• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

At least some of you bought into the hype back in 1991 and were buying his stuff. He didn't make a ton of dough and gain a ton of popularity because people mocked him.

I remember buying Youngblood #1 back then. To my credit, I didn't buy #2 or any subsequent issue. :)

Peace,

Chip

By the time it was released, you probably had forgotten about Youngblood 1.

Have you ever read New Mutants #100? If you have, grab a copy and try and count the pages that have recognizable backgrounds. Anything, a wall, a tree, a lamp. Anything.

As opposed to 90% of current comics? Have you even read a comic in the last 10 years? Most artists do backgrounds on a single panel per page if they're lucky.

But hey, if the main thing you like to focus on in comics is backgrounds, more power to you. Never met anyone with a lamp fetish, but does not surprise me really you'd be out there:)

No, it wasn't quite good. It has never been quite good.

It was different.

You're right - it was great! Insanely great. I quite enjoyed it. And clearly enough other people did since it sold quite well:)

As to your claim that it was "good enough to make X millions"....have you ever heard of a film called "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace"....?

I'll hang up and take your answer on the air.

OK, so to be clear here - you're comparing a Star Wars sequel that was eagerly anticpiated for 20 years, to a comic book that was eagerly anticipated for 2 months?

Wow, way to put me in my place:)

Having been reading comics back then, and having quite enjoyed New Mutants, I thought X-Force was great for the first few issues. Same was true of Jim Lee's X-Men. In both cases They went to mess by about issue 5.

I've seen Waterworld and Ishtar and Giggly-they suck

So does Liefeld

Waterworld was quite good. I haven't seen the other two.

Have you ever read New Mutants #100? If you have, grab a copy and try and count the pages that have recognizable backgrounds. Anything, a wall, a tree, a lamp. Anything.

As opposed to 90% of current comics? Have you even read a comic in the last 10 years? Most artists do backgrounds on a single panel per page if they're lucky.

But hey, if the main thing you like to focus on in comics is backgrounds, more power to you. Never met anyone with a lamp fetish, but does not surprise me really you'd be out there:)

No, it wasn't quite good. It has never been quite good.

It was different.

You're right - it was great! Insanely great. I quite enjoyed it. And clearly enough other people did since it sold quite well:)

As to your claim that it was "good enough to make X millions"....have you ever heard of a film called "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace"....?

I'll hang up and take your answer on the air.

OK, so to be clear here - you're comparing a Star Wars sequel that was eagerly anticpiated for 20 years, to a comic book that was eagerly anticipated for 2 months?

Wow, way to put me in my place:)

Having been reading comics back then, and having quite enjoyed New Mutants, I thought X-Force was great for the first few issues. Same was true of Jim Lee's X-Men. In both cases They went to mess by about issue 5.

I've seen Waterworld and Ishtar and Giggly-they suck

So does Liefeld

Waterworld was quite good. I haven't seen the other two.

:o

I know his art stinks, yet I like it as well. I was getting into comics when he was starting, so I read Youngblood and Cable and New Mutants. Enjoyed them all.

Guess I'm in the minority.

(snip).

Your arguments are filled with straw men, that you set up, and then proceed to knock down ("As opposed to 90% of current comics?" - no one is comparing Liefeld to "current comics", or, indeed, anything at all. And this is but one of many you have posted.)

You may believe whatever you wish about anything. However, if you're going to have a debate about any issue, I would suggest learning how to do so without the need for strawman arguments.

Otherwise, debate is just a needless exercise in masochism.

Take care!

:hi:

I see a lot of background detail in current comics-Sean Phillips, Michael Lark....

I can't say I'm a fan of Liefeld comics. I'd say I'm less a fan of Liefeld's work than his greatest critics, since I still don't like Cable or Deadpool or Glory, no matter who the creative team is.

What I will say, which will probably cause more of a spoonstorm than actually admitting to liking Liefeld comics, is that I don't find him any better or worse than Jim lee, Todd McFarlane, Erik Larsen, J. Scott Campbell, or any of the popular 90's super hero comic illustrators. Which to me is hilarious. Liefeld's harshest critics will consider his art the example of the worst in comics, and their example of the best in comics is so close a match I have to look at the signature to know for sure it's not just another Liefeld image. They are literal clones of one another.

But too many people are chiming in with their sheepinions as if they themselves truly believe it.

hm Since you're in the know, perhaps you can offer a list of these people so they can be told that they cannot form their own thoughts on what they do or do not like.

That's why I only read good comics. But if all you want is two figures in body paint wrestling around in space on every page, go for it.

I can't say I'm a fan of Liefeld comics. I'd say I'm less a fan of Liefeld's work than his greatest critics, since I still don't like Cable or Deadpool or Glory, no matter who the creative team is.

