• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage August Auction

301 posts in this topic

Who in the hell is buying all of this art? I went to Comic Link's current auction and every single piece of decent art is at least $2,000 and the upper end pieces are $20,000 or more. Are there really that many original art collectors who have unlimited funds? I make decent money but can't imagine having more than 2 or 3 pieces of art worth more than $10,000.

Who in the hell is buying all of this art? I went to Comic Link's current auction and every single piece of decent art is at least $2,000 and the upper end pieces are $20,000 or more. Are there really that many original art collectors who have unlimited funds? I make decent money but can't imagine having more than 2 or 3 pieces of art worth more than $10,000.

$10,000 is the new $1,000

Well, one thing to keep in mind is its a different pace. Comic collecting is a series of small hits. You get a weekly (daily? ) addition to your collection. Maybe it's 500 here, 100 there, 1500 here, 200 there, after a while its 10 grand. Art collecting is a famine and then a single 10,000 meal. You aren't grazing anymore... you're starving and then binging. /c

So you have to factor in that the art collector spending 10k every two months is making perhaps a single purchase.lwhereas the comic collector with the same budget might buy 10 books for that money. So using the size of a purchase as a predictor of the oa collectors budget compared to the comic collectors budget is flawed because the comic guy is typically buying stuff all the time where the OA collector waits and waits and then splurges when the right piece is found

1. Its the fellas that used to buy on ebay, but can't be bothered to look there any more (far too many non-OA listings to sort through in the OA section), and...

2. I see a steady increase in OA purchases from folks in Europe

Who in the hell is buying all of this art?

I would say it's primarily 3 elements:

- existing collectors digging ever-deeper into their budgets to keep pace with a runaway market

- existing collectors moving down in scale (e.g., someone now priced out of formerly $10-15K pieces now sets his eyes on current $3-5K pieces which now look cheap by comparison and is willing to pay more than the current buyers in that segment - this is partly how sales at higher tiers drag up prices of other material, in addition to making that other material look cheap by comparison)

- new collectors, including those crossing over from comics

I would say it's primarily 3 elements:

- existing collectors digging ever-deeper into their budgets to keep pace with a runaway market

- existing collectors moving down in scale (e.g., someone now priced out of formerly $10-15K pieces now sets his eyes on current $3-5K pieces which now look cheap by comparison and is willing to pay more than the current buyers in that segment - this is partly how sales at higher tiers drag up prices of other material, in addition to making that other material look cheap by comparison)

- new collectors, including those crossing over from comics

And Hugh Jackman.

And Hugh Jackman.

Is that Tom Fish's new nickname? :jokealert:

"Do you watch great '90s films, Tim?"

"On occasion."

"ALWAYS BET ON THE USUAL SUSPECTS."

147532.jpg.a41564019bdd51de4f1766d254602bd9.jpg

147533.jpg.85f7c42ece3f1cc275198a7a8e26c309.jpg

Don't forget dealers. Re longtime collectors, they can simply sell off those Kirby pages they bought for $50 a pop back in the day to finance newer purchases. Like playing with house money at this point.

Oh yeah, definitely true. Seems like dealers have been taking down more than ever over the past year or two.

I've noticed on my daily CAF e-mail updates that collectors who aren't necessarily hugely active in the 5-figure sector have recently been taking down a piece here or a piece there kind of out of the blue. I strongly suspect that people want to lock down what they can before prices potentially get any further out of reach. #FOMO #YOLO #artbubble :P

Don't forget dealers. Re longtime collectors, they can simply sell off those Kirby pages they bought for $50 a pop back in the day to finance newer purchases. Like playing with house money at this point.

Oh yeah, definitely true. Seems like dealers have been taking down more than ever over the past year or two.

I've noticed on my daily CAF e-mail updates that collectors who aren't necessarily hugely active in the 5-figure sector have recently been taking down a piece here or a piece there kind of out of the blue. I strongly suspect that people want to lock down what they can before prices potentially get any further out of reach. #FOMO #YOLO #artbubble :P

Indeed. I remember you used to say "I love it at X, but hate it a Y". Which most everyone understood, in the context of their own collecting. But for many collectors, that's morphed into "I love it at X, hate it at Y...and will REALLY hate it at Z. So I'll bite the bullet at Y." And so here we are.

Interesting…. this is ME. Though I'd never thought of myself that way until I saw it typed out right here.

Dear Arsene,

These are the guys who`ve changed with the times and realized that what used to cost $1,000 now costs $10,000, and what used to cost $10,000 now costs $100,000. They have modified their strategy and as a result, they will win pieces. Those who fail to adapt will go 10 years between winning anything.

Yours truly,

Your Good Friend Roman

$10,000 is the new $1,000

I think also, there are a lot who vary from "Fans / Collectors" and "Investors" - so, to many of the investors, original art is just a diversification of their portfolio just like stocks, bonds, real estate, etc. - and something they can also enjoy. To many of the collectors, it's also seen as somewhat as a "401k" retirement fund, something to buy, and stock away for future gains, but in the meantime enjoy the pursuit and purchase. Some fans have disposable income, in lieu of marriage, children, fancy cars, lavish vacations and other luxuries they decide to buy artwork. Many of the original art collectors I've met seem to have higher than average incomes with professional jobs, as opposed to being working class living paycheck to paycheck (sure, some use "time payments" layaway plans still too).

Every piece of art to a degree is seen as an investment and with a care towards the current and future value, otherwise why would anyone pay over $100 if not thousands of dollars for a few ounces of a 11" x 17" sheet of paper when they can own a digital copy of the image for free.

I think original art is being recognized as the true treasured "one of one" one of a kind item they are, and the better option than any CGC comic book or variant flavor of the month fads.

So, there still seems to be a tremendous upside opportunity with certain art (based on artists, titles and characters) to continue increasing in value. Plus, the "status" original art brings to a collector and self-fulfilling feeling of being the sole owner has it's draw to the ego too, in many cases.

I think the increase in final sales prices shows the demand in increasing for the lack of supply of quality pieces available in the market.

Apparently emerged from an old-timer's collection in the UK earlier this year. Picked up (presumably for a very favorable price) by a local collector who then made it available for offers on CAF (ending up with a cash/trade deal). Based on what I heard about that deal, I figured it would most likely end up at auction (and most likely with Heritage). And here it is.

Not a page that appeals to me, but it's "important" and will no doubt do very well in August.