• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

Bravo! :applause:My favorite EC title. I used to own all the Kurtzman edited books, as well. 
It’s going to work out fine that you’re slowing down now. You’ve got the super-hot war comics, and those under-the-radar horror books will always be easy to buy! :insane:

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Two Fisted Tales #19.  This gives me the complete run of Two Fisted Tales, and in fact completes my run of the Kurtzman edited EC's.  The only EC war book I still need is Shock #1 if you count it, and I consider that a borderline case. 

I'm afraid my EC intake is going to go down, since my paycheck is going down for COVID-related reasons.  I'm certainly not hurting, but my fun budget is tightening.  I wanted to make sure I finished this particular run before the pay cut fully took effect.

Since this is a complete run, I'll do my traditional posting of my run.  I may upgrade a few issues; better but still cheap copies are definitely an option on my reduced budget and most of my real beater copies were in the $5-$10 range. 

Two_Fisted_Tales_18.jpg

Two_Fisted_Tales_19.jpg

Two_Fisted_Tales_20.jpg

Two_Fisted_Tales_21.jpg

Congrats on completing that run! I know how important the Kurtzman books are to you. Personally, I find the war books (the whole line up), the best reads in the EC lineup. Book for book, probably the best war books ever published. Aces High is my favorite run. 

I’m still missing a few TFT including that brutal cover on #19. But I’m a horror and crime guy. Still need a few TFTC, VOH and CSS. Waiting for the right copies at the right prices but they are getting pretty pricey these days. I figure I can always get the last few TFT at reasonable prices. 

Sorry Covid19 has hit your funnybook budget. Probably the case with a lot of collectors right now...

9 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Congrats on completing that run! I know how important the Kurtzman books are to you. Personally, I find the war books (the whole line up), the best reads in the EC lineup. Book for book, probably the best war books ever published. Aces High is my favorite run. 

I’m still missing a few TFT including that brutal cover on #19. But I’m a horror and crime guy. Still need a few TFTC, VOH and CSS. Waiting for the right copies at the right prices but they are getting pretty pricey these days. I figure I can always get the last few TFT at reasonable prices. 

Sorry Covid19 has hit your funnybook budget. Probably the case with a lot of collectors right now...

I'm not sure the war books are the best in the line up... but I do think they are the most consistently excellent books.  The others are all a bit more hit-or-miss, even if some of the hits are spectacular.  Aces High is one of the only two New Direction books I think matches the New Trend for quality.  (Piracy is the other.)

Yeah, I'm sure I'm not alone in that.  At least the damage is just to my fun budget, not my food or shelter or other essentials budget.  I'm really lucky compared to far to many people.

In today.  Not one I would normally post here, but... Gaines File Copy.  And, even with two slight dings that bring down the overall grade, you can tell it's a file copy.  It looks like it was printed this morning.

Of course, this means I need to get serious about finding out how to get a book slabbed...

Mad_246_Gaines_File_Copy.jpg

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Very cool. I rarely see any MAD Gaines file copies. I bought this one slabbed just to say I had one...

mad273gainesfile.jpg

Nice!  My options were either spend $20 for a raw copy from a good dealer (Metro) or $200 for a slabbed book.  I figure it was cheaper to get the raw and then slab it.  AND get the pedigree label as well.

Plus, I like the cover on mine being by one of the original Madmen...

16 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Nice!  My options were either spend $20 for a raw copy from a good dealer (Metro) or $200 for a slabbed book.  I figure it was cheaper to get the raw and then slab it.  AND get the pedigree label as well.

Plus, I like the cover on mine being by one of the original Madmen...

Smart move and a great choice. Probably a good idea to slab it probably after a press if needed. Did it come with a COA of any kind? 

I think I paid around $35 for mine. I bought it slabbed at a show. At the time, I had no idea there were GFC of the magazines. I have not seen many. I wonder how far back they go or when they ended. Were there multiples or just single issues? 

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Smart move and a great choice. Probably a good idea to slab it probably after a press if needed. Did it come with a COA of any kind? 

I think I paid around $35 for mine. I bought it slabbed at a show. At the time, I had no idea there were GFC of the magazines. I have not seen many. I wonder how far back they go or when they ended. Were there multiples or just single issues? 

The only verification is the label on the bag, which has the Metropolis logo and states Gaines File Copy along with the issue details.  I'm not sure if that's enough proof for CGC, although the fact it just feels brand new might help as well.  I'm not sure if it's worth pressing, there's a super small tear you can see at the top of the front cover (between Flashdance and Matt Houston) that couldn't be fixed.  The other ding, a very light corner crease on the back cover (non color breaking) could be.  But with that tiny tear, the value of the book will be entirely in the GFC designation.

59 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

The only verification is the label on the bag, which has the Metropolis logo and states Gaines File Copy along with the issue details.  I'm not sure if that's enough proof for CGC, although the fact it just feels brand new might help as well.  I'm not sure if it's worth pressing, there's a super small tear you can see at the top of the front cover (between Flashdance and Matt Houston) that couldn't be fixed.  The other ding, a very light corner crease on the back cover (non color breaking) could be.  But with that tiny tear, the value of the book will be entirely in the GFC designation.

The fact that is appears brand new would mean nothing. I bought that off the stands, read it once and put it away. I don’t know how much credence CGC puts on notations from Metro or any other dealer for that matter. It usually comes down to the train of ownership or charastic marks. I have a bunch of Church books I bought directly back when he first brought out the collection. No marks, but they do have that Church feel, look and that “smell”. Not sure who is in charge of “peds” at CGC anymore. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

The fact that is appears brand new would mean nothing. I bought that off the stands, read it once and put it away. I don’t know how much credence CGC puts on notations from Metro or any other dealer for that matter. It usually comes down to the train of ownership or charastic marks. I have a bunch of Church books I bought directly back when he first brought out the collection. No marks, but they do have that Church feel, look and that “smell”. Not sure who is in charge of “peds” at CGC anymore. 

I didn't think the condition would mean anything on its own, I just thought it might help if CGC was on the edge of recognizing it based on the Metro notation.  Not "All books in this condition are GFC's", but "Most GFC's are in this condition."   Necessary but not sufficient is the phrase, I think.

I should really go on the Ask CGC thread and see what they can tell me; I'm also looking at slabbing a National Lampoon that MCS had as a John G. Fantucchio book.  The Panic #6 should be easier; it has a COA and printout of the original sales listing.

First, though, I need to track down reading copies of all three books before I put the peds into slabs.

Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone had a Johnny Craig collection issue and what the certificate looks like? I see them on eBay here and there and have bid on a few and won one recently and its on the way.

But after winning it I started wondering if its real?

Any help please?

2 hours ago, Raze said:

Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone had a Johnny Craig collection issue and what the certificate looks like? I see them on eBay here and there and have bid on a few and won one recently and its on the way.

But after winning it I started wondering if its real?

Any help please?

I posted a MAD 14 Craig copy with certificate back on page 179. If you bought it from Roger Hill with this certificate, it is authentic. He is selling Craig’s estate. 

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I posted a MAD 14 Craig copy with certificate back on page 179. If you bought it from Roger Hill with this certificate, it is authentic. He is selling Craig’s estate. 

Well in the pic of the item I won the cert was blank, so I will have to wait and see if its filled out. 

The ebay seller was not Roger Hill is far as I know. I didnt think Id win the book as its one I already own and just threw a bid at it. 

I wish I would have asked here before bidding!