• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Raze said:

Cant afford that 😜 so 9 Or 12?

Actually I got and kept a coverless copy of  #1 in 1956, and awhile back got a repro FC and BC for it. An older cousin had given me about a half dozen of them around that time period also.

There is a less expensive way however to read the stories.  I got seven of these, with color reprints of Mad numbers 1-23.  Sorry, can't remember when or where I got them, but maybe scour eBay.

MAD Reprint mag.jpg

MAD Reprint mag page.jpg

On 8/29/2020 at 4:35 PM, Raze said:

@Robot Man ?? I value your opinion as well sir!

MAD 9

or 

MAD 12

MAD 12 does have the classic Starchie and a cool 3-D feature but the cover stinks...

MAD 9 has a great Little Orphan Melvin by Wood and a classic Raven tale by Elder. Although Kurtzman is generally lower on my list as far as EC artists, #9 is a much better cover. 

Now, I am even a little more biased. #9 was the first comic I ever paid more than cover price ($2.), my first official EC and blew my young MAD mind. I credit it to turning me from a reader to a full fledged collector. 

So, for me, no question, #9 all the way!

Thanks everyone for chiming in about the MAD 9 or 12..I lost both and have a second chance offer that Im considering.

NOW to my newest and maybe "Problem" book. Is I mentioned at the top of the page I bought a Johnny Craig collection book its 

Valor 5 and its a nice copy but the certificate looks like it is printed and NOT hand written. I dont know if this is the case with all of the certs or not. It does look like the one @Robot Man has.

Here a link to the eBay listing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHNNY-CRAIG-EC-FILE-COPY-VALOR-5-WOOD-INGELS-WILLIAMSON-ART-1955-/303654620274?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=FIWv10PCWNBNMULpmg%2B1vG7SYJ8%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Any help or opinions are welcomed!!!

Scan 2020-8-31 21.44.24 1.jpg

Scan 2020-8-31 21.45.01.jpg

Scan 2020-8-31 21.43.16.jpg