is more accurate than Raimi's.

How so? Because of the web shooters?

Because Spider-man jokes more?

Raimi at least told the origin somewhat how it was written, the new movie gets it completely wrong.

You know... the origin. The whole reason Peter becomes a superhero instead of using his new powers for gain....

It's a reboot, a new cast, new characters others may not have heard before. Of course they'd retell the origin. Yes, catching the burglar was important to the origin, but only to the point that he found out he was the one who murdered Uncle Ben. And that's what Peter found out in the reboot. He found out the guy who killed his Uncle Ben was the burglar he let go.

Yeah, what they're saying in the reboot is... the burglar who killed your Uncle Ben? He's of secondary importance. You know he did it. Forget about it.

You got some booty now. Focus on that.

:screwy:

As far as this reboot being more accurate than Raimi's, Gwen is introduced as his first true love, Captain Stacy dies, little things like having webshooters, the costume, the wisecracks, his intelligence is shown more, and some other things from the current movie that I won't mention just yet so I don't spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it.

Gwen didn't immediately become his true love, more than 3 years into it - inaccurate, Captain Stacey was actually sympathetic to Spider-man - inaccurate, web shooters - ok, the costume - ok, the wisecracks - he wisecracked in the first movie, his intelligence - (shrug)

And honestly, I find it respectful to not include JJJ in these movies, at least not physically. JK Simmons is just that guy that in my mind could never be out done in that role.

:facepalm:

But again, these Webb films aren't exactly like the comics, but more accurate compared to Raimi's, other than these villains being linked to Oscorp to set up this Sinister Six movie
lol

Chuck,

I truly believe anyone else they got to play JJ other than the previous actor would have been a total flop and that has to be the reason they haven't incorporated him in the film series yet. I have a feeling we will see him in part 3 as the comedic character due to people begging again to see him on the screen.

Also I hear yea on the origin aspect, but it is not like the Raimi movies were 20-30 years ago so they probably felt there was no need to regurgitate what people just saw a couple years back (yes even if it was 11 years from each part 1's). Same goes with Ben as Batman soon, there is just no need to rehash it so soon besides maybe a 1 minute flashback.

I for one really enjoy the S6 all coming from Oscorp. An evil empire is a cool concept, you know a real life Star bucks :insane:

I guess I knew besides the one big death in this movie that this movie was basically a filler movie similar to the Iron Man sequels. The big keys for me is how will the movies be going forward with S6 and Venom/Carnage. That is what I am really waiting for and hoping those are not screw ups.

We shall see......

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Wish they could keep the same JJJ in the reboot.

Maybe they will in ASM3, if only to get back some of the audience from the Raimi films.