• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

This is a complete shock to me...honestly. I never realized people felt this way about Rob Liefeld's art.

In his defense, his art was very distinct and it stood out from the rest. He didn't copy anybody else's style. Liefeld was unique...one of a kind.

NM 98, NM 100, and X-Force 1 are some of the best covers.

That's a joke...right? Even Liefeld has called his style " a monthly version of Art Adams".

He wishes!

Of course...but that's what he was trying to go for. Calling his style "unique" is just silly as no one works in a vaccum.

"The day I retired from ever picking up a pencil or talking about comic books forever" By Rob Liefeld.

That's a joke...right? Even Liefeld has called his style " a monthly version of Art Adams".

I understand that's what he said (I'm taking your word for it), but Art Adams isn't the first thing that comes to mind. It looks nothing like Adam's work.

Greg Capullo's work on Spawn was basically a copy of McFarlane's style. There are a lot of artists who basically copy other's style.

Liefeld's work is unique (or distinct or whatever you want to call it)...good or bad is preference.

***I'm not taking into account how he destroyed the comic book industry or how he shafted local comic shop owners (a subject I need to read up on)...strictly talking about his art work.

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss

I understand that's what he said (I'm taking your word for it), but Art Adams isn't the first thing that comes to mind. It looks nothing like Adam's work.

Greg Capullo work on Spawn was basically a copy of McFarlane's style. There are a lot of artists who basically copy other's style.

Liefeld's work is unique (or distinct or whatever you want to call it)...good or bad is preference.

***I'm not taking into account how he destroyed the comic book industry or how he shafted local comic shop owners (a subject I need to read up on)...strictly talking about his art work.

It looks nothing like Adams's work because he's a terrible artist. I can still see ( especially in his earlier work ) where he was trying hard...at least on a superficial level, to look like Adams.

Obligatory to my Liefled rants:

Rob Liefeld's tweet about his DC editor's tiny pecker after he quit working for them last year reflects his consummate professionalism in the industry.

Repackaged ideas and concepts to create knock-off characters like Agent America that was so close to Captain America that Marvel threatened him with legal action. THEN, wanted to buy the rights to Kirby's and Simon's Fighting American character - but deciding it was too much, so he just created a rip-off character to dilute the identity and pressure the rights holders to sell it for cheaper. [ LINK ]

Written Image checks to cover personal expenses and pay bills for his non-image publishing venture Maximum Press. [ LINK under 'Departure from Image' ]

Creating an X-Themed comic team for Malibu Comics while working for Marvel, only to stop production on it after he was threatened with being fired? [ LINK from Sean Howe's 'Marvel Comics: The Untold Story' ]

Copying art/panels from other artists and not giving credit (to Byrne or Perez for instance)or passing it off as his own? [ LINK from Peter David's blog ]

Head hunting and stealing Image artists along with using Image staff to do promotional work for his own (non-Image) publishing company? [ LINK under 'Departure from Image' ]

Additional links provided by aggr1103:

Liefeld Kickstarted a Brigade relaunch last year - and it still hasn't shipped.

He's on his FIFTH colorist for the Brigade book

He expects it to be done by JUNE OR JULY - it was funded almost 11 months ago

He admits to producing ZERO comic work in 2013

Thanks to aggr1103 for adding to my list of points to make about Liefeld. Honestly, I can understand the concept of separating the man from the work - but how could anyone possibly stand up for this person's work once they have read the facts?

Greg Capullo's work on Spawn was basically a copy of McFarlane's style. There are a lot of artists who basically copy other's style.

I spoke with Greg about this a few years back and his response was "doesn't really matter who you are and what your style is, if Todd inks you, it ends up looking like Todd's style." (paraphrased by me - not Greg's actual words)

"The day I retired from ever picking up a pencil or talking about comic books forever" By Rob Liefeld.

I was thinking similarly. My favorite panel / art by Rob hasn't been created yet. It will be that very last panel.

Obligatory to my Liefled rants:

Rob Liefeld's tweet about his DC editor's tiny pecker after he quit working for them last year reflects his consummate professionalism in the industry.

Not to mention he has:

Repackaged ideas and concepts to create knock-off characters like Agent America that was so close to Captain America that Marvel threatened him with legal action.

