• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The comic that has most influenced you?

63 posts in this topic

Hey guys

Just wondering what stories/particular books most influenced you in both your collecting and everyday life. This doesn't mean your most valuable book or even the favorite book in your collection but the book/books you specifically remember sparking an interest in the medium.

My earliest comic book memories are reading 1980s copies of Mad magazine and reprints of issues 1-6 which I read over and over until the covers fell off.

First one was Incredible Hulk King Size Special #1 I just loved the cover.

Much later, when I was considering giving up comic books, a friend gave me a copy of Sandman #8 which got me hooked again.

As funny as it sounds, Spawn 7. I grew up in the 90's, was a little kid back then and knew very little about comics. One day I saw a classmate reading in class, I saw the cover and thought it was really cool; super hero, guns, the art, etc... The art was what really caught my eye. So asked him what it was.

He told me about Spawn, and showed me some of the other issues. I was like 'wow, something other than the usual Heroes; Spiderman, Superman, etc...' So I took interest after that.

Looking back, I'm so glad I was a little kid back then. If I was an adult and making the money that I make now, I would have invested so much on 90's worth nothing right now.

I don't think I can nail it down to just one book,rather a succession of books.My first comics were Gold keys,and Beetle Bailey.then my next phase was Sgt. Rock,and Spider-Man,every one of these has shaped or influenced me.If I had to nail it down it would be ASM of the mid sixties,what a great time to have been a kid. :cloud9:

The earliest superhero book I remember buying at the store was this while visiting my grandparents in Adrian, MI. I still remember debating between this and a Giant-Size or FF Annual. I think I was 10 at the time and Superfriends probably influenced my choice.

dcsuper7.jpg

This is one that is special to me as this was the first book I bought that started me collecting. One of my best friends mentioned that people collect comics and we went to the drugstore and this hooked me. It sent me on my JLA quest.

jla156.jpg

While I had read X-Men #107 at a friend's house, X-Men #138 was what drove me into the X-Men universe. Soon after came #141 which I still feel was one of the great comics of all time. I still remember when I bought it and where I was reading it. Truly the art of telling a great story over 2 issues. Made you want more but didn't draw it out to make a TPB.

There are so many others like Conan, etc. but these capture the start.

this may sound crazy being born in 83' but even as a youngster I was most amazed with wall books...My best friends folks would drive me and him up to Toledo Ohio (which was about an hour and half drive) and they would take us to JC's Comics Stop!! I will never forget seeing a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #53 up on the top near the ceiling...I loved Doc Ock and needed to have it...My friend Scott walked out of there with a ton of Modern Spawns and things and I left with only one book...ASM #53 :cloud9: NUFF SAID!!

Groo Pacific #1

DD #27 & TOS #57

Great to see another GROO in here.

Mine is Epic GROO issue 1. I was on 3rd grade and took the book to school and drew the cover over and over.

Also at a friends house and being introduced to TMNT! When I found a comic shop the first issue I bought was TMNT 11. That was the most recent issue at the time.

ASM 121 and 122, Detective 395, the GA reprints in Feiffer's Great Comic Book Heroes and in Batman: From the Thirties to the Seventies(especially the repros of GA covers), DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 20(reprints of the first three GA Two Face stories, plus cool GA Spectre and Dr. Midnite reprints).

As a kid:

DD 181

UXM 137

GI Joe 21

Flaming Carrot 5

Grendel (Comico) 1

Judge Dredd 1 and the other Eagle/Titan reprints of 2000AD stuff

As an adult:

Star Spangled War Stories 151

Hot Wheels 5

Creepy 62 (Wrightson illustrates Poe's "The Black Cat")

Jonah Hex 1

Our Love Story 1

Special Marvel Edition 15

I think for a lot of kids growing up in the 50s and 60s Mad Magazine was a huge influence. It taught us to question what we were being told by the larger culture ( particularly in advertising) and that irreverence towards authority was a good thing.

While there are other comics, characters and creators that have helped to direct my interests in the medium over the years, I don't think anything else had as much influence, not just on my attitudes towards the world, but also my comic tastes as Mad contributed to an interest in EC and by extension pre-code crime and horror, as well as underground comics and their descendents.