• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

Great inking? Every single line on this page is the same thickness. lol

+1,000,000

It's the reason why there is zero depth on the page, it looks like all the characters are pasted on top of one another.

Back to the original point of the thread, I have to say that this is the winner for me. I've got nothing against this cover.

image_zpsc86996f0.jpg

splash-page-amazing-spider-man-2.jpg

thats because it's Ditko's

Back to the original point of the thread, I have to say that this is the winner for me. I've got nothing against this cover.

image_zpsc86996f0.jpg

At least he gave credit...compared to all the swiping he's done since.

image_zpsc86996f0.jpg

Probably McFarlane that actually gave the credit, as he did on several occasions when he did this sort of thing.

image_zpsc86996f0.jpg

Probably McFarlane that actually gave the credit, as he did on several occasions when he did this sort of thing.

I figured as much, but I thought I'd give the benefit of the doubt lol

image_zpsc86996f0.jpg

it's in McFarlane's writing

image_zpsc86996f0.jpg

lol what is up with Rustys pants in this pic how are they even staying on haha

Quickly: summarize the plot of X-Force #1, using 15 words or less.

Here's an example:

Swamp Things #21: The Anatomy Lesson: Alan Moore completely rewrites Swampy's origins, while remaining true to all that came before.

Do you understand what the word "plot" means?

"Alan Moore rewrites Swampy's origins" is not a plot.

Maybe it's a marketing blurb or something you solicit in Previews, but it's not a plot. What exactly happens in this issue? What drives the action forward?

Now you try.

Is this a trick question? Maybe it is because you don't understand what a plot is?

OK, here goes:

X-Force finally confronts the MLF on their home turf, before settling into their new headquarters.

That's a plot. I certainly have a better idea of what happens in that issue than I do what happens in yours.

Oh, and huge props on your counter-argument to my asking for an example of an artist you liked. Was I foolish to assume you understood what the word "artist" meant? An artist is the guy that draws the pictures. Providing Alan Moore as an example really shows a cunning understanding of the medium!

Or, for the sake of objective analysis.

Cover the word balloons. Now tell me what's happening.

YOU CAN'T, because the page consists of nothing but POSES.

What? Of course I can. It seems clear to me. Maybe that's because I understand what a plot or an artist is?

Heroes arrive guns blazing. Villains emerge to confront them. Heroes briefly discuss tactics before one leaps into the fray.

Did you not follow that? Was it because there were no lamps visible?

I honestly can't think of a single artist out there other than Liefeld where people will argue tooth and nail that he's horrible and terrible, often without having seen or read his work, or by simply pointing to the same tired examples again and again.

This is a straw man argument. No one who has commented here has done what you claimed.

Calendar still stuck huh? Bummer.

But please, enlighten me on your brilliance - name another artist people are so quick to rail against?

The issue I particularly criticized when i wrote that review twenty years ago it’s this one (I recalled #5 but is actually #3).

Basically, there is nothing right on this cover, starting from perspective, and although the layout choice could have been interesting, the rest does not work.

For example: you have to figure out whether Shatterstar has been reduced by Hank Pym's portion, given the proportions he has compared to the Juggernaut, given he’s about the size of one of his arms.

One could argue the cover is "surrealistic", like that one where the Dark Phoenix embraces the X-Men logo, but that is clearly not the intent here. :(

X-Force_003_Vol1991_Marvel__ComiClash.jpg

The purpose of a cover is to draw the audience in and make them pick up the book. Even with mistakes, this is an eye catching layout and cover.

I honestly can't think of a single artist out there other than Liefeld where people will argue tooth and nail that he's horrible and terrible, often without having seen or read his work, or by simply pointing to the same tired examples again and again.

This is a straw man argument. No one who has commented here has done what you claimed.

But please, enlighten me on your brilliance - name another artist people are so quick to rail against?

Ramos

Quickly: summarize the plot of X-Force #1, using 15 words or less.

Here's an example:

Swamp Things #21: The Anatomy Lesson: Alan Moore completely rewrites Swampy's origins, while remaining true to all that came before.

Do you understand what the word "plot" means?

"Alan Moore rewrites Swampy's origins" is not a plot.

Maybe it's a marketing blurb or something you solicit in Previews, but it's not a plot. What exactly happens in this issue? What drives the action forward?

Now you try.

Is this a trick question? Maybe it is because you don't understand what a plot is?

OK, here goes:

X-Force finally confronts the MLF on their home turf, before settling into their new headquarters.

That's a plot. I certainly have a better idea of what happens in that issue than I do what happens in yours.

Oh, and huge props on your counter-argument to my asking for an example of an artist you liked. Was I foolish to assume you understood what the word "artist" meant? An artist is the guy that draws the pictures. Providing Alan Moore as an example really shows a cunning understanding of the medium!

Or, for the sake of objective analysis.

Cover the word balloons. Now tell me what's happening.

YOU CAN'T, because the page consists of nothing but POSES.

What? Of course I can. It seems clear to me. Maybe that's because I understand what a plot or an artist is?

Heroes arrive guns blazing. Villains emerge to confront them. Heroes briefly discuss tactics before one leaps into the fray.

Did you not follow that? Was it because there were no lamps visible?

what gives away home turf and headquarters? you know that because you've read it

all the art gives away it that there is a group of people who end up charging another group of people

Al Milgrom, Don Heck :P

For me great artwork tells a story, like RMA said you should be able to tell what is happening with just the artwork.

Pages should have balance and flow, the compositions should lead your eye across the image, Liefeld's overuse of splash style imagery and poses doesn't do this at all.

His negative space is awful and does nothing to add to the pictures.

I agree with you that the best comics are all about storytelling above all else, at least in comics. Give me a Carl Barks page or a Frank Miller page any day and I'll be happy.

And you're right that Liefeld never spotted blacks or used negative space well

The splashiness of the pages was the era though and almost every book that was out there.

That said, it's not Liefeld's storytelling or use of blacks that draws me to his work, just like I don't judge Barks on his details or Miller on his sanity.

I think Rob liefeld and humberto ramos should do a book together written by Frank miller in his crazy stage supervised by Current alan Moore such win would happen lol

Edited by mob_medina7

I knew nothing about Liefeld til someone used him as a bad example so I google imaged his name and immediately formed my own opinions as tears rolled down my cheeks laughing. Then I started reading websites devoted to him but my initial assessment was solely my own.

You realize it's a self fulfilling issue, right?

The vast majority of people posting images are the ones mocking him, which then generate the most traffic, which then ranks those images higher.

Just google Liefeld and go to images.

Half the content are the same common images used to mock him, including ones that directly point out flaws.