• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your first comic title or run that brings back the best memories from?

63 posts in this topic

You childhood? Obviously, this would depend on many things; when your actual childhood was? What you consider to be your actual childhood, etc, etc.

For example for me: as I grew up, I occasionally read DC, but grew up with Marvel. I loved the obvious, Iron Man, FF, Avengers, and even the not so obvious, like Sub-Mariner. However, The Uncanny X-men run meant a lot to me! Specifically, the Byrne/Austin run. Days of Future Past? Of course! In To The Savage Land? Yes! Dark Phoenix? Obvious!

What meant the most to you? what has had the most impact in your comic book life?

For me, it would be the Marvel Star Wars title. Star Wars 26 was the first issue I began collecting comics. I'm still a predominately Star Wars comic collector to this day. I had a brief sojourn into Star Wars toys in the late 90s, but I never quit collecting the comics.

I look back at the Marvel Star Wars run now and notice things I didn't when I was a kid. For example, Luke, Leia, and Han wear the same clothes they wore in the first movie for much of the run until the ESB adaptation and Carmine Infantino was really loose in his depictions of the spaceships. Despite these flaws, I'd still like reading these stories over and over again. First and foremost, they were fun. Darth Vader is still an unrelenting villain with none of the baggage he would get years later. (This is one reason I'm looking forward to the EU reboot. Vader can return to being the badass he was meant to be and not the conflicted individual he became in the EU. Also, he gets beat too many times in the EU for my liking.) The first story after the movie, a loose adaptation of the Magnificent Seven, cemented Han Solo's character as a loveable mercenary. The storyline with the Wheel was imaginative and gripping. New characters like Valance, the Tagge brothers (and sister!), and Shira Brie are worthwhile additions to the mythos. It was clear by the end of the Marvel title that there was no clear direction on where to take the story after ROTJ. So, while the end of the run was bad (I mean, really, really bad!), the first 90 or so issues are well worth the time to read and strike the right tone to immerse yourself in that galaxy a long, long time ago ...

The X-Men Brood saga. I think the first book I consciously picked up off the stands myself was UXM 162. I also vividly remember seeing the cover of the first issue of the Wolverine mini on the rack and I HAD to have it. I bough them all as the came out, and I still have them all (and yes, the last 3 issues are Canadian .75 cover price issues ;) ). I also loved Daredevil from 182-200, and all those PMIF issues out at that time.

X-men #118.

I bought it on the newsstand with a bunch of other books. Took it home to my grandparents place, opened the book and that double spread splash page blew me away.

X-men118splashpage.jpg

X-men #118.

I bought it on the newsstand with a bunch of other books. Took it home to my grandparents place, opened the book and that double spread splash page blew me away.

X-men118splashpage.jpg

Oh yes! Doesn't get much better than that, does it?

X-men #118.

X-men118splashpage.jpg

Oh yes! Doesn't get much better than that, does it?

Actually, it does. My first issue off the stands :cloud9:

X-Men-V1-111_zpsf3d77450.jpg

I used to love the What If? stories when I was a kid.

I always remember this one and thought it was cool :cool: .

2zxw6k3.jpg

I also used to like Classic X-Men and Marvel Comics Presents as I feel like I could get a complete story ("adventure"). When I was little I would oftentimes pick up comics grocery shopping with my grandmother. If I picked up one of the continuing titles, I had no idea what was going on if I didn't have the previous issues. Classic X-Men was fun just to read that individual book. Same as the What If? stories. :)

there are too many, and the one i present here isn't a comic everyone talks about, but i always loved it

it's a clear ilustration imho of what fond memories mean

Marvel-Fanfare-15_p01cvr.jpg

Marvel Fanfare v1 #15, 1984 - On April Fool's Day, the Human Torch barrages the Thing with seemingly unending pranks. At first glance, this tale seems almost too slapstick for Barry Windsor Smith's sophisticated style. And yet, it works surprisingly well within his superbly paced sequences and artfully designed layouts. Interestingly, the cover portrait of the Thing is quietly sentimental, a contrast against the chaotic story. This outstanding effort is among a handful Smith did for Marvel during the 1980s.

text taken from link

RTEPage-009_THINGmf15p8.jpg

clearly remeber laughing out loud while reading it all alone

regards

"affected"

:whistle:

Haha, thank you slym. I am normally a grammar Nazi at home and work, so I respect that you called me out on this! I typed this post last night after having...um...more than a few...?

;)

-slym

In the late 60s and early 70s my grandfather used to send me a Tintin book from England at Christmas and on my birthdays. At that time they were pretty much unavailable in the U.S. and every new one was a special treat. I remember looking at the list of titles on the back cover and anticipating what the next one he sent would be.

Ditko ASM from issue #24 and 26 through 37.

Bought those off the stands, and as it was tough getting back issues then it took awhile to gather the earlier stuff. I found a copy of ASM #18 in the back of a magazine rack at a U-Tote-Em store, it was like finding buried treasure.

I got a very tattered copy of ASM #5 from my friends big brother down the street.

And a coverless copy of ASM #22 from another friends comic pile.

Uncanny X-Men #172 and #173 (Wolverine in Japan), copies of which were borrowed from friends, is what got me into collecting comics. Uncanny X-Men #176 is the first comic I bought off the stands when I decided to become a comic reader/collector myself shortly thereafter.

Some of my first comics were Uncle Scrooge, Archie and Superman (Curt Sawn run) were what got me into reading to other realms. I also had read old "Broons" Saturday Post strips.

What If...Conan vs Wolverine.

Went to a local store to get some candy and when I was waiting in line to pay, Wolverine's yellow costume caught my eye. Picked up the issue and remember saying to myself "that looks pretty cool"...hooked.

My "childhood" was in the 70s and although I did have an awareness of superheroes ( I loved the 60s Spider-Man animated show), I predominantly read Richie Rich, Sad Sack, DC war comics, and Uncle Scrooge.

It wasn't until my "teenhood" (is that a word?) in the early 80s that I moved away from everything except RR and DC war and got heavily into men and women in spandex.

DC war and RR remained an influence for me and I collect and read them to this day. I am also now (slowwwwwly) building a mid grade reading run of the 60s Uncle Scrooge issues.

The future of superhero comics for me lands squarely in reader copies. That way I can enjoy the stories and I don't have to worry about trying to keep stuff in HG. My once great interest in HG stuff is waning and although I will keep some for now, I will eventually sell them all off.

I can't say for certain that this was my first comic book, but of my earliest childhood memories, this appears to be the oldest book I can recall. If it's not the first, it's definitely one of the first.

I picked up this 9.2 over at CL about a year ago.

RAD8DBAF2012827_122325.jpg

What a care free time that was back in '71. I was finishing kindergarden and oblivious to all this issues of the day such as Viet Nam, the race riots in Boston, and just how poor we were. We lived in a small crappy apartment in the city with only a tiny black and white TV to pass the day away (don't recall us even owning a radio). Both my grandparents were still alive back then as was my Dad whom I only saw on Sundays because he worked all day from Mon-Sat. Someone had thought to buy me a "funny" book to keep my occupied. It worked.

What's amazing is this year while vacationing in Portland, Maine, I stopped by Cassablanca Comics and 'lo and behold what I see on the wall. They had the original artwork for the cover hanging on display. I immediately asked if it was for sale, but alas it was not. That would have been the highlight of the year for me if I had came away with it.

Frank Miller Daredevils - I jumped onto reading them around 196, picked up the back issues shortly after. Close second would be Moon Knight and Master of Kung Fu. Those are the books that turned me into a true blood comic reader.