• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Comic Book Day 2014

94 posts in this topic

My only limit was one of each title per person. I also had a few kids only items. Had a line around the building waiting for me to open. Ran a 10% off everything in the store, with higher discounts off select items (GN and TPB overstock, etc).

The first 1/2 hour was like a plague of locusts. People sure do like free! lol

Do you feel like the investment in the books for FCBD is worth it? I get the impression from others here that either they don't invest much into it for their own stores, or the stores they frequent don't invest much to make FCBD an event.

Yeah, I think it's worth it, provided you understand what it is, and what you get out of it. For me, it makes for a great day. It's fun, the store is packed, and enough of those in it spend enough money to make it the best Saturday of the year. Factor in the fact that a new Magic set released yesterday, and sales numbers were excellent.

As for it actually producing new regular customers, that'd be a nice bonus to it. :)

I went to the library today with my son and there was a full table of free comics.

My local library in a suburb of Vancouver, BC also supported FCBD. Best way to :headbang: reach out to new, young comic readers who don't normally visit a LCS.

I went to Showcase Comics in Bryn Mawr, PA. They were VERY generous with the FCBD books. (thumbs u

They let you take as many as you wanted (only limit was 1 per book, no doubles). But they said take anything that you'd be interested in reading. So I took a bunch of books to read.

I made sure to say thank you. Remember, the shops pay for the books. They aren't free for the stores. So it doesn't surprise me other shops limit how many you can take. It's very generous of the stores that let people take a bunch of them. 2c

I went to 2 stores today.

One was 2 free comics, then get 2 more with each book you buy.

The other was 2 free comics, then 50 cents for each additional.

I was fine either way, and ended up getting the 7 I was looking for.

Snagged 2000AD, VWars, Rocket Racoon, Guardians of the Galazy, Futures End, Itty Bitty Hellboy. Uber and Rise of the Magi for the heck of it.

I also bought a few extra kids comics to give out later.

Went to my local store after work. They only had one title left.

Asked them to hold some of the kids books for my daughter but no such luck.

Overall a waste of time.

It's tough to hold stuff, especially if you have a deep client base. It's the busiest day of the year for stores.

Also, most people don't realize it but store owners pay for those 'free' books so kudos to all the owners who go out of their way to put on a terrific Free Comic Book Day!

(worship)

. That Rocket Raccoon #1 has the same image as the print that came with the stuffed RR from NYCC. Did anyone manage to snag an extra? I'd like to keep it for my daughter since she has the stuffed RR/print.

Peace,

Chip

Chip,

I have an extra I will send out for ya.

John

:applause:

I have been sending out my extra's to people that need them but I guess some people are selling them on EBAY already at 3-4 bucks a pop plus shipping.

FCBD should be Free imo but wth do I know.

I have been sending out my extra's to people that need them but I guess some people are selling them on EBAY already at 3-4 bucks a pop plus shipping.

If it's for someone's kid or personal collection I think it's great to help out. That's what it's all about.

If people are asking for them just to flip, that's low unless they specify as such ahead of time.

I frigging hate it when someone says they're buying for their personal and then turn around and sell it.

If it's for someone's kid or personal collection I think it's great to help out. That's what it's all about.

If people are asking for them just to flip, that's low unless they specify as such ahead of time.

I frigging hate it when someone says they're buying for their personal and then turn around and sell it.

Guy was on Facebook and linked to his EBAY he had like 20 of each book for sale......

So whats with the hype with the Mouse Guards?

Went to 3 shops.

first one has a loose limit of 3, not enforced.

my regular shop had a limit of 3, and 1 extras for canned food or book donation, however they had a sweet 35% off everything, got a TPB, and like 5 issues. Was also a mini street fair with a local artist alley doing sketches.

3rd shop, the biggest one, has a limit of 1, but 5 extra if you spend 5 bucks. But with the regular FCBD issues, he also put a ton of his regular stock out there as free. There were Superman Unchained, Thanos Rising, and a bunch of New 52 and Marvel Now issues for free. I got Age of Ultron 1 as I've been curious about it. Place had a bunch of cosplay.

It was fun, but a bit claustrophobic at times hence I didn't stay long at all, that and the longer I stay, the more money I spend, there's a direct correlation.

Guy was on Facebook and linked to his EBAY he had like 20 of each book for sale......

Ah, gotcha. So he'd picked up his own books and was now selling them.

I suppose that's fair as if someone really wants one to fill runs and are willing to pay for it that's their choice. It's probably a fair workaround for those who couldn't make it to stores today but would need to spend time / money getting there anyway.

My LCS took the opportunity to get out there Silver age back issues they normally don't carry in store.

I came home with this -

E76D0B08-7174-49AA-B4D8-2D38030A84D2_zpslerjzwp4.jpg

Wow how much did you pay for that jim 103? ive been seeking that one.

So whats with the hype with the Mouse Guards?

Went to 3 shops.

first one has a loose limit of 3, not enforced.

my regular shop had a limit of 3, and 1 extras for canned food or book donation, however they had a sweet 35% off everything, got a TPB, and like 5 issues. Was also a mini street fair with a local artist alley doing sketches.

3rd shop, the biggest one, has a limit of 1, but 5 extra if you spend 5 bucks. But with the regular FCBD issues, he also put a ton of his regular stock out there as free. There were Superman Unchained, Thanos Rising, and a bunch of New 52 and Marvel Now issues for free. I got Age of Ultron 1 as I've been curious about it. Place had a bunch of cosplay.

It was fun, but a bit claustrophobic at times hence I didn't stay long at all, that and the longer I stay, the more money I spend, there's a direct correlation.

i'm guessing just because its hardcover

I drove from Michigan City IN to South Bend IN to help my good friend Len out with FCBD at his store, Knappy's Comics and Collectibles. It was a great turnout, the majority of people that came in browsed around the store and made purchases.

There are way too many stores that don't utilize the event the way it should be. They seem to lose sight of the fact that the whole point of it is to get the books into the hands of people that don't normally read comic books. It's not intended for the books to go to people that already collect comics or for them to be flipped on eBay. 2c

. That Rocket Raccoon #1 has the same image as the print that came with the stuffed RR from NYCC. Did anyone manage to snag an extra? I'd like to keep it for my daughter since she has the stuffed RR/print.

Peace,

Chip

Chip,

I have an extra I will send out for ya.

John

Wow, thanks!

Wait a sec...John? When did you get back? What happened to ya?

Welcome back!

Peace,

Chip

I drove from Michigan City IN to South Bend IN to help my good friend Len out with FCBD at his store, Knappy's Comics and Collectibles. It was a great turnout, the majority of people that came in browsed around the store and made purchases.

There are way too many stores that don't utilize the event the way it should be. They seem to lose sight of the fact that the whole point of it is to get the books into the hands of people that don't normally read comic books. It's not intended for the books to go to people that already collect comics or for them to be flipped on eBay. 2c

i think the Guardians of the Galaxy ones were good ideas with the trailers already being out there, the kids ones again is a good idea but you're right with books like Forever Evil etc

We really didnt enforce any real limits. Gave out over 5000 comics in 6 hours. I'm beat but we had a lot of fun

image_zpsa93834c0.jpg

From 930 to 12:12 I didn't stop hitting the register keys. At one point it was an hour from end of line to register. Outside of Black Friday, fcbd is busiest day of the year.

image_zps967c38b2.jpg