• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

Ok, that movie stank.

Just sat through 2.5 hours of and cheesy -script.

There were a few good action sequences but I wouldn't have gone to see it if I knew it was going to be like this.

The Rhino blew chunks. Electro blew chunks (Batman Bale voice anyone?) and the Goblin blew chunks.

Sorry guys, I'd love to love it but this movie was written with 17 year olds in mind.

6/10 (5.0/5.5 if unpressed)

You say the movie stank, but gave it a 6?

A 6 is passing in my book.

It was an entertaining movie, and I am sure once people see it either a second time or watch it on TV they will come back ,and say jeez it wasn`t that bad or as bad as they say it was.

I now look forward to your X-Men: Days of Future Past review, as I would be interested to see if you think that will be a better movie then ASM 2.

Why? Because your point of reference I bet is much higher for X-Men because your a much bigger X-Men fan than a Spider-Man fan from what I gather.

I want to see if this point of reference idea process has something to do with liking a superhero movie or not. hm

A 6 is barely a pass and the only thing it had going for it was some of the web slinging, and of course Gwen.

I was an X-men fan but my point of reference is not my like or dislike of the characters. I hardly knew any of the characters in First Class but thought it was a terrific comic movie.

Spidey 2 was campy. Whenever I was watching Max Dillon I thougt I was watching a 1990's Batman movie. :sick:

The story was not great (too many moving parts but not particularly well done), some of the special effects were cheesy (I thought Electro looked poor and there were a few instances where Spidey looked like a video game) and the science in the movie was cheesy.

Overall, this move will do great for the younger demographic / teenage market but IMO that's about it. I might watch it again just to see if my opinion holds up but I have little desire to see it again. I'd put it a shade above Ghost Rider, which I have never seen. lol

Roy,

It is a million times better than Ghost Rider. Stop it. :baiting:

Yes I thought everyone knew the early issues of Spider-man were the OG of Twilight.

I thought the CGI was the BEST to ever grace any Spider-man movie. You can't have a realistic looking Spider-man without intense CGI.

If you think this movie was cheesy try re-watching Superman 1 or II with Christopher Reeve, what abolsute pieces-of-S.

He never saw Ghost Rider,so how would he know?

Oh yeah he probally saw a trailer of it.

Ghost Rider one was a pretty decent flick as well. :cloud9:

:eek:

Ok, that movie stank.

There were a few good action sequences but I wouldn't have gone to see it if I knew it was going to be like this.

The Rhino blew chunks. Electro blew chunks (Batman Bale voice anyone?) and the Goblin blew chunks.

Sorry guys, I'd love to love it but this movie was written with 17 year olds in mind.

It was an entertaining movie, and I am sure once people see it either a second time or watch it on TV they will come back ,and say jeez it wasn`t that bad or as bad as they say it was.

I now look forward to your X-Men: Days of Future Past review, as I would be interested to see if you think that will be a better movie then ASM 2.

Why? Because your point of reference I bet is much higher for X-Men because your a much bigger X-Men fan than a Spider-Man fan from what I gather.

I want to see if this point of reference idea process has something to do with liking a superhero movie or not. hm

A 6 is barely a pass and the only thing it had going for it was some of the web slinging, and of course Gwen.

I was an X-men fan but my point of reference is not my like or dislike of the characters. I hardly knew any of the characters in First Class but thought it was a terrific comic movie.

Spidey 2 was campy. Whenever I was watching Max Dillon I thougt I was watching a 1990's Batman movie. :sick:

The story was not great (too many moving parts but not particularly well done), some of the special effects were cheesy (I thought Electro looked poor and there were a few instances where Spidey looked like a video game) and the science in the movie was cheesy.

Overall, this move will do great for the younger demographic / teenage market but IMO that's about it. I might watch it again just to see if my opinion holds up but I have little desire to see it again. I'd put it a shade above Ghost Rider, which I have never seen. lol

I grew up a Spider-man fan. I called John Romita long distance at Marvel Comics when I was 13 years old. (Boy, did I get in trouble for that!)

Never was a X-Men fan, really ever. Just never really got into it all that much.

But like you said, I thought X-Men First Class was a terrific comic book movie. Now I want to go see Days of Future Past really bad.

I thought ASM was lame and have no desire to waste my time seeing anything else Sony has to present in this series.

ASM is SOOOOO Joel Schumacher.

Why do I get the feeling if Rotten Tomatoes says X-MEN Days of Future Past sucks you will be one of the first people jumping on the Rotten Tomatoes bandwagon?

I wonder how many other board members will do the same thing?

If your going to critique a movie at least watch it. :baiting:

I respect someone`s opinion much more about a movie or comic book if they actually watch or read it, then someone who goes by hearsay.

Let`s see how many board members dog X-MEN Days of Future Past if Rotten Tomatoes dogs it. hm

I'm already on the record for saying DOFP is going to be good. I stand by that.

My gut is generally pretty good at choosing movies.

Ok, that movie stank.

Roy,

Yes I thought everyone knew the early issues of Spider-man were the OG of Twilight.

I thought the CGI was the BEST to ever grace any Spider-man movie. You can't have a realistic looking Spider-man without intense CGI.

If you think this movie was cheesy try re-watching Superman 1 or II with Christopher Reeve, what abolsute pieces-of-S.

It was entertaining!

Ok, that movie stank.

I grew up a Spider-man fan. I called John Romita long distance at Marvel Comics when I was 13 years old. (Boy, did I get in trouble for that!)

Never was a X-Men fan, really ever. Just never really got into it all that much.

But like you said, I thought X-Men First Class was a terrific comic book movie. Now I want to go see Days of Future Past really bad.

I thought ASM was lame and have no desire to waste my time seeing anything else Sony has to present in this series.

Why do I get the feeling if Rotten Tomatoes says X-MEN Days of Future Past sucks you will be one of the first people jumping on the Rotten Tomatoes bandwagon?

I respect someone`s opinion much more about a movie or comic book if they actually watch or read it, then someone who goes by hearsay.

Let`s see how many board members dog X-MEN Days of Future Past if Rotten Tomatoes dogs it. hm

I don't read Rotten Tomatoes.

I think I've read maybe two reviews off of there ever in the 20 plus years they've been around.

Ok, that movie stank.

Roy,

It was entertaining!

It was a turd. No wonder you like this new Ultimate Twilight Spider-man.

Ok, that movie stank.

Roy,

It was entertaining!

Chuck obviously the Spider-man movies are not living up to your childhood readership of Spider-man.

I have read the Lee/Ditko issues and to me they are living up it mostly just fine. No movie can make me go back and feel I can relate to HS years nor to I want them to. Garfield and Emma did a great job of building their relationship on screen so I don't know how high your expectations were, but I am def not sure how any director can meet them. I know everyone has different opinions, and I will be the first to say ASM 2 wasn't an all time great, but it def wasn't a bad movie.

Comic book fans to me are very attached to their favorite characters and if in film they don't come out exactly how the fan visions it then of course they lash out and say the movie was a turd. I can see how universally people think ASM 3 (raimi) was a turd because they went a 360 away from everything from the comics, but ASM 2 I won't agree with that view ever.

Same reason I don't understand how for what people loved about Avengers they have distaste for in MOS.

Not sure what else there is to talk about on this issue anymore.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Ok, that movie stank.

Roy,

It was entertaining!

Chuck obviously the Spider-man movies are not living up to your childhood readership of Spider-man.

I have read the Lee/Ditko issues and to me they are living up it mostly just fine. No movie can make me go back and feel I can relate to HS years nor to I want them to. Garfield and Emma did a great job of building their relationship on screen so I don't know how high your expectations were, but I am def not sure how any director can meet them. I know everyone has different opinions, and I will be the first to say ASM 2 wasn't an all time great, but it def wasn't a bad movie.

Comic book fans to me are very attached to their favorite characters and if in film they don't come out exactly how the fan visions it then of course they lash out and say the movie was a turd.

What you stated is so true, and that`s why Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man will be huge surprise hits. They have no great sources in the comic book world to be compared to like Lee and Ditko`s Spider-Man, Frank Miller`s Batman, Frank Miller`s Daredevil, Alan Moore`s Swamp Thing and Byrne and Claremont's X-men, so they will be considered surprise positive hits!

We won`t be having old time comic book readers say damn this Ant-Man movie and Guardians of the Galaxy movie has nothing to do with the comic books because Ant-Man never really had a great source and Guardians great source was not read by most old-time comic book readers, so they don`t know what they missed.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Ok, that movie stank.

Roy,

It was entertaining!

Comic book fans to me are very attached to their favorite characters and if in film they don't come out exactly how the fan visions it then of course they lash out and say the movie was a turd.

What you stated is so true, and that`s why Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man will be huge surprise hits. They have no great sources in the comic book world to be compared to like Lee and Ditko`s Spider-Man, Frank Miller`s Batman, Frank Miller`s Daredevil, Alan Moore`s Swamp Thing and Byrne and Claremont's X-men, so they will be considered surprise positive hits!

We won`t be having old time comic book readers say damn this Ant-Man movie and Guardians of the Galaxy has nothing to do with the comic books because Ant-man never really had a great source and Guardians great source was not read by most old-time comic book readers, so they don`t know what they missed.

Will they win Academy Awards? :grin:

Ok, that movie stank.

I don't read Rotten Tomatoes.

I think I've read maybe two reviews off of there ever in the 20 plus years they've been around.

Well, it should be interesting to see what board members jump on the bash X-MEN Days of Future Past bandwagon if X-MEN Days of Future Past doesn`t get good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes or does worst box office then ASM 2. I can see it now some board members will say :gossip: I knew it was going to be a turd because I could tell by the trailer I saw. lol

My advice to comic book folks is go watch the movies instead of looking at the trailers to form your own opinions about ASM 2 or other movies before listening to hearsay.

IMHO.

Ok, that movie stank.

Roy,

It was entertaining!

We won`t be having old time comic book readers say damn this Ant-Man movie and Guardians of the Galaxy has nothing to do with the comic books because Ant-man never really had a great source and Guardians great source was not read by most old-time comic book readers, so they don`t know what they missed.

Will they win Academy Awards? :grin:

If Argo can win the Academy Award for Best Picture,then anything can if marketed right.

Even the director of Argo Ben Affleck knows it is much more profitable to be in the superhero movie business or he wouldn`t have signed up to play Batman.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Ok, that movie stank.

Roy,

It was entertaining!

We won`t be having old time comic book readers say damn this Ant-Man movie and Guardians of the Galaxy movie has nothing to do with the comic books because Ant-Man never really had a great source and Guardians great source was not read by most old-time comic book readers, so they don`t know what they missed.

The problem with ASM2 are not solely due to it's liberties with the stories as compared to the comic; ASM2 was just a bad movie. The motivation for both villains is shallow. Electro the "civilian" scenes were a joke. There is not story, but a series of scenes ala a soap opera. The campy Spider-Man scenes are bad (here is Spidey wearing a fireman's hat, here is Spidey acting weird because of a megaphone, etc.) The only thing this movie has going for it are the great CGI battles and the Gwen/Peter storyline. Everything else drug this movie down into mediocrity or worse.

Edited by rjrjr

The only thing this movie has going for it are the great CGI battles and the Gwen/Peter storyline. Everything else drug this movie down into mediocrity or worse.

Fully agree. I actually had tears in my eyes when Gwen passed, even though I knew it was going to happen.

They still should have had it happen on the bridge. :sumo:

The only thing this movie has going for it are the great CGI battles and the Gwen/Peter storyline. Everything else drug this movie down into mediocrity or worse.

Fully agree. I actually had tears in my eyes when Gwen passed, even though I knew it was going to happen.

It made no sense that they went from the bridge to a building out of Tim Burton's Batman for that scene. It was like they were wanting to off the fans. The whole movie was a wasted opportunity.

Edited by rjrjr

Yeah if I am going to criticize the movie that is #1.

When I saw Peter swing her up to the bridge I was like.......OMG here we gooooooo

It made no sense that they went from the bridge to a building out of Tim Burton's Batman for that scene. It was like they were wanting to of the fans. The whole movie was a wasted opportunity.

I did have a few 'throwback moments' in the movie where I felt like the director was trying to pay homage to the 1989 Batman movie. I can't remember which scenes but yeah, I was sure I spotted a few things.

Yeah if I am going to criticize the movie that is #1.

When I saw Peter swing her up to the bridge I was like.......OMG here we gooooooo

Don't think they did the Green Goblin bridge scene because it was already done in Spider-Man 1.

The clock tower was kinda neat when the spinning clock stopped at 1:21 . That was a cool nod to the books.