• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

I think after 51 pages we've figured out that RabidFerret has said he knows his storytelling is poor, he cuts huge corners and misses deadlines, he can't draw hands feet or any human anatomy, spot blacks and his backgrounds are either rushed or none existant. His compositions are poor and he only really wants to draw splash pages, he can't draw hairlines or grasp how weaponry is held....where was i going?

I think after 51 pages we've figured out that RabidFerret has said he knows his storytelling is poor, he cuts huge corners and misses deadlines, he can't draw hands feet or any human anatomy, spot blacks and his backgrounds are either rushed or none existant. His compositions are poor and he only really wants to draw splash pages, he can't draw hairlines or grasp how weaponry is held....where was i going?

That despite all of that he likes him.

Folks, understand that this is a real, honest intervention we have going on here, and like all interventions, the person in need is going to lash out, make angry accusations against others, and fight it for as long as they can...but in the end, they'll come around.

We just need to press on.

:cloud9:

Folks, understand that this is a real, honest intervention we have going on here, and like all interventions, the person in need is going to lash out, make angry accusations against others, and fight it for as long as they can...but in the end, they'll come around.

We just need to press on.

:cloud9:

8n9ka.jpg

lol Have absolutely no idea what's going on here...

NewMutants98p10-11_zps8af44f63.jpg

i have no clue

Page one seems to be about some chick squatting and some dude trying to do the splits and getting angry he can't

i have no clue

Page one seems to be about some chick squatting and some dude trying to do the splits and getting angry he can't

panel 4....are those the same people? if so why are they nude? and what is the pose in the same panel

Oh my God, this is hilarious...

NewMutants98p8-9_zps62e534fc.jpg

I have to say that's an odd shaped coffee cup. How on earth do you set it down?

So, in addition to feet, Rob can't draw the bottoms of cups?? :o

Page 1, panel 1: (Boom Boom is sitting on the counter, despite being told numerous times by Cable that they prepare food there. Yuck! Rictor is practicing his fierce Ninja Warrior poses in front of Bart Simpson poster)

Boom-Boom: "This counter is a little sticky, has someone been sitting on it...?"

Rictor: "Be quiet, you're breaking my concentration!"

Boom-Boom: "I need a sandwich."

Rictor: "Shut UP, I said!"

Panel 2: (Rictor has an epileptic seizure)

Rictor: "I'm....having...a....sei...zure....."

Panel 3: (Closeup of BB's face)

BB "Um, ew. Gross. Don't shart yourself."

Panel 4: (wide shot of Rictor and BB)

Rictor: "Don't...just...stand...there...give...me....some...help"

Panel 5: (BB grabs a pitcher on the counter)

BB: "Here, maybe if I throw this water all over you, that will help."

I just realized she's supposed to be sitting on that table-dude you can't just superposition a figure onto a sitting surface you have to draw what actually happens to the body when it sits-the butt flattens out etc...wtf?

And let me ask - have you ever inked?

Yes, yes, as a matter of fact, I have.

Does that make my comment valid now?

The ink on that page is horrible.

Horrible.

Dicey is responsible for one of the most important pieces of CGC Board art ever created.

135210.jpg

Great inking? Every single line on this page is the same thickness. lol

The definition of great inking is not simply that there is differing line weight.

Look at Winsor McCay or Herge or the majority of strip artists. If they have more than 2 line weights I'd be amazed.

And let me ask - have you ever inked? It's really not that easy. You can't go slow. You need to move fast to give it life. You really need to sling it to get the sweeping lines and energy. This art has that. His current stuff does not; its very flat. Compare the two and you should be able to see what I mean.

You do make a point here with McCay, and even Mobius to an extent - but they are masters at using the same line quality but within different spacing to suggest depth and distance. I would not consider Liefeld's work to be in the same school of inking, and while he does get some sweeping lines in his work, his short strokes is what makes his style 'his'.

His work is "chicken scratchy" like McFarlane's work - much of the fluidity that you talk about with inking is lost in that style, because you cut short the motion to make long, flowing lines. I won't place the entire blame of this style on Liefeld, but it's very prevalent in 90's artists. It was part of that hyper-detailed style that took off during that era. The only person who I think mastered this technique that comes to mind is Art Adams.

Sometimes he'll just stop drawing stuff, like a guy may have no hand or something he tries to hide it by a bunch of chikkin scratchins

Look at page one panel one-wtf is going on with dude's left hand?

Not everyone is able to evaluate drawing and storitelling skills — without an education it is often difficult.

For example, Don Heck, which is more than often despised, could teach how to draw and narrate to a good 80% of today's "artists".

Here’s some Crimson Dynamo from ToS #46, comrade! :D

B17ax8Lh.jpg

Wow...just...wow. I've never seen a group of people come together to support my argument so well before!!

Thank you all! I feel so loved!!

The mob that is you(you know who you are, take a bow!) continues to show that no matter what's presented you see what you want to see.

Again and again examples are posted and you refuse to be objective. You refuse to step back but immediately attack it with a fine toothed comb to find the flaws that support your arguments.

Every piece of comic art is full of the same mistakes if you take the time to look.

Your example of great storytelling is well appreciated. Let me be you.

1) You include a page where 5 panels have no backgrounds. The remaining 2 make me assume they're in the basement of the Eiffel Tower? Is that right?

2) I love how the light source changes in those final two panels. There's no indication that the dynamo and his friend move but their shadows do? Is this Peter Pan?

3) I'm always of fan of when the character design changes from panel to panel. Where does the dynamo get that pretty pink ruffled bonnet he has on his head in panel 4 that he didn't have before?

4) In panel 1 they walk past a very clear wooden door and some plants...why do they vanish in the next panel?

5) In panel 2 Iron Man appears to be standing on the middle of a ice skating rink? And whatever light source appears in panels 6-7 clearly avoids him entirely, leaving him shadow free?

6) In panel 4 the dynamo presses a button in the most comically unrealistic way possible. Surprised he's not twisting a diabolical mustache while he's at it.

7) And then a tank appears? Inside this skating rink?

8) And in panel 5 it looks like Iron Man is being broken into pieces...but based on the debris in panel 6 am I supposed to take it as complete disintegration?

Wow, I'm learning so much here...

So you ignore where he says Heck "is more than often despised" and focus on the fact that he doesn't like modern comics/artists. Don Heck is not a popular artist by any stretch of the imagination, but despite the *cough* great art on that page, it is easy to tell what is happening (you know, storytelling).

I'm really not sure you understand the english language at all.

I'm really not sure you understand anything at all.

Liefeld isn't the only artist that gets killed here. He probably gets it the "worst", but I dare you to find someone saying a good thing about Vince Colleta.

Sal Buscema gets props and gets dogged equally whenever we discuss him.

The Liefeld website is a bit mean-spirited in the commentary but, if you take out the nastiness, nearly all the points are valid. He's just not a very good artist.

I would be more shocked to see someone defending Coletta than Liefeld on these boards....the best defense would be his work on Kirby's Thor.