• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

I doubt the validity of this. Sony has already announced several upcoming films. ASM 3 is already being written with Marc Webb and Andrew Garfield contracted to return.

I'm almost certain it's not true, but it's funny to see an actor publish his wishful thinking, even if he did delete it soon after.

Brutal weekend for ASM 2...

They're talking about this movie limping across the $200 million domestic line....

If not for those Foreign grosses which are HUGE (but less profitable), this movie would be considered a real dud.

Especially for one of the biggest franchises in superheroes.

Finally saw this film.

I went in with very low expectations as I really did not like ASM 1, and from what I have seen in the trailers and the reviews I read here I was expecting a lousy film.

I come away from watching feeling...well, what can I say, i didn't hate it, I didn't really like it.

It felt long, and a lot of stuff could have been cut from the film to get it under 2 hours.

I agree that there are elements that felt like "Joel Schumacher", the dialogue of Electro was bad ( you like me!...you really like me! - Jim Carrey the Mask ).

The effects were great, the visuals were great but so what, they should be.

My friend said there was to much character development - I found this interesting.

I felt this film should have focused more on the Electro story, developed the relationship with Peter - Gwen - Harry and then the NEXT film could have been Harry's transformation to the Green Goblin and the death of Gwen. In ASM 2 it felt tacked on at the end.

Speaking of tacked on at the end - the Rhino. Just eliminate every scene this character had in the film, the beginning he was terrible, and the end he was even worse if that is possible. The guy operating the suit is a baffoon / foil of a character and it is lame. The suit is Terrible.

Overall I give this film a 1 out of 5.

it just saddens me that Sony can't do this right. The look of Spiderman and how he swings on the webs and stuff is about all they do right, the stories are not great, and it is to bad. There are a ton of great stories to reference, and Spidey has argueably the best pool of villains to delve into.

I still feel Rami's Spider-man 2 is the best film. Likely because there was only one villain in the film.

it just saddens me that Sony can't do this right. The look of Spiderman and how he swings on the webs and stuff is about all they do right, the stories are not great, and it is to bad. There are a ton of great stories to reference, and Spidey has argueably the best pool of villains to delve into.

I still feel Rami's Spider-man 2 is the best film. Likely because there was only one villain in the film.

I think Spiderman 2 from Rami is still the best one too. I think that actor that played Octopus really made the difference. Medina gave a depth to that character that stood out compared to the we just witnessed with Jaime Fox.

On a side note I usually buy the blu ray's of all the spiderman movies, even 3. But I won't be getting this one, I really have zero desire to sit through it again.

+1, I haven't revisited the film in years and don't plan to anytime soon but it's definitely the best, even if by default.

I think Spiderman 2 from Rami is still the best one too. I think that actor that played Octopus really made the difference. Medina gave a depth to that character that stood out compared to the we just witnessed with Jaime Fox.

On a side note I usually buy the blu ray's of all the spiderman movies, even 3. But I won't be getting this one, I really have zero desire to sit through it again.

Heavyweight actors make a big difference to these roles, which reflects on the whole movie. You need acting ability to lift these characters off the comic pages with any credibility.

Heavyweight actors make a big difference to these roles, which reflects on the whole movie. You need acting ability to lift these characters off the comic pages with any credibility.

Agree, but I think good writing is required just as much as a solid acting performance.

Listen to Jaime Fox's dialogue in ASM 2, it is extremely bad from the first moment we see him to his transformation to Electro to the final fight.

A senior executive getting too involved in the creative process?

SONY CEO On Hands On Approach And The Studios Future

"I spend a lot of time trying stuff out for myself,""I went to see the final edits for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 before it came out; [sony Entertainment CEO] Michael [Lynton] and [sPE co-chairman] Amy [Pascal] just wanted to get my thoughts on a few things," "I can't edit a film, I just know if this scene and that scene don't come together quite right, and so maybe we want to explain why this plane is out of control or blind in the air. I know if something is confusing,"

A senior executive getting too involved in the creative process?

