• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not All Local Comic Shops are Alike

60 posts in this topic

Holy cow, what a nice looking shop and it's only about an hour and a half away from me. I know where I'm going this weekend.

I found another super nice store in Cincinnati called Rockin Rooster Comics & Games. One of the nicest, cleanest and best comics stores I've ever been to. This Tenth Planet looks to be right up there too. Can't wait to check it out.

I'll tell them about your post. Maybe they'll cut you some advertising credit.

It's an hour away from me but compared to some of the other shops in Chicago this seems like it's worth the drive.

I assume the prices are reasonable?

depends on what you're looking at. you can deal with him on a lot of the stuff.

Ironically I used my places app on my phone when going to Wizard World Chicago last year and stopped in at this store. There is tons to see. I had a good time looking around.

It looks AMAZING and I love that they have seating areas were people can hang out, talk comics and stuff and look through all those bins!

I was sitting there today, looking at this.

tenthplanetcap27016.jpg

daddy like :cloud9:

"You better be holding a sandwich!"

Actually. I'm eating Cheetos with that yellow dye all over my fingers. He says its o.k.

Very nice store which attends to detail and seems to cover all the bases. (thumbs u

So how much for that Cap???

Dr. X what's the name of the store :baiting:? It looks AMAZING and I love that they have seating areas were people can hang out, talk comics and stuff and look through all those bins!

The name is Tenth Planet Comics in Schererville, Indiana. He'll order you anything you want.

Ooh. This isn't too far from my girlfriend's place. I will have to schedule a side trip this summer.

Nice looking store, with some very cool comics available!

We're blessed with good comic shops here in Omaha - they can compare to this. Bob Gelner has had a comic store here since 1975!

great looking store. I am amazed that he has so many great back issues on display and many of them are key books.

Here all that is on the walls on display are very picked over books.

There is a store in Calgary that is similar to that one.

Just personal preference when it comes to Magic cards. I've seen a couple stores completely ruined by gamers, as far as "comic books" are concerned.

I spend most of my money at a few stores in town, that do not sell Magic. I guess I'm lucky to have that option, not everyone does.

It does look like a really nice store there. (thumbs u

Looks like a really nice shop.

You tend to hear the negative stories here because most of us don't want to name our honey holes where they mess up on pricing and we walk out with tons of great stuff for nothing, but we have no problem outing the problem stores.

So you are left with places like these where they have good stuff, but the owner probably has a pretty good idea of what stuff is worth and you don't walk out with an extremely underpriced stuff.

with that said, even the big places make mistakes, pull stuff out of inventory and forget to reprice it, etc...explains how I picked up a DC Presents 47 in NM for under $2 from Midtown, a NM NTT #2 for under $5 and a Wolverine 1 in NM for under $5 (granted, during a 40% off sale) a couple of years ago. with that said, i don't know when the wolvie 1 was ever an $8 book as it was marked...maybe 2 months after it came out?

and yes, i had to plow through about 20 longies worth of stuff to find these that day.

Tremendous looking place, wish we could afford the space to display like that, but space is definitely at a premium over here.

Been out to A-1 in Sacramento a few times, that's a great store - Brian bought a bank, complete with the vault !

I know I'm a snob, but I try to not frequent shops that cater to Magic players.

Glad you have a place near you that you like though. (thumbs u

Just try to keep this in mind though, that collectible stores have to carry multiple eggs in their baskets. The more that they offer to the collectible community the more sales they will have. The more income, the more they can offer. (thumbs u