• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There are over 1400 9.8 New Mutants 98

100 posts in this topic

1400 copies in 9.8 is ridiculous. This is a micro bubble. More hype than real demand. More flippers than keepers. Eventually the market will figure it out.

I tend to agree that more flippers own this book than real collectors, and the bubble will burst and down will come flippers, wallet and all.

I think you can say that for a lot of books, don't you think? I have no evidence to back this up, but I'm confident that a good number of people own 9.8s for their exit value.

NM 98 is one of the best investment books out there (I'm sure many will disagree). Deadpool has become an incredibly popular character, and there is still a remarkable amount of room for said popularity to increase. 10 years from now, you'll be wishing that you picked up a 9.8 for $400. 2c

+ 1 to the 10th

I thought I'd try to compare the composite/aggregate values of some 9.8 key books to see how they stack up in total value next to each other using the census numbers as of today. I included Universal and Signature Series in the numbers, but left out the Restored and Qualified grades. Some Signature Series books are worth more than the average so I made adjustments to reflect that where it made an impact on the average value. These values are approximate and I used dollar averages based on the GPA rounded up or down. Total composite/aggregate values for each book are listed first.

$1,380,000 The Walking Dead #1, 690 in 9.8 x $2,000 each

$ 810,000 Hulk #181, 81 in 9.8 x $10,000 each

$ 622,336 New Mutants #98, 1,408 in 9.8 x $442 each

$ 415,800 Spider-Man #129, 77 in 9.8 x $5,400 each

$ 126,700 Batman Adventures #12, 181 in 9.8 x $700 each (quickly becoming a heavyweight)

$1,380,000 The Walking Dead #1, 690 in 9.8 x $2,000 each

$ 810,000 Hulk #181, 81 in 9.8 x $10,000 each

$ 622,336 New Mutants #98, 1,408 in 9.8 x $442 each

$ 415,800 Spider-Man #129, 77 in 9.8 x $5,400 each

$ 126,700 Batman Adventures #12, 181 in 9.8 x $700 each (quickly becoming a heavyweight)

I dont think any of those mentioned titles will catch up to NM98

...two of them are bronze age (so fewer 9.8 grade copies, and maybe fewer all together)

....walking dead had a smaller print run for sure, and most have been slabbed due to popularity and press.

...BA12 probably had less produced/kept, even though they were produced in the same era, the BA line was less "mainstream" than NM.

Also NM copies are still sitting in plenty of 90s long boxes, sure some BA12s are too, but the NMs far outnumber the BAs.

Dont expect too much of a price correction. Deadpool is really appealing to newer readers.

Don't really agree with your assessment as him being simply a combo of others as that could be argues about almost every "newer" character.

Get a 9.6 or a 9.4, saves you lots of money, can also try to get that pressed if a 9.8 is really important to you. I'm not big on 9.8's because I think they're way over priced. I don't mind having a 9.6 that looks just as good and have extra cash in my pocket.

Ultimately, Deadpool is and will remain relevant for the forseeable future. Get in now, because I think the price will go up before it goes down, regardless of the census. There will still be uniformed or simply wealthy people that will keep the prices where they are if not drive them up.

The value of this book isn't about the print runs (the market is already flooded with 9.8's). It's all about the demand, and what people are willing to pay (which is sometimes scary). The 9.8's are only $400 right now. I predict the value will increase significantly within the years to come. If there is a bubble burst pertaining to this book, It wont happen for a long time, and It may even be a similar burst to Hulk 181, in that it was the 9.8's that have taken a hit. Regardless of that, take a good look at how H181 is doing in any other grade, it's kind of baffling.

As I said before, there is so much more potential for this book to increase in value for years to come. If it's a 9.8 you want, get it now, because it's only going to go up in price, and I can guarantee that you'll never see the current price falter.

I also agree that a 9.6 is the bigger bang for your buck.

I refute and I don't own a 9.8. Happy w/a 9.6.

I personally have no interest in anything Marvel printed in the 90's. They were in MORE for the money than delivering quality stories. I don't hear people saying New Mutant is a good quality run - most people are saying Deadpool is popular.

Don't get me wrong - If any of you folks sells me a CGC 9.8 of NM 98 for cheap, I'm all over it. But expect me to flip it right away.

I personally have no interest in anything Marvel printed in the 90's. They were in MORE for the money than delivering quality stories. I don't hear people saying New Mutant is a good quality run - most people are saying Deadpool is popular.

Which is exactly why NM 98 is where it's at in terms of monetary value.

Which is exactly why NM 98 is where it's at in terms of monetary value.

I get that part. That's the reality of comic books nowadays.

I guess the target market here are speculators, casual fans, and kids who base decision on how many cosplayers dresses as deadpool or anything that indicates rise in popularity.

Another funny thing is - most of these speculators are the ones blaming Rob Liefeld for the crash in the 90's.

I personally have no interest in anything Marvel printed in the 90's. They were in MORE for the money than delivering quality stories.

As opposed to when?

The 80's X-men run by Claremont and Daredevil run by Miller is up there - I don't recall seeing 5 variant covers, embossed, poly bagged issues during that time.

I do not own a 9.8 New Mutants 98 but wish I did (I have 2 lower graded ones)....Although I like the Deadpool character I do not LOVE the Deadpool character...with that being said it's a no brainer that Deadpool and Harley Quinn are the two biggest characters to come out of the past 20-30 years.

They will be a part of pop culture for decades to come and as the younger generations mature these will continue to be key books.

I will be investing in both New Mutants 98 and BA 12 because I feel these 2 books bring the most potential moving forward (outside of DC & Marvel Silver Age of course)

Edited by shazzzam

1400 copies in 9.8 is ridiculous. This is a micro bubble. More hype than real demand. More flippers than keepers. Eventually the market will figure it out.

I tend to agree that more flippers own this book than real collectors, and the bubble will burst and down will come flippers, wallet and all.

People have been saying that for years. This book remains the exception to the rule.