• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Silver said:

I bought these from the same person I recently got the CSS 22 from. I bought them on behalf of my brother who is really not a comic collector but has told me he would love to buy some EC horror books. A nice bunch of great books. I looked through the CSS 27 and thought the inside front cover text was cool (EC throwing in the towel on crime and horror comics). 

AF0052EE-13D4-4371-82BF-579229C6E353.jpeg

Very nice score! That Haunt 17 is getting to be a toughie!

6 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Dave, I'm afraid the board rules dictate that you post a full image of that Haunt Of Fear 15. Sorry, it's out of my hands.

(Nobody say anything! He might believe me!)

LOL 😂 

I added a full pic! I had this one CGC’d in 2004. To be honest I tried to wipe off the writing but was terrified it might be considered “Restored”. At that time, I didn’t think cleaning and pressing was allowed. There are a few bends on the back cover that don’t break color. I think it’d grade better with a little tender loving care. 

36 minutes ago, Dave Henson said:

LOL 😂 

I added a full pic! I had this one CGC’d in 2004. To be honest I tried to wipe off the writing but was terrified it might be considered “Restored”. At that time, I didn’t think cleaning and pressing was allowed. There are a few bends on the back cover that don’t break color. I think it’d grade better with a little tender loving care. 

Interesting to see the CGC label citing 15 as the first Old Witch. If you re-label to get the pedigree, you’re in danger of losing a GhouLunatic!

41 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Today's book.  I don't need to explain why this is a big one.  It's actually the first first issue from the initial wave of New Trend books that I've gotten; I have lots of the later first issues but this is the only one from 1950 that I own.

I've actually had my eye on this one for a while; I hesitated pulling the trigger because there were cheaper but lower grade copies popping up and I kept hoping a slightly better deal would show.  I finally pulled the trigger, oddly enough, when a slightly better copy showed: I decided the off-white to white pages made this the copy for me.  I think this book is insanely under-rated, by the way:  compared to the other first wave New Trend first issues this was a steal.  Now to crack the slab so I can actually read it!

(If you happen to see this post in the first moment after I post it:  I need to edit it to add the picture, since I'm typing this on my computer but I'll need my phone to get the picture since the slab won't fit my scanner.  Give me a moment...)

image.jpg

Bravo! I agree; very underrated, very significant comic book. Presents really well!

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Today's book.  I don't need to explain why this is a big one.  It's actually the first first issue from the initial wave of New Trend books that I've gotten; I have lots of the later first issues but this is the only one from 1950 that I own.

I've actually had my eye on this one for a while; I hesitated pulling the trigger because there were cheaper but lower grade copies popping up and I kept hoping a slightly better deal would show.  I finally pulled the trigger, oddly enough, when a slightly better copy showed: I decided the off-white to white pages made this the copy for me.  I think this book is insanely under-rated, by the way:  compared to the other first wave New Trend first issues this was a steal.  Now to crack the slab so I can actually read it!

(If you happen to see this post in the first moment after I post it:  I need to edit it to add the picture, since I'm typing this on my computer but I'll need my phone to get the picture since the slab won't fit my scanner.  Give me a moment...)

image.jpg

Great pick-up!

With your reflection, looks like he is calling YOU a “bilge rat”...:roflmao:

Edited by Robot Man

So, they've released the souvenir book for Comic-Con 2020 as a free digital download, since the show is entirely virtual this year.  I mention it here because there are several articles on EC in it, and a complete reprint of one story; "There Will Come Soft Rains" from Weird Fantasy #17.  I think I've mentioned this before, but if I had to pick one, single EC story as my all-time favorite, that would be it.  The Weird Fantasy #17 was one of only 3 EC's I kept when I had to sell a lot of books to pay rent.

https://www.comic-con.org/cciathome/comic-con-2020-souvenir-book

19 hours ago, OtherEric said:

So, they've released the souvenir book for Comic-Con 2020 as a free digital download, since the show is entirely virtual this year.  I mention it here because there are several articles on EC in it, and a complete reprint of one story; "There Will Come Soft Rains" from Weird Fantasy #17.  I think I've mentioned this before, but if I had to pick one, single EC story as my all-time favorite, that would be it.  The Weird Fantasy #17 was one of only 3 EC's I kept when I had to sell a lot of books to pay rent.

https://www.comic-con.org/cciathome/comic-con-2020-souvenir-book

Do they offer a physical copy? I dont like PDFs.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I remember the 2000 SDCC well. It was the EC reunion. I rarely attended many of the panels, but I went to all of these. And the autograph session was totally amazing. A row of maybe 8 or 9 artists lined up next to each other. Just went from one to the next with my jaw on the floor. 

I even wrangled my way into the banquet and sat at Evan’s table. We both have a love of WWI aircraft so we had a nice talk. 

Easily the best con I have ever attended. I shopped the dealer’s area but can’t even remember what I bought. So historic and the end of an era. Within a few years, most of these gentlemen had passed away.

Somewhere I have my program signed by all the guys. I should try and dig it out. 

Best Con Ever!

ec artists.jpg