SONY CEO On Hands On Approach And The Studios Future

"I spend a lot of time trying stuff out for myself,""I went to see the final edits for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 before it came out; [sony Entertainment CEO] Michael [Lynton] and [sPE co-chairman] Amy [Pascal] just wanted to get my thoughts on a few things," "I can't edit a film, I just know if this scene and that scene don't come together quite right, and so maybe we want to explain why this plane is out of control or blind in the air. I know if something is confusing,"

It's always bad when a suit (financier) wants to try and play director when they've never had an ounce of talent in their life. :facepalm:

Very very bad. Heaven's gate bad. Battlefield Earth bad.

The less people know about something, the more they think they know.

OK, I just saw ASM 2 today. My expectations were very low - the last film (ASM) did not work for me in any way, shape or form - Garfield and his twitchy tweaker vibe sucked, the low-rent special effects sucked (they couldn't CGI some more people into the background of NYC??), the Lizard sucked, it was way too soon after the Raimi trilogy and felt rehashed, and, oh, did I mention that IT SUCKED.

Which is why I was surprised that I actually thought ASM 2 was pretty good! It worked for me and was believable as an "Ultimate" version of the franchise. Garfield must have taken his Adderall because he was 90% less twitchy than in the first film. I didn't care much for Maxwell Dillon, but when he became Electro, I was on board - I thought he was played with real menace. I thought Stone was good (and I have no crush on her whatsoever) and that her part was written well. The excessive use of rotoscope-like slo-mo special effects was a bit annoying, but certainly did not detract much from an overall enjoyable film. Was it up to Raimi's Spidey 1 and Spidey 2 standards? No, but after the C- effort of the last one, I was very pleasantly surprised and would not be embarrassed to give this one a solid B+.

Oh, one more complaint: regular movie tickets in NYC are now up to $15.00 at Regal Cinemas (for regular films, not 3-D, IMAX or any kind of luxury seating). :facepalm:

OK, I just saw ASM 2 today. My expectations were very low - the last film (ASM) did not work for me in any way, shape or form - Garfield and his twitchy tweaker vibe sucked, the low-rent special effects sucked (they couldn't CGI some more people into the background of NYC??), the Lizard sucked, it was way too soon after the Raimi trilogy and felt rehashed, and, oh, did I mention that IT SUCKED.

Which is why I was surprised that I actually thought ASM 2 was pretty good! It worked for me and was believable as an "Ultimate" version of the franchise. Garfield must have taken his Adderall because he was 90% less twitchy than in the first film. I didn't care much for Maxwell Dillon, but when he became Electro, I was on board - I thought he was played with real menace. I thought Stone was good (and I have no crush on her whatsoever) and that her part was written well. The excessive use of rotoscope-like slo-mo special effects was a bit annoying, but certainly did not detract much from an overall enjoyable film. Was it up to Raimi's Spidey 1 and Spidey 2 standards? No, but after the C- effort of the last one, I was very pleasantly surprised and would not be embarrassed to give this one a solid B+.

Oh, one more complaint: regular movie tickets in NYC are now up to $15.00 at Regal Cinemas (for regular films, not 3-D, IMAX or any kind of luxury seating). :facepalm:

I agree ASM 2 was pretty good. :cloud9:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I agree ASM 2 was pretty good. :cloud9:

I disagree, it was awful. Oh well, can't please everyone. Glad you guys liked it.

I'm trying to watch this suckfest-note to Hollywood Plutonium is not a green glowing fluid and is not stored in lucite cannisters-it is a grey metal like lead. Falling into a vat of electric eels will not give you super electro powers. A 'retroviral hyperplasia' could not be a genetic disorder as a retrovirus is an infection. Basically all the science in this thing is absolute compostable_fertilizer. The angst-y Harry O character has been done to death H-wood...

I'm trying to watch this suckfest-note to Hollywood Plutonium is not a green glowing fluid and is not stored in lucite cannisters-it is a grey metal like lead. Falling into a vat of electric eels will not give you super electro powers. A 'retroviral hyperplasia' could not be a genetic disorder as a retrovirus is an infection. Basically all the science in this thing is absolute compostable_fertilizer. The angst-y Harry O character has been done to death H-wood...

The more I think about the drek I saw a few weeks ago when I saw ASM2, the more I think it is one of the worst super-hero films ever made. On a level with Superman III. Only because the producers/director were given one of the greatest stories ever told in the history of comics -- The Night Gwen Stacy Died -- and they deliberately found multiple ways to butcher it.