• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Legend has passed. H.R. Giger 1940-2014

39 posts in this topic

Aliens was the very first "Rated R" movie I was ever allowed to see in the theater.

It was way ahead of it's time and Giger was a huge part of that. :(

RIP to a true legend. :cry:

His creation terrified me more than anything else ever in my life. Nothing scared me more as a kid than the Alien.

Thank you for all the memories and nightmares.

I highly recommend a documentary that is currently showing in theaters throughout the world called Jordowsky's Dune. It is about Alejandro Jordowsky's ambitious, but failed, efforts to make Frank Herbert's Dune into a movie in the mid-70's. He locked in David Carridine to play Duke Leto, Salvador Dali to play the Emperor, Pink Floyd to do the music, Mick Jagger to play Feud Rautha, and Orson Wells to play the Baron.

Giger was hired to prepare the artwork and set designs for the Harkonnens and their home world. In doing this, he airbrushed a number of masterpieces. Giger steals the show in the documentary with his interviews, and you can definitely see how his work on Dune was a precursor to his work on the Alien franchise and other future projects. Here are examples of Giger's work on Dune.

gigercastleharkonnen_zpsc6e62df3.jpg

DUNE-VI_zpsb842c618.jpg

hr-giger-dune-worm-xii_zpsf30b81c7.jpg

DUNE-785x519_zpsd97f7519.jpg

images_zps9c61a617.jpeg