• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

So, there was a fire in my apartment building earlier this week.  Everybody is safe, and I'm one of the lucky ones in that my stuff was undamaged.  But don't be surprised if you don't hear from me much for a few days as I try to find a new apartment, as my complex is full and the building has roof damage that means I can't stay here.  I'm fine in the short and long term, but medium term will be a pain in the for a bit:

Why am I mentioning it in this thread?  Because I'm moving at least a few boxes of books I normally keep at home to my storage unit, and that includes the EC's.

Here's a few favorite EC covers for fun, it will be a bit before I can get any more for obvious reasons.

Mad_011.jpg

Shock_Suspenstories_06.jpg

Two_Fisted_Tales_30.jpg

Weird_Science_Fantasy_29.jpg

Sorry to hear about your situation. If you have a family member close by please leave your comics with them. I wouldn’t trust storage lockers with anything comic or collectible related considering last year there were so many reports of people losing super high-grade massive collections in storage units.

5 minutes ago, Raze said:

Sorry to hear about your situation. If you have a family member close by please leave your comics with them. I wouldn’t trust storage lockers with anything comic or collectible related considering last year there were so many reports of people losing super high-grade massive collections in storage units.

I'm thinking of putting together a "The really good stuff" box, but I have too many books to store with somebody.  And thank you.

17 hours ago, OtherEric said:

So, there was a fire in my apartment building earlier this week.  Everybody is safe, and I'm one of the lucky ones in that my stuff was undamaged.  But don't be surprised if you don't hear from me much for a few days as I try to find a new apartment, as my complex is full and the building has roof damage that means I can't stay here.  I'm fine in the short and long term, but medium term will be a pain in the for a bit:

Sorry to hear but so glad no one was hurt! The books are just a bonus after that. Good luck on the apartment search! :foryou:

18 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Why am I mentioning it in this thread?  Because I'm moving at least a few boxes of books I normally keep at home to my storage unit, and that includes the EC's.

Here's a few favorite EC covers for fun, it will be a bit before I can get any more for obvious reasons.

Sorry Eric.  I’m glad you’re OK.

2 hours ago, Jayman said:

Sorry to hear but so glad no one was hurt! The books are just a bonus after that. Good luck on the apartment search! :foryou:

Thank you... and everyone... for your well wishes.  I definitely wound up with best case scenario for “home rendered uninhabitable by fire”, four of the units were pretty much totaled.  But best case is still pretty ugly.

I need to look for a fireproof safe for my best books once this is dealt with

10 hours ago, fifties said:

How did you come across so many EC remaindered copies, Marty?  I thought you had bought your comics off the news stands over the years.

There was a corner store that sold remainder copies for five cents each...EC Comics were not easy to find on the

newsstand, they kind of hid them...and these remainders were only a couple months old.  And, I was buying them

to read not to collect...the collection came later.

Marty

7 hours ago, Marty Mann said:

There was a corner store that sold remainder copies for five cents each...EC Comics were not easy to find on the

newsstand, they kind of hid them...and these remainders were only a couple months old.  And, I was buying them

to read not to collect...the collection came later.

Marty

I hear ya.  There was a small local grocery store in my area, with a spinner rack, holding cellophane bags each containing 3 coverless comic books for a quarter.   Bought many of them, obviously just for reading, which really introduced me to pre-code, in 1956.  Unfortunately I loaned them to a "friend", and it was the last time I ever saw them.  Once heavily back into collecting, I've been able to snag almost or all of them.

There always seemed to be a difference in the way the top third was removed...sometimes neatly, sometimes

cut through the first page and sometimes cut through multiple pages...had to be a rotten job.

IMG  CRIME SUSPENSE STORIES #5 PAC (200 dpi)     .jpg

Edited by Marty Mann

35 minutes ago, Marty Mann said:

There always seemed to be a difference in the way the top third was removed...sometimes neatly, sometimes

cut through the first page and sometimes cut through multiple pages...had to be a rotten job.

I agree! I wonder if any employee was a collector back in the day decided not to cut them and just pay for them and keep them. Wonder if that was allowed? hm

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

I agree! I wonder if any employee was a collector back in the day decided not to cut them and just pay for them and keep them. Wonder if that was allowed? hm

My dad's father managed a Woolworth's.  He ripped off the titles to be mailed in, and gave my dad (or other employees' kids) the copy with the top ripped off.  They must also have been sending back full covers, as my dad's collection (now mine) was a mixture of full cover (most), coverless (next most), and 2/3rd cover (least).  Do I know whether the full cover comics were bought off the rack or just taken home to my dad by my grandfather?  I don't.  Never occurred to me to ask.

I do know they weren't selling remaindered copies.

Edited by sfcityduck

Me and a couple kids in the neighborhood used to dumpster dive in the alley behind a liquor store. There we found multiple copies of many 3/4th SA comics, MAD and Cracked as well as, if we were lucky, Playboy magazines. We would sell off comics to other kids for a nickel. You could trade a Playboy for just about any comic you wanted. I guess I was a “dealer” at a very young age...:roflmao: