• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Comic Book Day 2014

94 posts in this topic

My day was a little hectic. Got up at around 6:30, and left at 7, went over to one of the shops I don't normally go to since its a little out of my way, but they have some of the best inventory, and with everything except toys 50% off how I couldn't resist. When I got their the store wasn't gonna open for another 40 minutes, but the line was already surprisingly long.

20140503_073516_zps482c9266.jpgThis picture doesn't really do it justice in all honestly, there was tons of people more in front out of sight of this pic with more lining up behind me every minute.

All the stores around me had a limit of 3 so not worth standing in lines for.

My kids got five each. I got two RR and two Guardians of Galaxy. Darn, all copies were stamped.

Also, I ordered three more FCBD books via my favorite LCS online. That LSC does not stamp the books but they limited three like you had.

I went with my son today. First shop had a line out the door and was packed. There is another shop right down the street that I go to often so...I went there literally no crown....my son got the 5 comics he wanted including the rocket raccoon and GOTG....which we are reading together in about 5 minutes.

He is 9 years old and says that Rocket Raccoon is fierce! Fun day overall.

It was like Black Friday for comic people, thats the only way I can describe it. Surprisingly they let everybody in at once which I thought was a little nuts considering hoe small the store is compared. When I stepped in it was a literal mad house, people already running to the counter to grab wall books, trades getting taken by the dozen that a lot of people could get by in some spots. They were even handing out boxes in the back since people were buying such large volumes(I bought a huge amount myself). One of the employees at the counter was on a miniature step ladder and was constantly grabbing books off the wall taking request from ten people all yelling out at once what books they wanted. The free books were ok actually eve though a lot were getting taken, they were constantly getting restock so everybody could get them. By the time I left the line to checkout was huge, starting from the entrance going in the back, then to the front to check out.

That wasn't the end of it though I decided to stop by my regular shop to pick up my pull list, since I knew it wouldn't be nearly as packed as the shop I just left. Getting there the environment wasn't in a frenzy at all there were a few people their mostly just parent with their kids. They also had a huge inventory of the free comic titles left, especially of the rocket raccoon. You could get up to 5 free, but since I was a regular the owner told me I could grab some extras if I wanted which was nice of him. The writer of the story for the free Rocket Raccoon book was there doing a free signing which explained to extra Raccoons. It turns out he also did a backup story in ASM 1, and was signing those as well which was cool. After hanging there a little I called it a day, and want through my loot.

All in all it was a pretty good day.

What I got.

20140503_214950_zps64335d5f.jpg20140503_214712_zps21b7e553.jpg20140503_214659_zps20eca929.jpg

I went to the main Bedrock shop at 10:30 am, and the line was 200 deep already.

I mainly go to pick up books to send to my nephew, since they don't have a shop very close to them, but I did pick up a couple for me to see if I was interested in the stories. For me, it was worth the hour I spent in line to get books for him because he loves to read (Like my parents used to tell my brother and I, I always tell him that I won't say "no" to an appropriate book, if he wants it and asks politely.)

I grabbed him a Mouse Guard, a Mega Man, and an Avatar/Last Airbender. The last two, I know he likes (his dog is named Mega Man).

I usually make sure to make a purchase, as well, and when the line went past the trades, I grabbed a couple I had been wanting to read.

Thanks to all of the retailers who participate in this activity. I saw a lot of kids there, and that's not only good for the hobby, but getting them interested in reading is a great thing. Special thanks to Richard, Chris, and the rest of the Bedrock gang who were working so hard today.

Am I the only person who avoids the comic shop like the plague on FCBD? I went to the first couple years back, but hated the lines, crowds, etc. Since my modern collecting is down to Star Wars comics and mostly indies 99% of my modern purchases are from DCBS and I have been just fine the past few years picking my 5 free comics from their site.

I'm happy for the people that love this sort of thing. I'm sure they appreciate my not going and dragging my 2 children (12 and 15 years old) in tow.

What's weird is I love going to comic cons. FCBD, not so much.

Am I the only person who avoids the comic shop like the plague on FCBD? I went to the first couple years back, but hated the lines, crowds, etc. Since my modern collecting is down to Star Wars comics and mostly indies 99% of my modern purchases are from DCBS and I have been just fine the past few years picking my 5 free comics from their site.

I'm happy for the people that love this sort of thing. I'm sure they appreciate my not going and dragging my 2 children (12 and 15 years old) in tow.

What's weird is I love going to comic cons. FCBD, not so much.

I'm sure you're not the only one. I tend to avoid crowds, and I usually despise lines, but I actually enjoyed it today. . . maybe because I wasn't really doing it for me, and because people seemed to be having a really good time.

My friend's store was cleaned out of books within two hours of opening, and he had significantly upped his orders this year. He said it was an absolute madhouse, but that, as usual, most of the new customers just scooped up all the freebies and left without purchasing anything.

I keep trying to persuade him to hire me to stand at the counter and shame people. A judgmental stare and a "Seriously? 20 free books and you don't even have enough of a sense of dignity and gratitude to buy one measly book from the store hosting this event?" And then I'll just follow them to their cars and keep shaking my head as they buckle up.

For some reason, he won't let me.

My friend's store was cleaned out of books within two hours of opening, and he had significantly upped his orders this year. He said it was an absolute madhouse, but that, as usual, most of the new customers just scooped up all the freebies and left without purchasing anything.

I keep trying to persuade him to hire me to stand at the counter and shame people. A judgmental stare and a "Seriously? 20 free books and you don't even have enough of a sense of dignity and gratitude to buy one measly book from the store hosting this event?" And then I'll just follow them to their cars and keep shaking my head as they buckle up.

It sounds like he needs to institute a limit on the free comic books. Back when I use to go, most stories limited it to 5 free comics. Letting someone pick up one of each or even 20 seems grossly unfair to the patrons that show up 2 hours after opening.

It sounds like he needs to institute a limit on the free comic books. Back when I use to go, most stories limited it to 5 free comics. Letting someone pick up one of each or even 20 seems grossly unfair to the patrons that show up 2 hours after opening.

20 might be an exaggeration. He limits them to 1 apiece on each title. I'm not sure what the limit on different titles is. But there's definitely a huge faction of "I don't give a **** about these things, but... FREE!!!!!!!" and they don't show up again til next year. He believes he picks up a couple new real customers each year and keeps enough aside for the kids that at least they get something out of it.

When he ran out of the free comic books, he put a bunch of lower-end stock out for free, but it seems people were only interested in the "official" releases.

I didn't get there today until after the freebies were gone. I was amused by the people who trickled in late and were then indignant when told the free books were gone. They seemed to think it was some kind of national law and that they were entitled to received free comic books on Free Comic Book Day, gosh darn it! And they were also clearly on to their 3rd or 4th store of the day.

20 might be an exaggeration. He limits them to 1 apiece on each title. I'm not sure what the limit on different titles is. But there's definitely a huge faction of "I don't give a **** about these things, but... FREE!!!!!!!" and they don't show up again til next year. He believes he picks up a couple new real customers each year and keeps enough aside for the kids that at least they get something out of it.

When he ran out of the free comic books, he put a bunch of lower-end stock out for free, but it seems people were only interested in the "official" releases.

I didn't get there today until after the freebies were gone. I was amused by the people who trickled in late and were then indignant when told the free books were gone. They seemed to think it was some kind of national law and that they were entitled to received free comic books on Free Comic Book Day, gosh darn it! And they were also clearly on to their 3rd or 4th store of the day.

I can understand the frustration from the stragglers. Also, I'll bet not all of them were on their 3rd or 4th store. When I use to go, I would purposely wait until later in the day when the crowds were not a frenzied. I was interested in the free comics, but I also wanted to look through the back stock that was always discounted 50%.

This year, I went to the usual two LCSs on Friday (All About Books and Comics and Samurai Comics) to pick up my supplies (500 bags, 500 boards, 5 boxes) and did a quick whirl around both stores to see if there were any Marvel Star Wars back issues. (I came up empty handed, as usual.) I would have waited until next week for the supplies, but I remember waiting one year and the stores were out of supplies the week after FCBD. My wife was upset with me because I had comics stacked on the dinning room table for *weeks* waiting to be bagged and boarded and put into my collection. I only hit the LCSs about every 2 or 3 months these days as they are not so L any more. :( When Atomic Comics closed, my closest store became these 2 stores.)