What I will say, which will probably cause more of a spoonstorm than actually admitting to liking Liefeld comics, is that I don't find him any better or worse than Jim lee, Todd McFarlane, Erik Larsen, J. Scott Campbell, or any of the popular 90's super hero comic illustrators. Which to me is hilarious. Liefeld's harshest critics will consider his art the example of the worst in comics, and their example of the best in comics is so close a match I have to look at the signature to know for sure it's not just another Liefeld image. They are literal clones of one another.

If you can't tell Liefeld from McFarlane, Lee, Larsen, or Campbell, you're not paying very close attention.

:whee:

If you can't tell Liefeld from McFarlane, Lee, Larsen, or Campbell, you're not paying very close attention.

Look at the feet

+1,000,000

Yeah, I'm pretty speechless to that comment. That's a little like saying you can't tell the difference between a golfcart and a Ferrari. I get not everyone likes the art from the 90's, but saying you can't tell the difference is - well - a little ignorant of the art itself.

But too many people are chiming in with their sheepinions as if they themselves truly believe it.

hm Since you're in the know, perhaps you can offer a list of these people so they can be told that they cannot form their own thoughts on what they do or do not like.

Personally, I'd love a recipe for these sheep onions I keep reading about.

What the hell is growing on Warpath's right forearm?? Looks like the same thing growing out of Cable's left calf.

Where is Domino's left foot? Wherever her right hand went.

What is Shatterstar sitting on? Cable's lap?

Also, that crouching animal type character- Look at her left hand(s).

liefeld-nm-pinup-dark-wide.jpg

Edited by MR-SigS

Your arguments are filled with straw men, that you set up, and then proceed to knock down ("As opposed to 90% of current comics?" - no one is comparing Liefeld to "current comics", or, indeed, anything at all. And this is but one of many you have posted.)

You may believe whatever you wish about anything. However, if you're going to have a debate about any issue, I would suggest learning how to do so without the need for strawman arguments.

I'm being a strawman? About what?

Hmmmm....well, I'll give it to you that I don't have any photographic evidence of your lamp fetish but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist!!

blog_antique_lamp1.jpg

Fine, yes, throwing out 90% was an exaggeration. But the point is that present day there are FAR more people doing background-less comics than there were 20 years ago.

Here are a handful of examples of comics that make use of minimal backgrounds quite often:

Wizard of Oz: http://images.cdn.bigcartel.com/bigcartel/product_images/133689249/max_h-1000+max_w-1000/EC_Oz-001-008.jpg

East of West: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/03-27-2013-073825PM.jpg

Tmnt: http://cdn.nsnart.com/Images/Category_2/subcat_1004/tmnt31pg14-nsnart.jpg

Rat queens: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/johnnyrocwell/rqoa_sm.jpg

Saga: 0e53b1a81310d516656fe1bda3d8d8f8.jpg?h=8

I see a lot of background detail in current comics-Sean Phillips, Michael Lark....

Of course there are plenty of people who do backgrounds right. But there are plenty who cut corners constantly, far more today than in the past, leaving colorists to fill in the blanks.

What I will say, which will probably cause more of a spoonstorm than actually admitting to liking Liefeld comics, is that I don't find him any better or worse than Jim lee, Todd McFarlane, Erik Larsen, J. Scott Campbell, or any of the popular 90's super hero comic illustrators. Which to me is hilarious. Liefeld's harshest critics will consider his art the example of the worst in comics, and their example of the best in comics is so close a match I have to look at the signature to know for sure it's not just another Liefeld image.

Calling them clones might be a bit much, but they are certainly of the same ilk. And people always seem to conveniently forget that there were Liefeld clones and Lee clones all over the place for a decade. Those became the house styles.

If you want to mock the entire era that's fine, but to say Liefeld is horrible and Larsen is a god, come on now.

Look at the feet

Yeah, let's focus on Liefeld's feet only and not the vast majority of artists who hate drawing them:)

147107.jpg.a648bd21bea43aa48d48775d4f326b99.jpg

Edited by RabidFerret

This is a complete shock to me...honestly. I never realized people felt this way about Rob Liefeld's art.

In his defense, his art was very distinct and it stood out from the rest. He didn't copy anybody else's style. Liefeld was unique...one of a kind.

NM 98, NM 100, and X-Force 1 are some of the best covers.

The industry needed a fall guy and too bad Liefeld was "it". Young guy who did not know any better got thrown under the bus.

IMHO speculators who bought comics instead of investing in their retirement should share the blame as well - if there is demand, marvel, image, dc, et al will keep printing regardless of qualiity

This is a complete shock to me...honestly. I never realized people felt this way about Rob Liefeld's art.

In his defense, his art was very distinct and it stood out from the rest. He didn't copy anybody else's style. Liefeld was unique...one of a kind.

The industry needed a fall guy and too bad Liefeld was "it". Young guy who did not know any better got thrown under the bus.

IMHO speculators who bought comics instead of investing in their retirement should share the blame as well - if there is demand, marvel, image, dc, et al will keep printing regardless of qualiity

Voice of reason.

:preach: 'This too is true"