Wanted to buy the rights to Kirby's and Simon's Fighting American character - but deciding it was too much, so he just created a rip-off character to dilute the identity and pressure the rights holders to sell it for cheaper.

Written Image checks to cover personal expenses and pay bills for his non-image publishing venture Maximum Press?

Creating an X-Themed comic team for Malibu Comics while working for Marvel, only to stop production on it after he was threatened with being fired?

Copying art/panels from other artists and not giving credit (to Byrne or Perez for instance)or passing it off as his own?

Head hunting and stealing Image artists along with using Image staff to do promotional work for his own (non-Image) publishing company?

Alll of which are referenced several times over online, I just couldn't find my previous post that had them in it.

No one is perfect, and everyone has skeletons in their closet - but I seriously take issue with someone who believes that acting unprofessional and trampling on creators' rights is perfectly acceptible.

Liefeld is as big a as there is in the business...

I spoke with Greg about this a few years back and his response was "doesn't really matter who you are and what your style is, if Todd inks you, it ends up looking like Todd's style." (paraphrased by me - not Greg's actual words)

Capullo's best work on Spawn was inked by Miki for me, he enhanced the drawings whereas McFarlane takes over

Edited by Maccai3

While still pretty bad (see elephant foot), the OA version isn't completely terrible. Once colored, everything goes out the window.

CDP1.jpg

If he takes his time with a drawing, they don't look half bad. IIRC, when he was pumping out garbage like NM, X-Force, and whatever those Image books of his were called, he was always behind, so he rushed the work. So now we have his legendary body of... work.

And my favorite Liefeld piece will be the last thing he ever draws, FWIW.

Plus, he charged me $140 to sign 7 books (all of 30 seconds), and he couldn't even be bothered to do one little head sketch.

:sumo:

there is no way i'd have paid

but then again there is no way i'd have 7 Liefeld drawn books

I hear this way too much when comics are brought up in the 90's or in general period " Rob Liefeld destroyed The industry" "He Can't draw feet,faces,remember that cap picture,Pouches etc,etc."well I do however agree(very much)that its true but its way too easy to add to this played out dead horse of a subject.However,I do have a a rather interesting question What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?This should be Interesting Can't wait to see what you guys have to say...

Well, since this thread immediately devolved into a bunch of sheep baah-ing the same tired, old criticisms and showing no appreciation or interest in actually discussing art, I'll actually answer the topic itself.

I think this is his best piece ever:

liefeld-nm-pinup-dark-wide.jpg

Plus, he charged me $140 to sign 7 books (all of 30 seconds), and he couldn't even be bothered to do one little head sketch.

Nostalgia is hard to bargain with.... ;)

I hear this way too much when comics are brought up in the 90's or in general period " Rob Liefeld destroyed The industry" "He Can't draw feet,faces,remember that cap picture,Pouches etc,etc."well I do however agree(very much)that its true but its way too easy to add to this played out dead horse of a subject.However,I do have a a rather interesting question What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?This should be Interesting Can't wait to see what you guys have to say...

Well, since this thread immediately devolved into a bunch of sheep baah-ing the same tired, old criticisms and showing no appreciation or interest in actually discussing art, I'll actually answer the topic itself.

i have no issue discussing art, just waiting for the issue to be brought up :whistle:

Nostalgia is hard to bargain with.... ;)

Isn't being nostalgic about Liefeld books kinda like being noatalgic about the pain I felt when I broke my leg in the 7th grade?

Well, it has feet. I'll give you that.

You wanna discuss art....? Fine, let's discuss art:

Look at the background. It's nothing but a poorly drawn "brick" wall.

Look at the feet.

Look at whatever that is Cable is wearing. It looks like a suit someone would put on for space or deep sea exploration. He cannot possibly move around in that contraption.

What the hell is growing on Warpath's right forearm?? And why is it bigger than his HEAD?

And why is his fist bigger than everyone ELSE'S head?

Where is Domino's left foot?

What is Shatterstar sitting on?

Why are Boom-Boom and Cannonball standing on a platform that isn't shown?

Look at Cable's left "foot"....then compare it to his right "foot"

This can go on and on and on....there are endless errors on this piece.