• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWSWEEK marvel comics bounces back 2.17.03

31 posts in this topic

Everything is slowly turning so positive for comics

Except that Marvels success has very little to do with comics and everything to do with movies. Until the monthly sales of comics show a dramatic long-term increase, I still don't hold out much hope for their future.

Except that Marvels success has very little to do with comics and everything to do with movies

Seems to me they should promote both simoultaniously, hence increasing sales of there comics line, hence increasing the bottom line..... crazy.gif

Now that's a bold prediction! Way to go out on a limb there!

Hey, it's better than the person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point who predicted that the second Lord of The Rings movie would be the "next big hit" in his sig line. That's like predicting that the sun will come up in the morning! mad.gif

Well, I think the "fair use" standard would let me post the following breakdown from the article:

Marvel's 2002 Revenue for Publishing: $64M

Marvel's 2002 Revenue for Licensing: $73M

Marvel's 2002 Revenue for Toys: $153M

So the actual comics (monthlies + TPB + HC) -- you know, the things we read and/or collect-- account for less than a quarter of Marvel's total revenue. If that's not bad enough, consider that the revenue for Publishing has to cover some pretty high costs for paper, printing, payments to the creators, etc. The revenue for Licensing is no doubt very close to pure profit at this point. It must be an uphill battle to justify investing a dollar in Publishing when Marvel could instead invest a dollar in chasing another Licensing deal.

Now we here all understand that without a healthy publishing business, the value of the characters for licensing and toys will dramatically diminish over time. And Jemas and Quesada no doubt get this as well. But I wonder if the next corporate master of Marvel will understand this? Or, if turns out to be another short-term-profiteer like Perelmann, will he/she even care?

Regards,

Z.

You are wrong; what you described is illegal. However, it's not likely somebody would bother to sue over posting here. To the best of my knowledge, simply posting a front-cover scan of a comic is an infringement of copyright law. However, it'd be dumb for the copyright owner to sue over it--after all, they WANT you to sell back issues, it's free advertising for them.

There's copyright infringement, and then there's what's worth suing over.

lol! What's wrong? No milk for your cornflakes today? Too bad so Didn't MomKhaos tell you, "there's no use crying over spilled milk".

What? What is this unprovoked attack about? Unless... oh YEAH! YOU were the person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point who "predicted" that the next BIG movie would be the sequel to the BIG Academy Award winner from last year! What a freaking insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Hey, here's another prediction for you: I bet the NEXT LOTR movie is going to be huge too! shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif Hey! Spider-Man made over $800 million... maybe you could go out on a limb and pick THAT one for your next big hit, O Magnificent Box Office Prognosticator?

Next time we'll work on your grammar... and if we have time we'll try to figure out exactly what the hell it was you were saying with your statement above.

Ok OldGuy,

mad.gif Huge difference in the over-all gloom & doom stories of a year or two ago and what I am reading now. With Marvel getting rid of a lot of debt and their bottom line coming up, WOW. A while back they were almost BANKRUPT with some collectors wondering who is going to pick up all those marvel characters once marvel ceases to exist. Their stock @ $10.00 up from $4.00 a year ago while just about everything else has tanked is huge. And then cd4"what"ever comes along and says, oh gee they're over-all success has had little to do with comics. Maybe, but they're going on about their business the only way they can. They are giving the public what the public wants. Comics will benefit from all this media exposure. When I read in these posts that a whole class now knows there's a Daredevil comic because of the movie, that tells me that a LOT more people know. A few will stop by a comic shop to buy one. And so on, and so on and so on.

I've believed all along that movies, books, merchandising and PROMOTION is what comics need to grow. How else are they going to get more readers. The exposure comics got years ago by being sold in drug stores, 7-11's, mom & pop corner grocery stores are now happening in video games, movies and for the first time in a long time MAGAZINE articles. Marvel will get the big bucks to promote comics even more. It's gonna be HUGE. Comics have in the past come back from the brink and they will again. Try and remember what the opinion of a lot a nay-sayers were awhile back. We had little positive news like we have now to go on. It's truly amazing how far Marvel has come in such a short time. And it's great to be here to watch it all happen again, from the ground up.

Come on AndrewKnight, give me a hand here, you know it's true. And OldGuy, thanks for getting my back up. Hope this explains what I meant by "We'll See." grin.gif